Now boys, don't make me stop this car! :blink: b**bs

sorry ...dad.... :P

actually unless you had a corps baby :doh: , youre too young to be my daddy

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting argument going on here...

Yes, some of the comments are incredibly harsh, and a decent amount are probably unwarranted to an extent. However, saying that one shouldn't have to put up with such verbal "abuse" (if you will) in drum corps is kinda like saying one shouldn't have to put up with it in, say, the military.

Now, I'm not trying to say that drum corps is at all comparable to the military... these kids aren't getting trained to save lives, protect our country, etc etc... But both require the participant to have the utmost mental and physical strength and discipline, as well as the capability to deal with whatever happens to be thrown at him/her. Those who ship off to boot camp know that they are about to get themselves into a world of mental and physical pain. I'm sure they hear a lot worse than anyone has on a marching field, and some of it is probably unnecessarily harsh and brutal... but it is what it is. It's similar.

I myself have never marched, but I will be for the next two years (assuming I don't suck at baritone :P ), but I've been told lots of horror stories from friends who have marched. Do I want to be verbally bludgeoned all summer? No, but it's inevitable, and it certainly isn't going to deter me from marching.

(edited for a few wording issues)

Edited by TerpCorpsNut

you still suck

im gonna punch you...

Interesting argument going on here...

Yes, some of the comments are incredibly harsh, and a decent amount are probably unwarranted to an extent. However, saying that one shouldn't have to put up with such verbal "abuse" (if you will) in drum corps is kinda like saying one shouldn't have to put up with it in, say, the military.

Now, I'm not trying to say that drum corps is at all comparable to the military... these kids aren't getting trained to save lives, protect our country, etc etc... But both require the participant to have the utmost mental and physical strength and discipline, as well as the capability to deal with whatever happens to be thrown at him/her. Those who ship off to boot camp know that they are about to get themselves into a world of mental and physical pain. I'm sure they hear a lot worse than anyone has on a marching field, and some of it is probably unnecessarily harsh and brutal... but it is what it is. It's similar.

I myself have never marched, but I will be for the next two years (assuming I don't suck at baritone :P ), but I've been told lots of horror stories from friends who have marched. Do I want to be verbally bludgeoned all summer? No, but it's inevitable, and it certainly isn't going to deter me from marching.

(edited for a few wording issues)

I understand your analogy, but at the same time, drum corps members aren't being taught how to deal with being a P.O.W., for example. The mental toughness you need for the military, IMO, is far different than what you need for drum corps. (Which you did say, I'm simply reiterating the point.)

Disclaimer: I haven't marched, nor have I been in the military. This is simply my opinion.

I think that many people are failing to realize that most of the stuff is over dramatic and meant to drive home a point (as a well as to be funny too). It's one thing to tell a kid he sucks straight up and another to put a creative twist on it. Who knows anymore.......I know that it is not nearly as bad as it used to be, so it must've been real bad back in the day B)

I understand your analogy, but at the same time, drum corps members aren't being taught how to deal with being a P.O.W., for example. The mental toughness you need for the military, IMO, is far different than what you need for drum corps. (Which you did say, I'm simply reiterating the point.)

Disclaimer: I haven't marched, nor have I been in the military. This is simply my opinion.

so...i havent been in the military either, but I'll say what I can. Again, noone is saying that the two things are the same, but in this case, with reference to what we are talking about, the similarities may outweigh the differences. I think we have to look at why staff members are the way they are (with regards to comments). Its the same reason they dont always give you a water break when you think you need it, or when you dont get the sleep you think you need. (this treatment is a seperate argument entirely...i know). The reason staffs do this, whether its the Cadets, Crown, or Southwind, the military, or even *gasp* a sports team, is to strengthen the members mentally as well as physically. We can all get into our own personal philosiphies about education, but in most cases, i think it is more of a style of teaching, or an honest belief, and not someone just thinking that they're all that. I mean seriously, its drum corps, 99% of the world couldnt care less about us. I realize that there are some occasions where people generally out of line, or are just A-holes, but i think its the exception, rather than the rule.

Ok...now someone please post a funny staff quote or something.

"No one has the balls to tell the Boston Brass that it's bad to use Edge"

so...i havent been in the military either, but I'll say what I can. Again, noone is saying that the two things are the same, but in this case, with reference to what we are talking about, the similarities may outweigh the differences. I think we have to look at why staff members are the way they are (with regards to comments). Its the same reason they dont always give you a water break when you think you need it, or when you dont get the sleep you think you need. (this treatment is a seperate argument entirely...i know). The reason staffs do this, whether its the Cadets, Crown, or Southwind, the military, or even *gasp* a sports team, is to strengthen the members mentally as well as physically. We can all get into our own personal philosiphies about education, but in most cases, i think it is more of a style of teaching, or an honest belief, and not someone just thinking that they're all that. I mean seriously, its drum corps, 99% of the world couldnt care less about us. I realize that there are some occasions where people generally out of line, or are just A-holes, but i think its the exception, rather than the rule.

Ok...now someone please post a funny staff quote or something.

Agreed.