New Uniform Pics and Discussion

Blue Stars?? - I'm not really sure yet. I think they look great on the drumline & pit. White drums???? :laugh: Personally, I'm not a fan.

Crossmen= my favorite new uni this year b**bs

i agree. Blue stars should have done a dark blue drum or something like what PR had last year like a red and blue fade. or that blue sparkle that bluecoats have.

its just way to light.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Don't sit on your hips."

I think that is a fantastic design, but the horns really do block the visual interest. Perhaps they look better seen in person. I like that they kept their old style of headgear. Helmet. I don't know what to call one of those things. They're sticking to their roots while updating their look. Love it.

I don't know why anyone would say that everyone looks homogenized - I feel like most of these uniform changes have moved pretty far away from generic.

I can't wait to hear the commotion when Cavies change their look.

That is a unique uniform design...and very attractive!

One thing, though....that color split down the body axis points to the ground....and makes it imperative that they hit their sets precisely. It is like an arrow pointing to the dots! I can also see design considerations that must be taken in order to maximize the color split.

BUT...this may be the new design of the year here! :laugh:

Stanbury Uniforms' Regional Sales Manager (California and Las Vegas) and Artist Relations Manager Pat Seidling (a former drum corps director also!) forwarded this to me to share with you all:

Stanbury is excited to enter it's 5th year as a corporate sponsor of Drum Corps International and is honored to have 12 active drum corps - in both DCI and DCA - wearing Stanbury-produced uniforms.

Each corps' unique identity and needs are reflected through a partnership that engages Stanbury production and design experts with the corps' own accomplished designers and artists, creating a look that reflects the

personality and goals of the individual organizations.

For the 2007 DCI and DCA season, Stanbury is proud to be associated with the following organizations and designers:

Phantom Regiment = New accessories added to the white corps uniform. Design and concept by Phantom Regiment, production by Stanbury.

Bluecoats = New uniform for 2007. Design by the Bluecoats and Bradley Sexton Designs, production by Stanbury.

Madison Scouts = New uniform for 2007. Design by Madison Scouts, production by Stanbury.

Blue Stars = New uniform for 2007. Design by Becorps First Impression Design/Brent Becker and Blue Stars, production by Stanbury.

Troopers = New uniform for 2007. Design by the Troopers, production by Stanbury.

Southwind = New uniform for 2007. Design by Southwind, production by Stanbury.

The Academy = Design by The Academy, production by Stanbury.

Reading Buccaneers Sr. = Design by Reading Buccaneers, production by Stanbury.

Teal Sound = Design by Teal Sound, production by Stanbury.

Oregon Crusaders = Design by Oregon Crusaders, production by Stanbury.

Blue Saints = Design by Blue Saints, production by Stanbury.

Capital Sound = New accessories for 2007 produced by Stanbury.

Stanbury Uniforms wishes safe and successful journey's for all drum corps this summer.

I can't wait to hear the commotion when Cavies change their look.

i wouldn't hold your breathe on that one.

seriously...THANK GOD the blue stars changed the uni's. they were the eyesore of DCI (nothing personal)

the bluecoats, now with their new logos, colors, and unis, look like a championship caliber corps, not a 14th place corps. bravo!

Please CLICK HERE to see it with a red plume... Judge it for yourself after you've seen it...

THEN...

Try it under the lights...

CLICK HERE

Check the snares & tenors! - I realize that the massive arms of low brass horn players "block" it, but there is a lot more definition in this shot than in the others.

Now... For the imaging geeks out there: Keep in mind that were are looking at an image from a point-and-shoot digital camera - Not an SLR - from the looks of the image data. :laugh: The Cannon Power Shot is NOT a shoddy camera by any stretch of the imagination - just thinking that the image would be more crisp, defined, and showing more light-based subtleties with a digital SLR.

-B

PS - Not trying to blame the camera - light was the point of concern.

Wow! That star really leaps out at you under the lights! One question, though...have you noticed how much the vertical color split points to the 'dot' in the drill? That can be either an advantage (fo a corps very precise in its drill) or a liability. The split does give more vertical height to the corps, however.

This has to be the change of the year, IMHO. Congrats! :laugh:

Although a lot of BS alumni are jumping on the bandwagon with the uni change, I'm not. Having finally seen it in action in Menomonie, I can finally state that I dislike it. It's a visual gimmick at best, and actually detracts from visual ensemble most of the time when it's not being taken advantage of specifically.

I will say, I don't think the red plume would work with the current design. The plume is on the white quarter side of the uniform and blends nicely. This isn't a compliment however, because the red plume was one of the things I considered part of the Blue Stars identity. Evidently, visual gimmicks are more of a priority than having great drill, marching well, and preserving a unique identity. Not saying they don't have great drill or execution...just that they apparently didn't think that was enough to get good visual scores with the classic uniform.

But that's just my personal opinion. I know for a fact that I'm in the minority on this amongst alumni and current membership. Lastly, this is nothing personal against the designer. I've seen his other concept sketches (like everyone else on here) and I think most of them are fantastic. But this one stinks to high heaven in my biased opinion.

I'll repost my thoughts on Blue Stars' new uniform from another forum:

Aesthetically, they're very strange looking especially in formations; the white has no definition and the blue side looks smaller than the white by comparison. If you're going for that look like BD's guard unis a few years back that's one thing, but I doubt that's what they intended. While the white plume works better with that uniform than a red plume would, it doesn't improve the overall package, which is very bland without any kind of bright color to set things off. Overall I don't think the uniform has anything bold about it; it's all off-center and undefined.

If I wasn't an alumnus, I would make the same comment about the change that I did when Madison changed their uniform: they went from a uniform that was unequivocally and undeniably connected to their identity on a very deep level, to one that was basically saying "please give us higher scores!" I can't recall a time when the Cadets, who have worn essentially the same uniforms for some eighty years, were told that they needed to change their uniforms for visual reasons, or at least not in a manner they took seriously. Likewise with any of the top contenders. They got to where they are by being themselves and ignoring the naysayers; they tied their identity to their goals and they reached them. Why do the Blue Stars believe that they can attain success by selling out their very well known visual identity? Yes, yes, I've heard the arguments about how they supposedly make it more difficult to make forms clean, which I don't buy at all, but if that is the case, this uniform is not a step in the right direction. If the Blue Stars want to reach their goals of success, they need to be proud of who they are and make it known to the world that they're not going to apologize for being that, not look for ways to blend into the crowd. I can't think of one successful drum corps, professional performing group or band, or individual who became a great success by just falling in with what everyone else was doing.

DCI in the YEAR 2020

toyota_robot61.jpg

Sponsers on the uniforms?