• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes hurry with pics too :)

from what I hear, the place was about 3/4 of the way full, hopefully someone has a review for all of us, were dying to know about this show

Kelly's has to be closed by now, so how was the show?

B)

Kelley's was closed when you posted, but you still may need to wait awhile for a review to be posted. Wildwood weather today: low 80's & sunny with a light, refreshing breeze. (In other words GORGEOUS beach day!) B)

Once again, I'll give a disclaimer stating that these are my opinions and should be taken as such. I will try and give a fair and unbiased opinion. Feel free to disagree with me but please if you wish to do more than disagree PM me personally. I'm not out here to offend anybody or any corps so please take my opinions with a grain of salt before you get upset. And finally, I really don't know anything about colorguard other than drops (which all corps had, which can be difficult with sabers as I saw several skid across the concrete) so I apologize that I do not feel qualified to discuss the colorguards of the corps.

With all that said here's my review of Cabs at the Beach!

First off Fran wore yet another loud shirt, there were 50/50 tickets galore and there was a corps atmosphere about the beach as noted by the variety of shirts sold at random boardwalk stores.

On to the corps.

Connecticut Hurricanes - I like the show idea a lot. Memories of Bucs 2001 are oozing from the concept and it definitely has a lot of potential. The Hurcs came out wearing spiffy new uni's (I would have gone for a little bit less lime green in the lightning bolt style but that's again just a personal preference, they looked very nice and professional, love that you kept the hat, they are really cool). As for the show itself it seemed that there may have been a lot of drill added recently. The closer had a good bit of issues with formations, step offs, etc. The music was well played but as with most of the corps this evening the drums overpowered the sound. With a smaller hornline like the Hurcs have this was even more of an issue but what I did hear was very good. Some nice solo work especially in the opener. The drumline other than having some of those overshadowing points seemed to work well with the music and the book is well written. Overall I think this show has a great bit of potential and there is nothing in the show that a good thorough cleaning won't help.

The Brigadiers - First off, I didn't really understand the changing of the name from "Syracuse Brigadiers" to "The Brigadiers" from Central New York State but I'm sure it has been discussed. Onto the show itself. As I stated in the MSJ Alumni show review this is my favorite Brigs show concept since 2003. A look into the past of the "glory years" of the Brigadiers brought back memories of that dynasty of the early 2000's. I was so glad to hear that the cadenzas in "Spanish Fantasy" were more polished and cleaned than at MSJ . And then there's Genvieve, I can honestly say I have never in my life heard a more beautiful solo than the one in "The first time ever I saw your face". It is a travesty that she has not been named Best soloist. Dare I say, for my taste she is the best baritone soloist in DCA history (sorry if you're reading this Walt, no hard feelings :) ). The note she hit right before the full corps returns after the solo/duet was amazing! The show progressed nicely however the hornline seemed to run out of gas by the closer. With about a minute to go in the show the hornline really turned it on again for a phenomenal finish. Those mello licks, especially in "Spanish Fantasy" and in the closer are amazing. There was a time in the show where I said "OOOHHH Mello!!!!" The drumline has some very exicting points in the show which have definite "wow" potential. Again there were some visual issues especially with lines and stepoffs but again with some cleaning it is easily fixed. Very nice work Brigadiers, you have improved much since I saw you last. This was possibly my favorite show concept wise of the night and I definitely look forward to seeing it again.

Reading Buccaneers - The Buccaneers came out with their usual gusto and vocalization chants which were an interesting addition to the program (we're not talking about bunnies and doors here). The bucs definitely had the loudest hornline of the night and the sound they produced was very good. The one negative thing I will say about the Bucs show was that it seemed that the dynamics were stuck on loud the entire night. I wish there was more dynamic contrast in some points. I really like the addition of the siren (brings back memories of BD 96) and it added to the sound of the "fury" of the music. The show concept I believe is a good one with an interesting take on one of my favorites "Rhapsody in Blue". The drumline was in your face as usual with attitude and some killer licks that got lots of appreciation from the crowd. Visually the program was solid but there was the occasional miscue on the parts of some members which can definitely be fixed. The Bucs definitely made their presence known on the beach.

