Freshman Percussion Major Stuff Needs

RobRoy

I have a senior high school student who will be a percussion music major at a small private college this fall.

Can you recommend what supplies he should arrive with? Sticks, mallets, beaters, accessories? He would like to be well prepared, but doesn't need to spend an uneeded fortune of his parents' money.

I have a senior high school student who will be a percussion music major at a small private college this fall.

Can you recommend what supplies he should arrive with? Sticks, mallets, beaters, accessories? He would like to be well prepared, but doesn't need to spend an uneeded fortune of his parents' money.

Every program is different, but this is a pretty good list that is not too limited or excessive, obviously the books will vary from teacher to teacher. I find the advice to buy from Steve Weiss to be excelent.

University of Texas at Austin

Edited by JazzAgeBari

The school will tell him what to bring. No sense in buying a bunch of junk you won't need. If they don't tell him what to bring, I would advise a nice general collection of hitting impliments. The school will have specialized beaters (chimes, bass etc). A few sticks, variety of keyboard mallets (enough for two in hand), and a few mallets for timp etc. Anything else can be bought as he goes.

• 1 month later...