Anyone else see that Colts have Euphs?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior to 1990, the Colts occasionally used euphs as a 3rd and sometimes 4th low brass voice. . . modeled very much on the old Madison Scout horn books written by Ray Baumgardt. That was mostly brought about because of the influence of former Madison Scout members Jim Mason (Colts Director and often brass arranger (1976 - 1984) and Brass Caption Head Dave Asa (1980 - 1986). During those years, the corps was usually young, and regularly lost top talent to most of the Top 12 (in 1981 there were former Colts in at least 7 finalist corps).

The Colts used euphs as lead bari voice between 1990 - 1997. . . making finals 4 times (93, 94, 95, 96). I remember Gordon Henderson presenting a brass clinic at the 1992 DCI Rules Congress in Chicago, saying that something "new" to try would be to use euphs as a lead voice to better blend the tone of the upper end of the baris to the lower middle voice instruments (think flugels, alto horns, etc.). I remember thinking. . . "ummm. . . we already do this. . . ". . . but I digress. . .

In 1998 the Colts purchased Kanstul Bass Baritone Grande bugles for the baritone line. . . the first time the corps ever owned 3 valved baritones. . . all 20 on them. . . no euphs. . . and with that line they made finals 3 times (98, 99, 01).

I believe this is the second season the Colts have played Yamaha instruments. . . and it's only recently that the Yamaha marching euph as come up enough in quality (lack of intonation issues) that it's become a viable option. My friend and cohort, Jason Buckingham, tells me Yamaha has really taken a step forward in design quality.

Now, if truth be told, the history of the activity is filled with examples (not the rule, but definitely not a fluke either) of corps without great instruments or lots of money who still made finals (Magic, Bridgemen, Sky Ryders, North Star, Blue Stars, etc al). And then there are corps like Capital Regiment who avoided significant financial challenges, yet never made finals.

For better or worse, in the case of the Colts, other than the 2003 season, it's rarely been about whether the brass line was good enough or not. . . it has been in the years where all sections were at the top of their game that the corps was in the running.

I'm sure everyone has some idea of what would help the Colts secure a consistent spot in finals. . . certainly we Alum talk about it with great vigor at times. But out of respect for the folks who now call the Colts home, and because of my past role with them, I keep my distance. (See former president Jimmy Carter talk about current president George W. Bush for lack of a better example).

Best of luck to the Colts -- the table is set -- opportunity knocks.

Hit The Ball! (Inner Game of Tennis)

Swing Away! ("Signs" film)

Build it and they will come! (Field of Dreams)

:wub:

Your list of corps that made finals has only one remaining in the activity. Money does talk when you need good instruments, good arrangers, such as yourself, and reliable transport. I wish all corps well and hope that there is 15 place tie for twelvth.It is too bad though that the top 10 or so corps can be completley counted on to be there. It would be far better to have some parity. See you all this summer. :wub:

I guess that's not their full hornline/drumline in those pics...

~>conner

According to their tax returns for 2005, found on Guidestar.org, Cavies had gross revenue of $945,863 while Colts had gross revenue of $819,642. Not a huge difference IMHO.

let's not forget how much Cavies receive in donations versus Colts.....I'd guess it's three or more times as much

that quote is only revenue

The revenue quoted includes all income sources, including public donations.

Here are the latest tax return documents from Guidestar for the 2005/6 top 12 plus Colts:

Y.E.A. - $4,175,901 (2005)

Blue Devils - $3,297,918 (2004)

Bluecoats - $2,425,523 (2005)

Santa Clara - $2,018,801 (2005)

Glassmen - $1,592,439 (2005)

Madison - $1,056,676 (2005)

Cavaliers - $945,863 (2005)

Crown - $870,718 (2005)

Phantom - $822,207 (2005)

Colts - $819,642 (2005)

Boston - $725,454 (2005)

Blue Knights - $563,764 (2005)

Spirit - $521,557 (2005)

Interesting how $$$ do not always equate to placement.

That is very interesting. The income though sometimes doesn't meet the expense. Didn't Phantom have to restructure a 400,000 loan that was going to default? I wonder how many of these corps that you have listed only spend what their revenue indicates they make and carry no debt forward. Just a question, that I don't think could be answered. Anyways, like I said before, good for the Colts and go everyone. Now that I know the income I can go throw my letter from the Blue Devils requesting a donation away. :wub::wub::beer: