The Sound from Memph Town

From what I've heard MS is doing fine, I'll talk to my friend tonight and see exactly what's going on. I've heard clips of their show and it sounds amazing so never fear!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did attend the preview last night. I would estimate the crowd at Bethel College to be 500+. The show is complete but as wold be expected they have much room for improvement. The hornline consisted of 6 Trumpet, 7 mello, 8 Bari and 5 contra. I was informed that they have one more trumpet player in house but not ready to march. I saw several holes on the field, looks like the horn line will be about 30 when all holes are filled. Percussion was 6 snare, 4 tenors, 4 bases. I was informed that a 5th base is on hand but not ready to march, he joined last week. There were 7 guard.

The night began with a stand-still run thru which went pretty well. The show concluded with a full marching run-thru. The performance was ok for the first time out, visually they had some issues. I would guess the score would be in the 48-52 range. The musical style is a completely new direction for the corps, I know the new directior wanted a clean break from the blues/jazz from previous years.

Good points:1) the show is complete before going on tour

2) The kids are working very hard

Bad points: 1) I will keep to myself to keep from being labeled a basher.

Go see them on tour to decided for yourself. Their first show is in Evansville Ind, Thursday night. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against REVO.

Too late, be expecting an email asking how could you say such a thing and have an opinion? :laugh::doh::doh:

If I was there I'd be labeling the bad points. I've already been labeled a "basher" because I ask questions so whatever. I've got this to say and I'm movin on.

They are wrong for trying to change the identity of the corps. Just flat out wrong imo.There is nothing wrong with having an identity. I heard the musical style in March and wasn't that impressed with the change. I thought at first it might be "interesting", but after hearing that they want to get away completely from their history by changing the corps song? <**> Now I'm ######. (I won't back down either).

The numbers are as I suspected and sound the same as when I saw them in March, so it doesn't sound like that WGI camp they were telling me about was the reason for the low numbers. Anyway....I will see them in Memphis and let y'all know.

I'm sure the kids are working hard, I just see visions of 83 dancing through my head right now.

Edited by Lancerlady

I did attend the preview last night. I would estimate the crowd at Bethel College to be 500+. The show is complete but as wold be expected they have much room for improvement. The hornline consisted of 6 Trumpet, 7 mello, 8 Bari and 5 contra. I was informed that they have one more trumpet player in house but not ready to march. I saw several holes on the field, looks like the horn line will be about 30 when all holes are filled. Percussion was 6 snare, 4 tenors, 4 bases. I was informed that a 5th base is on hand but not ready to march, he joined last week. There were 7 guard.

The night began with a stand-still run thru which went pretty well. The show concluded with a full marching run-thru. The performance was ok for the first time out, visually they had some issues. I would guess the score would be in the 48-52 range. The musical style is a completely new direction for the corps, I know the new directior wanted a clean break from the blues/jazz from previous years.

Good points:1) the show is complete before going on tour

2) The kids are working very hard

Bad points: 1) I will keep to myself to keep from being labeled a basher.

Go see them on tour to decided for yourself. Their first show is in Evansville Ind, Thursday night. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against REVO.

I forgot the PIT, I believe there were 9

This might be the most selfish and dumb posting I have ever seen in my entire life on a forum. LANCER LADY you need to get the sand out. Sound is not catering to YOUR wishes. We all know how you feel. Now you can stop sounding dumb. Someone please take this thread off this forum. It is getting stupid.

This might be the most selfish and dumb posting I have ever seen in my entire life on a forum. LANCER LADY you need to get the sand out. Sound is not catering to YOUR wishes. We all know how you feel. Now you can stop sounding dumb. Someone please take this thread off this forum. It is getting stupid.

It's selfish because I'm asking questions? Okay then... :huh: I'm not asking them to cater to my wishes, never once did I, I'm expressing my concern. It's stupid to be concerned?

Wow... <**> New to the forum I see....If this is how the organization treats people who ask questions, I can see why very few are stepping up to want to help.

