1977 Bridgemen

Over the Hill DM.....

1977 & 1980 Bridgemen are two of my all time favorites. 1980 Finals was my first live drum corps show. You guys are one of the reasons

my son is now marching(Spirit05,06,07). He grew up listening to old recordings of Spirit, Bridgemen and Blue Devils.

Just wanted to say thanks,

Steve

Steve,

You're welcome!

And thank you very much!

I love all three corps that your son grew up listening to!

And additional thanks for sharing the info about him!!!

Best of luck to your son, and Spirit, in 2007!!!

Jim

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That '77 Bridgemen corps remains one of my all-time favorites. I was at DCI Midwest in Whitewater to see them the first time that year, and they brought the house down. Apparently any rules violations were first discovered at Whitewater. DCI allowed Bridgemen to tour on the way to Boulder/Denver. Without the Bridgemen in the lineup of those tour shows would have lost MUCH of their allure.

I always thought DCI "used" the Bridgemen, reaping their huge box office appeal between Whitewater and Denver, and then pulling the plug on the Bridgemen at Denver.

We were at DCI prelims in Boulder when the announcement was made over the p.a. about a "problem", and all I said to my friends that it would be a HUGE shame if the Bridgemen weren't going to perform. Luckily they did. I was seated on the 50-yard-line at finals at Mile High Stadium, and the "boo birds" really let the Bridgemen have it when they were introduced. But, funny.... after they started performing the crowd went insane, and boos weren't heard the rest of their show. And Jim Brady was one heck of a great soloist!

Northern Thunder

Mam o man did you ever hit the nail right on the head.......... thats is the way I remember it..

Those three corps were not the only ones that marched overage in that time frame. There was another northeastern corps in 1977 that had a documented overage member the entire season. This was discovered by the management of another corps which proceeded to get proof from the State of CT of that member's birthdate and, when they approached said overage corps' management, that corps withdrew from their last show of the year in NJ.

'nuff said.

I marched in two drum corps with overage members.

I guess at the time it was only a problem if you were finalist material. :huh:

I'd be willing to bet there were a LOT more corps that had overage members than you can imagine. Just not many that were caught at it.

I've seen this article move around to various locations; this seems to be the most recent: A Bit of Bridgemen History

Unfortunately, there's little in the way of formatting, new paragraphs, etc., so it's rather difficult to read. Search the text for 1977 and begin reading there, and you'll find the whole story.

And, again, I will add that a corps won a championship that had "allegedly" marched two overage people for the entire season, and at DCI PRELIMS in the late 1980's!

Why doesn't THAT topic ever come up???

Actually, it does. I've seen it repeatedly. I think the reason the issue of Bridgemen comes up is for the very reasons you cited: It was a terribly painful experience for many of the people who were involved, and it remains a controversial series of events to this day. For whatever reason, some things take on a life of their own, a kind of legendary status ("legendary" in all meanings of the word), and this seems to be one of them.

HYPE!!!!!!

Don't believe the hype. :)

T028220A.jpg