The Hopkins Paradox

Don't take technique out of the artistic equation.

Excellent point. I had considered this as a counter-argument and I believe it is an important one.

Part of the aesthetic value of the drum corps performance is the fact that these are humans executing what I consider to be (and I think we'd all agree) quite difficult tasks.

However, I still maintain that technique can be appreciated without focusing on the individuality of the performers.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we have in the Cadets 2007 program is a paradox that contradicts the very virtues of drum corps. I respect Mr. Hopkins very much. I believe that he is always doing what he thinks is best for the activity. I would argue, however, that he is creating a paradox through his approach.

So what you're saying is: If we don't stop Hopkins RIGHT NOW he'll end up creating a space-time tear so large that it will fold in upon itself and we'll all just cease to exist?

What about soloists, individual dance / spinning features, individual costuming on many drum corps color guards throughout the years? That's not drum corps?

A single element of a drum corps can execute something alone or out of a section without comprimising the integrity of drum corps. When I use the term 'individual,' I do not mean to say a single member playing or spinning alone and out of a section. I mean 'individual' in the sense that they have a life outside of the performance that, during the drum corps tour, is completely occupied by practicing a show. This concept is emphisized by the Cadets 2007 program.

So what you're saying is: If we don't stop Hopkins RIGHT NOW he'll end up creating a space-time tear so large that it will fold in upon itself and we'll all just cease to exist?

He's a langolier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sshh:

Something like that...

The argument it well written, but I think your stretching a little too far out there to make it work.

Drum corps is a celebration of individuals coming together to perform as one. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Dude, I need the cliffnotes version of this post.

Cadets shows are really a pretty simple formula... just sit back and enjoy the ride.