Classic Countdown

I know there is a topic somewhere but I'd rather not go look. But I got to thinking, with the best of each placement....could that make an exciting classic countdown. The fan favorite of each placement. Discuss.

I'd like that a lot. What would be cool is if they had a countdown of just champions one year.

I'd like that a lot. What would be cool is if they had a countdown of just champions one year.

Because we'd all know who'd come out on top. '89 Vanguard, with '96 Phantom in a close second....

Yeah and this way we know for sure we're not gonna get the countdowns as before. And I think once you've been in one you shouldn't be allowed in again, unless in a few years they have the champions of class countdown.

True, but there would still be room for others. Could you imagine seeing the '75 Scouts, the '76 Blue Devils, the '83 Cadets, the '89 SCV, and the 1996 Regiment all at the same time? I definatly pay 8 bucks for that ticket.

Echo...echo...

Yes. Said something similar the other day. Don't know if anybody responded. Hats off to DCIGUY01 for all the work he's putting in on the "Best of Placement" threads. Makes things a little more interesting, though unfortunate a couple great corps will be left out entirely. Only changes, something should be done about the multiple winners. Madison dominated the middle of the rankings. They deserve the recognition, of course, but perhaps only the highest vote tally would get included??

Immersed in the criticisms of the current way of selecting the Classic Countdown is the human elememt; biases for or against various decades and corps. Why not give "totally random" a shot? Place numbers 1 through 12, or 10, or whatever in one bucket and all the corps, years, placements not shown to date in another. Draw a number from the first bucket and a corps from the second. Viola, a show!

Also, I'd include corps which made the "semi's." There are a lot of great 13th, 14th, and 15th place shows which, based on the subjective opinions of the judges, did not "make the cut." The Colt's '97 show, music of Blood, Sweat & Tears, comes to mind. (I would hope this disclaimer wouldn't be necessary but I have had no involvement with the Colts either as a performer, instructor, volunteer, or any other capacity. I am just a drum corps fan.) Anyway, I'm sure many readers of this posting can list many more unrecognized shows that did not make finals.

DCI, in its Classic Countdown, has a great venue to wet fans' appetites for the summer drum corps season. The advantage of "totally random" is that no one can then say "the fix was in."

The best way to improve anything is to ask the people for well-thought-out input as to what they want.