Jacket on Ebay

I don't think the ebay seller is trying to "take" anyone. He (or she) NEVER said anywhere in the listing that it was a MEMBER jacket. Those words were from DCP posters who falsely assumed that it was a member jacket. Don't blame the seller. The ad isn't misleading.

I also edited out my error....sorry.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Gods! Someone is practicing Capitalism. I stand aghast!!! b**bs

It's a jacket folks, not the freaking holy grail. Not everything with a corps logo is sacred.

Agreed...not everything with a corps logo is sacred. That being said, some corps place a premium on being able to have a jacket. There are corps to my knowledge that you have to complete an entire season before you're able to order a jacket. So with it there's a symbolic representation of acheivment.

Are people actually bidding on this? Seems like an item that would only have value to the person who actually earned it.

Are people actually bidding on this? Seems like an item that would only have value to the person who actually earned it.

Nah, actually people have been known to steal corps jackets (dirt bags, I might add.) I spotted a couple of guys wearing corps jackets (a Vanguard Jacket and a Star of Indiana jacket) in NYC around '89-'90. Went over and talk to the guys and it was obvious they hadn't marched with the corps and were very iffy about where they got the jackets.

Probably should've hailed the nearest cop and set them on the pair, but it was NYC and I figured a cop wouldn't care ...

So with the talk that was brought up earlier, they sold jackets as souvies at one point. Obviously not "the" corps jacket, so I don't think there's anything wrong with this at all. It would be like me selling my 1992-1997 Madison Scouts Through the Years souvenir.

Agreed...not everything with a corps logo is sacred. That being said, some corps place a premium on being able to have a jacket.

And for the Garfield Cadets at the time, that premium was $30 or $50 or whatever they sold them for in the souvie booth. :) That makes it no more sacred than a t-shirt or bumper sticker.

Sounds like this guy on ebay did his part to support the corps by buying a jacket (or, if he received the jacket for making a certain level of donation, as George suggested might have been the case, then he REALLY did his part to support the corps). If he wants to sell it as a collectable, it's no different than selling a baseball card or any other piece of memorabilia.

I marched with the corps from 1987 thru 1990, and to the best of my memory the jacket sold at the souvie stand in the late 80s was burgundy with white lettering, and said "Cadets of Bergen County". There was no gold in these jackets. Also, people who bought this jacket tended to be supporters, such as proud parents.

I have friends who have had their jackets and rings stolen, and I wondered at first if this would have been one of the stolen items. I think people should be aware, while not the holy grail, these are revered items for alumni. It is pretty sick and unfortunate that people steal them and then try to sell them. Collectors who are the rightful owners can sell stuff (I suppose) but selling stolen goods is in a different league.

By the way, I just looked at my corps jacket and the banding on the bottom is burgandy with white and gold striping. And for the record, we purchased our corps jackets around spring move-in and had them to wear for our rookie season.

Edited by Colee

Sorry if I didn't know that that particular jacket was not a members jacket. It sure looked like one to me. And while I don't know how personal members jackets are to The Cadets, I do know what they stand for to some other corps. My thought was, that if it was a members only jacket, that maybe a alumni could get it and know what to do with it from there.

Carry on...........