Empire Statesmen - Statesmen were doing a Maynard (RIP) show, and as such I was extremely excited for this show as Maynard is one of my idols in music. I'm not really sure why but I was disappointed by this show. In previous years the FANTASTIC solo work by Joey Pero and Ritchee Price has complimented the corps very well, however this year it seemed like the entire show was focused almost entirely on the two of them. One thing I loved about Maynard's bands was that he always surrounded himself with fantastic players who complimented his solo work very well. I know that the Statesmen have some great players in the hornline and I wish they would have been featured more. I enjoyed the arrangements which were very similar to the original Maynard recordings (although I prefer Joey's arrangement of Pagliacci that is played with Ghost Riders to this one). Overall the sound of the hornline was a little thinner than in previous years. The drumline had some great moments in it as well, and I'm amazed at some of the players in that line. Again this is just personal preference but I would have liked to see more of an overall ensemble sound than just phenomenal solo's. Again, I think that the corps has a very good program and I know that we have not heard the last from the Statesmen this year.

Hawthorne Caballeros - What can I say about the Cabs? To me the Cabs' show was the most surprising, in a good way. Although there is no screaming solos from years gone past this is a very solid sounding hornline and corps in general. I played Carmen in my college band Sophomore year and I love the idea that the corps has taken with the music. Bizet is one of my favorite composers and the arranging really makes his music shine. The drumline came out and was laying down lick after lick of good stuff. The biggest difference I see from recent years is the improved visual aspect of the Corps. As I watched the Cabs rehearse I saw Bobby Jones who, to me (here's a little bit of bias) is a great visual designer and wonderful motivator. The Visual Caption Head, Eric Robertshaw, is the person who motivated me the most when I marched in 2005 and I know that his presence at the Caballeros is definitely being felt (End Bias). Again I loved the mellos in this corps. For some reason this years mellophone sections are amazing! A very solid performance by the Cabs, Watch out for the Red Bull this year (sadly though they do not have wings :lolhit: )

Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni - What can I say, they are still the best. Cabs Alumni came out and blew the place down. Jimmy Russo was ever the showman that he has always been, Ponzo and the other guys (I'm pretty sure I saw that one soloist from the 77 show but I can't recognize any of the others :( ) were in rare form not only screaming but projecting with phenomenal tone. The drumline made the crowd dance and shake in their seats, just good old fashioned drum corps. The Baritone/Mello switch to Valve Rotors had me going completely nuts! Amazing is the only word to describe any performance by the Cabs Alumni. My favorite music from all my favorite drum corps shows, literally makes me go nuts after every performance. I will never pass up an opportunity to see them when I can.

Overall I liked the show this year. The weather was nice, the beach was nice, the boardwalk was nice, I even watched the tram car! I would have liked to see more corps at the show but I know that organizing a show is a tall task and I believe the show was organized very very well. It was also nice to see the Mayor of Wildwood there again, it is good to know that people from all walks of life can appreciate drum corps (which is a rare thing in these days of polarization). All and all fun was had by all and I look forward to next year (hopefully being on the field)

Hope this helps!

Andrew

Edited by BucsBuff

Great review!

Pictures?

Great review!

Pictures?

The Girlfriend took the SD card out of the camera when she went back home so I don't have any... sorry :(

thanks for the review. it was a little odd for me to be back in DCA after a 3 year absence, and for some reason, I didn't feel as if that was the first show. the whole indoor thing was weird to me. I won't give a review, as the only corps I saw were Statesmen and Cabs. Although I must admit that although disappointed w/ Empire's show (for now), I thought it was more complete than Cabs at this point in the season. I feel as though both shows have the potential to be great later on this season when everyone is more comfortable with the product they are putting on the field.

That being said, I can't wait for the Bridgeport show :)