1993 Star of Indiana Drumline

So 94 was kind of a prelude to BLAST?? What did you think of the Canadian Brass actual horns?? (not playing wise, but the actual horn itself) - Thanks for the info - again :P

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darlin,

Bill's days of surprising you are done. Won't be another Star...unless one of the vets hits the lottery and buys the rights to the name off the man. Truly. Only chance.

I've been on a ton of retreats, and have seen a ton of crappy performances based on emotion, lack of warmup, lack of pit support in critical areas of the tune, etc. Star 93 was a #####in' performance, and that horrible piece of video makes them sound like a bag of junk. It does. Fair enough. But if anyone thinks that's a true representation of their ability, they're smoking something. Don't think anybody said that (or meant that) here. Believe we're all friendly again. Move on!

Some of my favorite retreat performances were further away from the top, between corps that had seen and beaten up on each other all Summer long. Boy, that would make for an interesting thread...

Good night, lads and ladies!

Karen

Edited by kstein

So 94 was kind of a prelude to BLAST?? What did you think of the Canadian Brass actual horns?? (not playing wise, but the actual horn itself) - Thanks for the info - again :P

The horns were OK but I won't rave about the bass trombone too much...I think it was basically a repackaged Benge...I couldn't stand the attachment configuration. it was OK and held up OK but I loved my Bach back home. Actually, I preferred the songs that we got to put down our Bb's and pick up our Gs :) (uh oh...here's another can of worms). This topic is bringing back a lot of things I had forgotten about. Now, I vividly remember putting horns down the last time we played When You Wish on the Gs after the last show. Lots of tears...we knew they weren't going to use the Gs at all the next year. I wish I had bought my horn now.

This topic is bringing back a lot of things I had forgotten about. Now, I vividly remember putting horns down the last time we played When You Wish on the Gs after the last show. Lots of tears...we knew they weren't going to use the Gs at all the next year. I wish I had bought my horn now.

Great story

Wow - for supposedly being one of the greatest shows of all time, there was some not so great brass playing going on in the encore. Terrible attacks and intonation. You name it, it was bad.

Go ahead and bash, but the video/audio doesn't lie.

Nope, you are correct.

I am embarassed of that performance. I guess some members thought that it would be okay to forget about the technique during that performance and let it all out.......

The horns were OK but I won't rave about the bass trombone too much...I think it was basically a repackaged Benge...I couldn't stand the attachment configuration. it was OK and held up OK but I loved my Bach back home. Actually, I preferred the songs that we got to put down our Bb's and pick up our Gs :) (uh oh...here's another can of worms). This topic is bringing back a lot of things I had forgotten about. Now, I vividly remember putting horns down the last time we played When You Wish on the Gs after the last show. Lots of tears...we knew they weren't going to use the Gs at all the next year. I wish I had bought my horn now.

I feel the same about the CB Euph. I'd rather have a Besson any day of the week. I believe I was the only lower brass member to play the CB Euph, T-bone and a G bugle that year.

I like the bone better than the Euph.

But nothing was like the G king bugles..........

I REALLY think someone needs to put out a corps on those instruments!

But nothing was like the G king bugles..........

I REALLY think someone needs to put out a corps on those instruments!

I wonder who has the tooling....or if it still exists.

Then again...wouldn;t a Kanstul 2 valve like teh Marines bought last year be pretty much teh same? Zig DID design them...