The Hopkins Paradox

No individualism?

Perhaps I was unclear.

What I mean when I use the word 'individualism':

Anything having to do with the performing member as a human being. i.e. Thier lives, what they go through in drum corps practice, all the things addressed throught the narrative parts in the Cadets 2007 program.

Individualism is an essential part of drum corps and should be celebrated, but only off the field.

Individualism should not be a part of the drum corps performance.

Individualism is not relevant to the drum corps performance.

I do not use the terms 'soloist' and 'individual' interchangeably and that distinction is crutial if one is to understand my argument.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent point. I had considered this as a counter-argument and I believe it is an important one.

Part of the aesthetic value of the drum corps performance is the fact that these are humans executing what I consider to be (and I think we'd all agree) quite difficult tasks.

However, I still maintain that technique can be appreciated without focusing on the individuality of the performers.

But we only teach technique as it relates to the entire ensemble. The individual's responsibilty for technique is to conform to the group. We are the Borg, you will be assimilated.

You can't take technique out of art. With no technique, there would be no art. Technique is just a series of mechanical skills used to convey emotion(art).

Maybe the show should be entitled "This WE Believe".

Drum corps is a celebration of individuals coming together to perform as one. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I agree that the activity as a whole is the celebration of individuals coming together to perform as one.

What I am claiming is that during the PERFORMANCE, (not to be confused with THE ACTIVITY) individualism as I have defined it, is not relevant.

The argument it well written, but I think your stretching a little too far out there to make it work.

Drum corps is a celebration of individuals coming together to perform as one. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

But we only teach technique as it relates to the entire ensemble. The individual's responsibilty for technique is to conform to the group. We are the Borg, you will be assimilated.

You can't take technique out of art. With no technique, there would be no art. Technique is just a series of mechanical skills used to convey emotion(art).

Maybe the show should be entitled "This WE Believe".

Techniques can differ. When you assimilate into one unit, you must use their techniques. Leave that group and join another, you must assimilate a new set of techniques.

I agree that the activity as a whole is the celebration of individuals coming together to perform as one.

What I am claiming is that during the PERFORMANCE, (not to be confused with THE ACTIVITY) individualism as I have defined it, is not relevant.

During the performance, one should not see individuals. One should see what the design asks them to see, be it an entire form or a soloist. Many times, the design asks us to see many things and we need multiple viewings. However, I agree with you that whatever the individuals bring to make up the corps' personality, they should appear as a body of one (definition of corps), even when members are doing different things.

Analogy, when we look at a person, we see one person, not billions of individual cells.

During the performance, one should not see individuals. One should see what the design asks them to see, be it an entire form or a soloist.

I agree.

During the performance one should not see individuals.

One should see what the design asks them to see.

In the case of cadets 2007, the design asks us to see individuals.

therefore

in cadets '07 one should see individuals and not see individuals

contradiction

You're thinking waaaaaay too much. It's just drum corps.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes."

~ Walt Whitman

I suppose one who uses such dismissive language as "its just drum corps" would believe I think about it too much. I speak for myself when I claim that my passion for drum corps demands serious reflection in order to find ways to improve it or understand it. But I assume all this is unimportant for rut-roh... after all, its just drum corps right?

I applaud your use of Whitman's sentiment. Its fitting for you considering you contradict yourself by speaking against the exchange of thoughts in a forum meant specifically for such an exchange.