The Sound from Memph Town

[quote name='MHSmirage' date='Jun 25 2007, 04:44 PM' post

They should be renamed "Tennessee Sound". No ties exist to Memphis anymore. Nothing done for the community of Memphis nor camps near it either.

You are right and it would be a good thing! Memphis is so nonsupportive of that corps, it is such a shame. I wonder why the mempis blues didn't make it? Good for sound. Why give to a place tha has done nothing for you?? You can say what you want but it's true. Tennessee Sound all the way.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did MB3 fold? Membership went down in 83, because alot of people went to other corps like Madison, Cadets etc....I was there, our numbers began to fall. If division 2 were around then, that's what we would've been then.

We went on tour and after DCI Birmingham show we folded. Not enough money was one reason, and people. That is not a nice feeling and I don't want that to happen here so that is my concern.

Yes there were problems in Brunswick (where we practiced) that's why we played "Brunswick Blues" in 82, but I'm sure if they would've stayed the course we would've found another place. I just think George and Lynn were ready to move on as well.

But the difference here is that "Memphis Sound" was just fine with Trey . You know the guy who originally brought the corps back to the area?

I know the real story of what happened but I won't post it here least I would be called a "basher" of the corps. Which offends me as someone who has supported this corps in the past. But when I ask questions somehow I end up being labeled a "basher". It seems this corps wants to push away from the alumni. I have tried to reach out and told them I would go around here in Memphis and help them get a practice area and that I would go and get financial support from my previous ideas that worked for another corps. It's frustrating when nobody got back with me like they said they would. But when I bring it up, "just come see the show". No I wanted to take an active role because when they dropped to division 3 after losing Trey, my radar went "Uh oh", that's the same thing that happened before we folded ON TOUR in 83. We dropped in numbers.

You're wrong about Memphis not supporting them. When Trey was director they did get alot of support from the local area. They got a deal with the Elvis Presley foundation and (I have the tshirt to prove it). They also had other projects that Trey was working on in the community with a little drum group to reach out to inner city kids. He was always reaching out to the community.

What has Memphis Sound done now to reach out to the community? Gone to "Munford" to practice and this other place I don't know where it is. Not to mention I haven't seen one commercial on tv about the show in Memphis.

I used to be in promotions in the music business and I know what it takes to promote a show. Promote, not just on a website. Take out ads, do a commercial. It's a tax write off anyway.

You can't blame Memphis for not supporting it's corps. How can they when they don't even know it's there? That's not their fault. So don't blame the city of Memphis.

I have alot of things on my mind, but I'll stop there for now.

Edited by Lancerlady

The corps is in better shape now than it has ever been, on the administrative and preformance sides. That is something that WE ALL can be happy about. The state of the corps in the past is in the past and it has moved on since then. Good luck kids. I am excited for you.

The corps is in better shape now than it has ever been, on the administrative and preformance sides. That is something that WE ALL can be happy about. The state of the corps in the past is in the past and it has moved on since then. Good luck kids. I am excited for you.

I hope they have a good summer too. But I wonder how we can all be happy that the corps dropped from division 2 to 3 status? How is that "better"? :laugh:

So you imply that Division III corps are less better than Division II?

Boo You!

It is just size.

So you imply that Division III corps are less better than Division II?

Boo You!

It is just size.

OH please. That is not what I "IMPLY" thanks for checking. :laugh:

I wonder how a corps could drop in size and people think that it's a great thing, that's all.

There's no need in flaming me for saying that. That's a perfectly "LOGICAL" question, wanting to know how some could think dropping members to qualify for a division 3 status is a better thing.

I said before if you read my posts I was there the first time when MB3 folded for the numbers dropping among other issues.

But, we shall see in a few weeks, won't we? Excuse the hell out of me for asking questions. I give up and don't care anymore how about that?

Edited by Lancerlady

quality, not quantity.

I've heard only good things from the members I talk to.

~>conner

I did attend the preview last night. I would estimate the crowd at Bethel College to be 500+. The show is complete but as wold be expected they have much room for improvement. The hornline consisted of 6 Trumpet, 7 mello, 8 Bari and 5 contra. I was informed that they have one more trumpet player in house but not ready to march. I saw several holes on the field, looks like the horn line will be about 30 when all holes are filled. Percussion was 6 snare, 4 tenors, 4 bases. I was informed that a 5th base is on hand but not ready to march, he joined last week. There were 7 guard.

The night began with a stand-still run thru which went pretty well. The show concluded with a full marching run-thru. The performance was ok for the first time out, visually they had some issues. I would guess the score would be in the 48-52 range. The musical style is a completely new direction for the corps, I know the new directior wanted a clean break from the blues/jazz from previous years.

Good points:1) the show is complete before going on tour

2) The kids are working very hard

Bad points: 1) I will keep to myself to keep from being labeled a basher.

Go see them on tour to decided for yourself. Their first show is in Evansville Ind, Thursday night. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against REVO.

I did attend the preview last night. I would estimate the crowd at Bethel College to be 500+. The show is complete but as wold be expected they have much room for improvement. The hornline consisted of 6 Trumpet, 7 mello, 8 Bari and 5 contra. I was informed that they have one more trumpet player in house but not ready to march. I saw several holes on the field, looks like the horn line will be about 30 when all holes are filled. Percussion was 6 snare, 4 tenors, 4 bases. I was informed that a 5th base is on hand but not ready to march, he joined last week. There were 7 guard.

The night began with a stand-still run thru which went pretty well. The show concluded with a full marching run-thru. The performance was ok for the first time out, visually they had some issues. I would guess the score would be in the 48-52 range. The musical style is a completely new direction for the corps, I know the new directior wanted a clean break from the blues/jazz from previous years.

Good points:1) the show is complete before going on tour

2) The kids are working very hard

How was pit?

Thanks in advance.

rgw