The Hopkins Paradox

I agree.

During the performance one should not see individuals.

One should see what the design asks them to see.

In the case of cadets 2007, the design asks us to see individuals.

therefore

in cadets '07 one should see individuals and not see individuals

contradiction

I have not heard it so I can't speak to it directly. However, I would say that if the design asks to see the individual, then the individual gets exposed, as in a solo. A soloist may use different techniques and intonations in the solo than the rest of the group is using. I will have to see how The Cadets are presenting this before I can agree or disagree with you on whether I think it is a contradiction.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not heard it so I can't speak to it directly. However, I would say that if the design asks to see the individual, then the individual gets exposed, as in a solo. A soloist may use different techniques and intonations in the solo than the rest of the group is using. I will have to see how The Cadets are presenting this before I can agree or disagree with you on whether I think it is a contradiction.

I have already made the distinction between my use of the term 'individual' or 'individualism' and a solo or soloist.

What I mean when I use the word 'individualism':

Anything having to do with the performing member as a human being. i.e. Thier lives, what they go through in drum corps practice, all the things addressed throught the narrative parts in the Cadets 2007 program.

Individualism is an essential part of drum corps and should be celebrated, but only off the field.

Individualism should not be a part of the drum corps performance.

Individualism is not relevant to the drum corps performance.

I do not use the terms 'soloist' and 'individual' interchangeably and that distinction is crutial if one is to understand my argument.

You'll notice that this distinction has already been made by me earlier in the thread with relation to my argument.

Yes, a soloist can use different inflection than the rest of the group. But this is altogether different then the Cadets intentional emphasis (through the use of narration) on a members individuality i.e. their personal qualities and experiences. Elements that have absolutely nothing to do with any part of a drum corps performance, solo or not.

I agree.

During the performance one should not see individuals.

One should see what the design asks them to see.

In the case of cadets 2007, the design asks us to see individuals.

therefore

in cadets '07 one should see individuals and not see individuals

contradiction

You're thinking waaaaaay too much. It's just drum corps.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes."

~ Walt Whitman

One should see what the design asks them to see. - if the design team is asking for us to see individuals then who are we to argue with them? Also what is the big problem with this? You never really articulate why this is a bad thing, just some vague statement on how it goes against the "ideals" of drum corps. Silly me, and I've said this in other threads, but I thought the purpose of Drum Corps was entertainment and education. You can have both these things no matter what you decide to focus on in the show.

What Hop has been saying for years is that the members of the corps are such special people that it is a shame that the public does not get a feel for us as individuals. Hop and the staff have tried doing certain things in the past (anyone who saw the '04 warm-up at finals will remember the corps taking a break to go meet the spectators who were watching them) such as meet-n greets at the souvie tent, clinics for high schoolers, and various other things to try and have the members express their personality. This show seems just another way to reach out and show the public how remarkable the members are.

Personally, I think the strongest part of the Cadets organization is the individuals who make it up. That is not to say that other corps aren't tight families made up of remarkable people, but anyone who decides to come march in one of the hardest working, most storied corps in the world has to be special. There are no normal people in this corps. (Or i guess any corps for that matter :) )

anyway, I also agree you are thinking way too hard about this and trying to attack something that really is as close to a non-sequitor as the come in this activity.

I have already made the distinction between my use of the term 'individual' or 'individualism' and a solo or soloist.

What I mean when I use the word 'individualism':

Anything having to do with the performing member as a human being. i.e. Thier lives, what they go through in drum corps practice, all the things addressed throught the narrative parts in the Cadets 2007 program.

Individualism is an essential part of drum corps and should be celebrated, but only off the field.

Individualism should not be a part of the drum corps performance.

Individualism is not relevant to the drum corps performance.

I do not use the terms 'soloist' and 'individual' interchangeably and that distinction is crutial if one is to understand my argument.

You'll notice that this distinction has already been made by me earlier in the thread with relation to my argument.

Yes, a soloist can use different inflection than the rest of the group. But this is altogether different then the Cadets intentional emphasis (through the use of narration) on a members individuality i.e. their personal qualities and experiences. Elements that have absolutely nothing to do with any part of a drum corps performance, solo or not.

Yes, I understand your distinction and I understand that you are not using 'soloist' and 'individual' interchangeably. I'm only saying that I have not heard it so cannot agree or disagree with you until I do. I don't know what the presentation is. Do they have individuals coming to the mic and saying, "Hello, my name is Bernie. I come from Nebraska, etc.?" Or, is the presentation a description of what life is like for a typical drum corps person? Something completely different from either of those?

You see what I am saying. I cannot offer an opinion on something I do not know.

I speak for myself when I claim that my passion for drum corps demands serious reflection in order to find ways to improve it or understand it. But I assume all this is unimportant for rut-roh... after all, its just drum corps right?

Does one ever reallllllllllly understand art? Drum corps is an art form... so why attempt to understand it in a subjective manner, when its entirely objective and open to all sorts of individual interpretation? Sure you can subjectively assign quantative figures to the execution of a show, but show concept and design... to each his own there, good luck with that.

Besides, its not like creating controversy is anything new for the Cadets - we wouldn't expect anything less!

Could not the Individualism expressed also be universal for the entire corps? is that not what they are going for with their rather generic platitudes?

To express true individualism would almost require them to say uniquely individual things which would be completely confusing.

In fact, it’s partly the generic smurfiness of their statements that I don’t like. ‘Music is great' well, yeah of course you think that because you are a music ed major devoting an entire summer to music and you want to make sure music programs are not cut by the time you graduate and are ready to teach. Where as the unique approach would be more like ‘I’m a theoretical and applied mechanics major and I like sushi and reject the teachings of Anaxagoras.”

I really don’t care about the individuals in the corps per say more so now that they are more homogenous in their make up.

In fact, it’s partly the generic smurfiness of their statements that I don’t like. ‘Music is great' well, yeah of course you think that because you are a music ed major devoting an entire summer to music and you want to make sure music programs are not cut by the time you graduate and are ready to teach.

Shouldn't that be "Music is smurfy" or perhaps "Music is smurfalicious"

Sorry... just couldn't resist... people keep telling me to grow up, maybe one day it will happen.

Nah!!!!!

When I think of drum corps, I dont think of the shows I see on the field, but rather the countless hours of the individual in rehersals, and whatnot. Drum corps is not just what the audience sees, but is also the experience that a person has while on tour, and I believe that thats the concept that the cadets are getting at.

I don't know about anyone else, but it's not even June and I'm already tired of hearing about Cadets 07 show. B)