Buglers Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees

Frank "Ironlips" Dorritie posted the following in the DCI forum and asked that we copy it here:

Congratulations to the Class of '07, their friends and families. The following will be inducted into the BHOF on Friday, June 29th, at a banquet in Bridgeport, CT, and honored the following day at the Barnum Festival Drum Corps Competition at Kennedy Stadium:

Bob "The Kid" BellaRosa - legendary performer on the French Horn bugle with the Holy Name (Garfield) Cadets and Skyliners, instructor, founder and publisher of Eastern Review and

Heritage magazines, founder of the original Drum Corps Hall of Fame Museum

MSGT Jari Villanueva - most prominent military bugler in the USA, countless ceremonial appearances at Arlington and elsewhere, heard on soundtrack of "Gods and Generals" and other films and documentaries for History Channel and the CBC, founder of the Taps Project (www.tapsbugler.com), U of MD brass faculty.

Dave Negri - soloist with the Springfield Marksmen, Hurricanes and Skyliners, educator, performed with US Army Band, Patti LaBelle, Donny Hathaway, Johnny and Edgar Winter,

Gutt Buckett, Bo Diddley, Screamin' Jay Hawkins and others, instructor for Connecticut Alumni and University of CT.

David Martin - soloist with Syracuse Brigadiers, Rochester Phoenix, Rochester Crusaders, Empire Statesmen, Eastman School of Music, Ithaca College, Cornell University Jazz Ensembles, Mighty St. Joe's Alumni, director of Rochester School District School of the Arts, director of "The Hit Men" (DCA brass ensemble champions).

Posthumous Honor Roll Inductees:

Louis Armstrong - generally considered the single most influential horn player in the 20th century. Many are not aware that his first instrument was the bugle. He will be represented by a delegation from the Louis Armstrong Educational Foundation and Archives.

Donald Angelica - famous for his soloing and arranging for both Garfield Cadets and the Hawthorne Caballeros among others, prominent educator, Chief Judge for DCA, DCI and WGI, Director of Music for National Champion Bergenfield HS Bands, mentor and inspiration to countless present drum corps and band instructors and administrators.

Hy Dreitzer - French Horn soloist with Skyliners ('50s/'60s), brilliant arranger who profoundly influenced the development of the modern marching brass sound, instructor for corps as diverse as the Skyliners, St. Rita's Brassmen, St. Ignatius All-Girls and many more.

Pepe Notaro - primo performer on both soprano and French Horn bugles, perennial Individuals champion, instructor for many "local" drum corps like the Fire-ettes and others, extraordinary motivator, spearheaded establishment of DCI's Div II and III to recognize value of smaller units in the drum corps activity.

Our congratulations to this year's inductees.

-john

BIG CONGRATS TO MY FRIEND AND MENTOR DAVID NEGRI!!!!!!!!!!!! DAVE, NOW YOU CAN BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hy Dreitzer was my first drum corps teacher along with MY ALL TIME FAVORITE DRUM CORPS PERSON MR. MARTIN!!!! Not only did they influence me in drum corps but also in life. I've been honored and blessed to have people like Tommy Martin :worthy::silly::wub: , Carmen Cluna, Hy Dreitzer and David Negri to be a part of my life and I will LOVE THEM forever.

The award was very well deserved Dave!!!

Congrats to all the other inductees as well.

Dave Martin. talented but did they do a background check?LOL

congrats to Dave Negri....this is the first I've heard of this, which is weird, considering he's been one of my instructors for years now with CT Alumni, CT Hurricanes, etc.... hopefully I'll be able to see him to congratulate him in person.

congrats to Dave Negri....this is the first I've heard of this, which is weird, considering he's been one of my instructors for years now with CT Alumni, CT Hurricanes, etc.... hopefully I'll be able to see him to congratulate him in person.

James,

Dr. Ostrander is the best teacher I ever had. Tell the Doctor, David Martin student of Herbert Mueller, I.C. class of '78 sends his best. If you go to Barnum, find me and say 'hi".

Keep playing James.

David Martin

"2007 BHOF Inductees":

Our hat is off to all of you!!!! :rolleyes:

Elphaba

• 3 weeks later...

The Buglers Hall of Fame Class of 2007

By Andy Lisko

The Buglers Hall of Fame inductees, for the Class of 2007, were recently released by the nominations committee. Frank Dorittie, the committee’s chairman, and a member of the inaugural BHOF class, said this year’s list (below), displays the fraternity’s dedication to honor those individuals who’s playing and teaching abilities help to mold the activity for all.

They will be honored this year at the 2007 Barnum Festival in Bridgeport, CT on June 30th – a venue, which has become a home to showcase the talents of these virtuosos. This year’s Champions on Parade returns to the status of a DCA competition and as an added bonus the HOF inductees will be playing some selections arranged by the fabled Hy Dreitzer along with the St. Rita’s Brassmen Alumni Corps.

When notified of his induction, David Martin, of Upstate NY fame chanted, “I am humbled to be amongst so many of my boyhood idols … “, while Jari Villanueava, considered the country’s foremost authority on U.S. military bugle calls, said that he is “… looking forward to the big weekend”.

Somehow, a buglers’ gathering would seem incomplete without the sweet sound of Bobby BellaRosa’s French Horn. He might even take time from his playing to sell you a copy of Eastern Review where you could read the history of Dave Negri’s playing and teaching accomplishments.

The BHOF members realized that its roster would never be complete without honoring some of the greatest legends of their craft that have passed on. This year’s inductees include four giants of bugling: Don Angelica, Louis Armstrong, Hy Dreitzer and Pepe Notaro. Each and every BHOF member in awe of the dedication and impact these gifted individuals had on inspiring so many young players while honing their talents.

The 2007 Barnum Festival once again once again offers drum corps at its finest. An exhibition of superb talent with only one purpose in mind – entertainment!

Be sure to mark down June 30th on you calendar to be a part of this extravaganza. You do not want to miss it!

Here’s the complete list for the Buglers Hall of Fame Class of 2007:

Name Affiliation

•Don Angelica Holy Name Cadets, Hawthorne

•Louis Armstrong Famed trumpet entertainer

•Bob BellaRosa Holy Name Cadets, Skyliners, Hawthorne

•Herman “Hy” Dreitzer Skyliners

•David Martin Phoenix, Empire Statesmen, Rochester Crusaders, Hitmen

•Dave Negri New Britain Grenadiers, Marksmen, Hurricanes, Skyliners, CT Alumni

•Robert “Pepe” Notaro Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Skyliners, Hurricanes

•Jari Villanueva USAF Band