I feel bad

Before I post, I just want everyone to know that I mean to start no controversey at all...

I am sorry that the Skyliners will not be on the field at Rochester. Again, I do not mean to start any controversey. I am simply staing the fact that EVERYONE will miss the legendary Skyliners performing on the field this year.

I think everyone should consider the fact that Sky, Bush, Cabs, Fusion, Hurcs, and Sun are within approximately 80 miles of each other. When you factor in the junior corps like Raiders, Spirit of Newark, Surf not to mention the new corps like Network and Vision Elite...it justifies that it is NOT EASY to get members to join a corps all the time in that "hot bed" of drum corps.

Consider this as well. Many people hop from corps to corps to check out different places and different instructors from year to year. It happens often in the metropolitan area, and it happens everywhere else too. Back in the day, I know a lot of drum corps members were prone to staying with one group, as there was more pride in doing that. But these days, the demands on people outside the drum corps activity with work/school, rising gas prices, as well as other factors have changed how many people view the activity, and what they think it is about. They don't view it as any less important in there lives, but I think other things need to be more of a priority sometimes.

I don't think anyone is to blame for the demise of any corps. I think it is the world around us, and just the nature of the beast. If drum corps is an activity that is always voluntary, there will always be fluctuations in membership, as well as corps not being able to field a group sometimes. It is a very sad thing indeed, but it is the harsh reality of being a voluntary, not for profit organization.

Thanks for hearing me out!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wishing Sky a speedy return.

b**bs

Edited by capitalbrassdbc

Before I post, I just want everyone to know that I mean to start no controversey at all...

I am sorry that the Skyliners will not be on the field at Rochester. Again, I do not mean to start any controversey. I am simply staing the fact that EVERYONE will miss the legendary Skyliners performing on the field this year.

I think everyone should consider the fact that Sky, Bush, Cabs, Fusion, Hurcs, and Sun are within approximately 80 miles of each other. When you factor in the junior corps like Raiders, Spirit of Newark, Surf not to mention the new corps like Network and Vision Elite...it justifies that it is NOT EASY to get members to join a corps all the time in that "hot bed" of drum corps.

Consider this as well. Many people hop from corps to corps to check out different places and different instructors from year to year. It happens often in the metropolitan area, and it happens everywhere else too. Back in the day, I know a lot of drum corps members were prone to staying with one group, as there was more pride in doing that. But these days, the demands on people outside the drum corps activity with work/school, rising gas prices, as well as other factors have changed how many people view the activity, and what they think it is about. They don't view it as any less important in there lives, but I think other things need to be more of a priority sometimes.

I don't think anyone is to blame for the demise of any corps. I think it is the world around us, and just the nature of the beast. If drum corps is an activity that is always voluntary, there will always be fluctuations in membership, as well as corps not being able to field a group sometimes. It is a very sad thing indeed, but it is the harsh reality of being a voluntary, not for profit organization.

Thanks for hearing me out!

You forgot to mention the Cadets are in the area as well.

You are right, it is very difficult to recuit in an area with a lot of drum corps, especially if you are a smaller and/or lower placing corps. The demands of modern life do take a toll, as well as kids having more social oulets and available activities today. Colleges starting classes in late August have compounded the problem for corps with college students in their ranks recently as well. I know this has effected Sun.

Cadets are now from Allentown, Pa. Former home state was NJ. Now Hop moved them to Pa.

Edit because I got impatient and hit the button to many times :worthy::worthy:

Edited by BassClef8vb

Cadets are now from Allentown, Pa. Former home state was NJ. Now Hop moved them to Pa.

YEA is in Allentown but most rehearsals last I knew were in NJ. Could have changed this season but thats they way both Crossmen and Cadets were the past few years.

Well put Ben :worthy:

Don't forget other corps in the area such as Sky Alumni, Cabs Alumni, Lambertville Volunteers, Blessed Sac, Melrose Blackhawks, the brand new Jersey Ghost Riders, Emerald Grenadiers Alumni, Bayonne Bridgemen, and i am probably missing a corps or in there. I think there is a corps in Bound Brook and Boonton also. Even though Sun is from Rockland County, many of our members from NJ, and i picked up a friend from a Cadet camp in Carney's Point NJ, so he could come to a Sunriser practice. I don't know about other parts of our country, but i do know that the Northeast, especially the North Jersey and surrounding areas have many different Drum Corps. It just depends on your flavor(proximity, commitment level, parades, field shows, competitions, etc)

Just wanted to add to the list of Drum Corps in the area.

Edited by SunContra1