The Sound from Memph Town

The times I have seen the corps perform, they are really impressive. It's a shame that there aren't more local opportunities to see them. I know the corps members want to tour, ....and they should. But from the viewpoint of a casual fan, they just aren't visible in the community. There are so many opportunities for them to be out in the public eye here in Memphis.....Memphis in May, 4th of July parades, minor league ball games, etc. And yet, the only time most Memphians will get a chance to see them will be at the home show in July.

TFJ

Just so you'll know.......

There are TWO shows close to or in Memphis, to see Memphis Sound.

July 17 Sound of Champions, Memphis, TN

July 26 Music in Motion, Jackson, TN

Fourth of July - they are on tour, and will be in parades and performing in the Chicago area.

My son is a member of Memphis Sound again this year and he says they sound better than ever and that the show will

be AWESOME!

We live in southeast Louisiana, so will be going to the Jacksonville, Alabama and/or the Memphis or Jackson,TN shows.

The Memphis Sound schedule is available on their website.

RGW

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you'll know.......

There are TWO shows close to or in Memphis, to see Memphis Sound.

July 17 Sound of Champions, Memphis, TN

July 26 Music in Motion, Jackson, TN

Fourth of July - they are on tour, and will be in parades and performing in the Chicago area.

My son is a member of Memphis Sound again this year and he says they sound better than ever and that the show will

be AWESOME!

We live in southeast Louisiana, so will be going to the Jacksonville, Alabama and/or the Memphis or Jackson,TN shows.

The Memphis Sound schedule is available on their website.

RGW

Thanks for pointing that out. The Jackson show in some respects should be an even better event that the D1 show in the Liberty Bowl. In Jackson you can get seats up close and it doesn't cost and arm and a leg in admission.

Don't forget, also if you're in the area on July 16th, the corps will be perfoming in Tupelo, MS.

As for how they're doing, I've talked to Feagin and a friend and they have both said that they're doing great and they're really excited about this year and also that they're having a great time accomplishing all this.

I don't know about the guard situation, but Memphis has kinda always had a slight problem with their guard, I'm sure they'll rise above whatever circumstances they may experience.

Tiz- Guard may have had bumps last year, but it wasn't that bad every year.

I hope 901 rocks it! I really do. Just why no news via press. It's always "my friend that marches" or "I talked to Feagin and...". This is the first season in Memphis Sound history that news has been kept off the corps site.

The website certainly doesn't get updated very often anymore. A few years ago, you could get "news from the road" while they were on tour. I think the website is an afterthought these days.

For any local people reading this post....please do what you can to spread the word about the Memphis show on July 17th at the Liberty Bowl. This event is a real fundraising opportunity for the Memphis Sound, so if you want to see the organization thrive and be successful in the future, then help do everything you can to get people in the stadium on July 17.

TFJ

I will be going to the Memphis show. I will let y'all know how it goes, I always do reviews.

I don't know what's going on with the website either, it is frustrating when you want to get updates but all they do is tell you not to "bash their corps" :doh: when all you are doing is asking questions about what's going on. :doh:

As an original alumni of MB3 I feel like we have the right to know what's going on, more of us would step up to help if we did.

I just wish they'd let us know, some of us are coming to the show regardless, we just want to know how things are going.

I haven't seen one word about the show. I wonder if they're going to run commercials?

Some of us have been trying to help the organization thrive with donations and other ways.

I hope there is more communication involved, if people know what things are going on then they may be willing to step up more.

Edited by Lancerlady

I talked to the center snare a couple of days ago (he and I are good friends and went to the same school). He said they are fielding 5 snares (with scoops), 3 tenors, and 5 basses and that even though bass 3 had to leave for medical reasons, they found a later crossmen cut to fill the spot. The corps was relaxing on a day off after just having finished 3 weeks of everydays, and this may go against everything that's been said on the thread, but he told me they were planning on doing a couple local shows before making their way to Evansville. He said the brass sounds great and they have somewhere around 168 pages of drill on the field. The drums are still playing on the same Dynasties the corps has had since 2005, but they're supposed to be getting new Pearls in very soon-if not by the first show, then shortly after. That's all I've heard, but we'll all get some sort of idea in a few days.

Daniel Rice

Memphis Sound Cymbals 2004, Tenors 2005

Edited by dbrddr

When did they drop down to Div 3? They have always been Div 2.....

Ill be at the Memphis show as well. Kinda surprised they got the Liberty Bowl this year.... should be interesting.