Just because you don't want people to talk doesn't mean this thread should be taken off the forum. There is nothing wrong at all with this thread.

Edited by Lancerlady

there are obviously strong emotions here. from former MB3 members, mempho staff, and mempho members. i am a mempho alumni, and the last thing i want is for MY corps to suffer. i think there are all things that these three groups have seen that could have been done differently, that's a given. but instead of just harping on the wrongs of the past...why not work together on a possitive solution for the future.

Lancer Lady...we've started to develop a Memphis Sound Alumni Orginazation...maybe it would be a great asset to have MB3 members involved...since it is such a young corps. those who have aged out of the corps are not necissarly as well equipped to fullly front this.

i see the drop to div 3 as a strong possitive...something maybe the corps should have done from the beginning. build a stronger base of individuals who will actually stay with the corps. we've seen members go to nearly every top 12 div 1 corps after one marching with mempho. thats great...but they need to retain membership. look at what strides the blue stars made from being a div 3.

all in all.....i am looking forward to yet another year of THE MEMPHIS SOUND taking the field. not only that...but for their FIFTH ANNIVERSARY!!

i'd like to try and make my way to indiana for thursday...don't know if it will happen, but i hope it does.

that's all i got for now

901 with all my heart

Very thoughtful and intelligent post by a corps alum and obviously emotionally invested young man. Good for you. Hopefully the adults involved in this thread will take his cue.

there are obviously strong emotions here. from former MB3 members, mempho staff, and mempho members. i am a mempho alumni, and the last thing i want is for MY corps to suffer. i think there are all things that these three groups have seen that could have been done differently, that's a given. but instead of just harping on the wrongs of the past...why not work together on a possitive solution for the future.

Lancer Lady...we've started to develop a Memphis Sound Alumni Orginazation...maybe it would be a great asset to have MB3 members involved...since it is such a young corps. those who have aged out of the corps are not necissarly as well equipped to fullly front this.

i see the drop to div 3 as a strong possitive...something maybe the corps should have done from the beginning. build a stronger base of individuals who will actually stay with the corps. we've seen members go to nearly every top 12 div 1 corps after one marching with mempho. thats great...but they need to retain membership. look at what strides the blue stars made from being a div 3.

all in all.....i am looking forward to yet another year of THE MEMPHIS SOUND taking the field. not only that...but for their FIFTH ANNIVERSARY!!

i'd like to try and make my way to indiana for thursday...don't know if it will happen, but i hope it does.

that's all i got for now

901 with all my heart

Edited by noduttingoutloud

that's all i got for now

901 with all my heart

I want nothing but the best for Memphis but some on here have come after me attacking me for asking questions. I can understand how members go to top 12 corps that happened to us in 83 (Just a comparison).

I have tried my best to reach out to this corps as an alumni and have tried to draft other alumni to do the same thing but we haven't been welcomed very much. I even was willing to go out and talk to people (corporate sponorships) to get money donated to the corps like I did for a corps in Orlando that acted the same way when we tried to help. I'm very frustrated. It's like when you approach some people and say, "Hey I have some ideas of how to help this corps" They look at you say "we'll call you back", but never do. Then they get mad if you ask questions and come after you in a discussion forum.

Sorry I don't want to help right now, I'm very upset with this name calling that is happening. Not with this attitude of wanting to push help away, and change the identity.

I'm all for a new direction but you can do that without having to change the identity.

I've been in drum corps a long time and know some very influential people in DCI. I know a thing or two about what I'm saying, and I don't appreciate being told to just "go away and shssh.". I've been through 2 corps that folded in my own career in drum corps and I don't want that to happen again.

But I'm done with this subject. I don't need this drama from people telling me what I can and can't say, this isn't the 5th grade.

My concern is not being a division 3 corps but why the corps dropped in memberhsip. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

But some of the staff have come after me trying to tell me what I should get over and act like I'm not supposed to be concerned.

Good luck to the kids.

Edited by Lancerlady