Corps jackets

So....

Where are the photos? I wanna SEE your jackets, everyone!

Thanks! :thumbup:

My HS one is in this one too

l_2037238132509c641f771a7b193b4651.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is still hanging in a closet. Probably can't wear it, but I'll never part with it. From the Del/Oakland website:

dscn3274.jpg

dscn3276.jpg

Also, our drum majors in '78 wearing theirs:

oakland78a.jpg

One thing I was always ticked off about: When I joined in '78, those shoulder stripes were navy blue and white, not black and white. The company got it wrong; it's a subtle thing, but the black and white is a lot more striking, and of course turquoise, black and white were the corps' colors.

Edited by byline

About 8 years ago, one of my precious sons decided to wear my Madison Corps jacket to school where they promptly lost it. This year he made up for it by buying me a new one. (in a larger size of course!)

I see the corps jacket as a piece of history - a memorabilia of when you marched - of course you are showing off - you are showing off where you marched - and obviously you had a great time other wise you probably won't be wearing the jacket.

I do not see ANY reason why a person should not where their jacket anymore - there is no valid reason - and if you want to get rid of your jacket for whatever reason - I think and this is just my own opinion - is you should pass it on to another corps kid who may treasure this piece of history. I know I would... then again I'm a drum corps junkie...

just my humble opinion...

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a good explanation as to why it would be considered in ANY way "stupid" or embarrassing to wear your old corps jacket if it still fits. If the only excuse one can come up with is "you'd be showing off," I could arguably say "you're darn right I am" as long as I wasn't being a jerk about it. If I marched somewhere and was in say three DCI championships, was proud of the corps I marched in and earned a patch for each year, why wouldn't I then be entitled to wear them? :lol: If that "bothers" someone personally because it's a pet peeve of theirs, well then they better figure out a way to get over it, because that's their problem.

I would look ridiculous wearing the one I had back in corps... that was 40 pounds ago! :wub: But I have a newer one from the alumni corps, and I wear it even when I don't go to drum corps related events. I posted a picture a while back of a guy wearing his Crossmen jacket on a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico I went on.

If a person wants to get rid of their old corps stuff or jackets and not wear them anymore, that's cool. But I need a VALID and reasonable explanation as to why I can't or shouldn't wear MINE if I choose to... seeing as how it's MINE ... and seeing as how I'm pretty much in charge of what I want to wear on a daily basis. NOT someone's "pet-peeve" is that old schoolers wearing their jackets irritates them personally.

One of the two bit the dust from old age. My black satin jacket faded, moth-eaten, sits in the closet. They can bury it with me.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

After cleaning out the house near Boston and moving to Florida I came across a lot of old 2-7 laundry items, my old white 27th Lancers jacket, vintage 1971. A few of Mrs. Bean's old Lancer T-shirts from the early 70's and a few baseball caps with the Lancer logo embroidered on them. I finally found my 27th Lancer alumni jacket, fully lined, made of wool and leather. Like thats gonna do me a lot of good living in a sub-tropical climate! The 1994 alumni corps uniform?? Folded neatly in an airtight bag and sequestered at an undisclosed location.

I don't know what to do with all this stuff. I though of storing them indefinitely. I even thought of lightening the load and listing them on Ebay since I really don't have the room to keep this stuff hanging in a closet. They are probably worth something at auction but I have funny feeling I would feel guilty let them go to someone outside the "family". After all, if you owned something like these jackets or T-shirts, you got them by earning the right to wear them.

I'll probably shuffle them from one place to another until...well, just until, I guess.

I'm with you brother - in spirit of course. I am still in ME. Mucho thanko to M-H for her recent email and keeping in touch. Congrats on the new home. Should I send you some snow in January?

I have my white corps jacket from 1974 hanging, and my entire 1994 alumni uni also hanging in my closet. Although we didn't wear them in 94, I have my green/white citation chord from 77. I suppose when the time comes, they should be burned rather than given away or sold for the same reasons Beanman mentioned above. (Unless there is someone that would respect it, and NOT wear it.) Wifey has her 1994 rifle uni as well. In addition she's got several rifles, including one from St. Pat's Stoneham before she joined 2-7 in 1981.

In 1980, my Spaceline characters had jackets made uniquely for them only. They "allowed" me to have one made and it is hanging also.

I have my timp mallets from 73, and my "ageout" tenor mallets from 77 - including boatloads of music from when I marched and when I taught. They mean nothing to anyone - but they mean everything to us.

Brian:

Because it shrank?

:wub:

That's it.......I wondered why my corps jacket from 1984 didn't fit any more.

I have a staff jacket from the 90's which fits better.....

And an all-age corps member jacket from 2003 that fits just about right.

Another thread got me to thinking…

What did you do with your?

Mine has sat in the back of the closet for about 20 years, making a few moves to different houses with me but never being worn. I should throw it out, thought about it a few times, asked my sister and she threw hers out but still, there it hangs.

And yeah, I could try to wear it, it’d still fit but I’d feel like cheese that was past the expiration date

With all the places I've been, the only corps jacket I still have is my Oceanside Legionnaires jacket - my junior corps where I marched until I went in the Air Force in 1970.