does anyone have pics?

what's up so far

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Storky, how did I know you would find them, anyway, these are some pretty nice pics, finally get to see the Hurcs new unis, not bad

Hey Joe, those pictures are fantastic! Especially the one of me licking my lips. :laugh::laugh:

Keep the pictures coming and have fun this season!

Just for clarification, there are at least two/three other sops playing the solo work with this show. I'm an anti 'pit soloist' guy, and agree that it takes something from show, but the other guys were doing the work from the field.

I'm one of the soloists that couldn't be at this show (for professional commitments) and I will be appearing with Joey and Richie as a "pit soloist". Please understand that I would very much rather be marching a spot, but due to the onset of arthritis (specifically, GOUT arthritis) moving my feet is very painful, if not impossible, and the only way for me to participate is as a "pit soloist" ( By the way, I remember the days when the 'Tymp's' and 'boards' were carried too).

So, when do we decide that a physical ailment is reason enough to eliminate one from performing? Are they lesser than someone that can march? Should they not also be enjoyed for their contribution to the activity? Just because someone is in the "pit" does that make them unfit for the show?

I just want to experience the standing ovations and goosebumps that my soul CRAVES for!

See you on the fifty! ( or somewhere very near there)

Thanks for the comments regarding all corps but specifically for me Empire.

The corps enjoyed their first performance of the season and look forward to seeing the growth and the journey that "Maynard" will take us through this season. When I say this is the best group of people I have ever worked with at Empire I am telling the truth. Great group/great corps and great show.

We have a mello and contra spot left if any brass players are interested in coming out and hanging with The Statesmen while they pay tribute to "the boss" please contact me at trmdrum1@rochester.rr.com. We also have a couple of guard spots, anyone interested in working with Peter Garrow and his staff contact me as well. This guy will give you an experience you will never forget.......

You'll be glad you did!

Lots more in store for all of DCA-keep your eye on us!

Andrew....Nice, intelligent review. If I could add/comment.....(and I will shorten most, because I agree with most of your comments)

The venue makes it very difficult for the full depth of the musical scores to come through. In particular, unlless it is a solo or baritone feature with pianissimo drums, the baris are particularly absent from the presentation. The higher pitched sops and mellows pierce through, but the bottom end is difficult to pick up. I think all the corps suffered from this, but nonetheless were all on the same playing field.

Ditto your thoughts on Hurcs. They appear poised to make some moves this year. I saw the drumline warming up outside and they were very crisp and clean. To bad this crispness gets lost in the indoor environment. Nice sound from horns too.

Ditto again on your Brigs comments. I had the pleasure of having "First Time" played directly at me at retreat in 2003 and I love the arrangement. Can't say anymore about bari solo work....absolutely delightful. Only criticism would be I missed the soprano overtones that used to be there. Genevieve played that particular part amazingly (up the octave), so it was still great, but my personal preference for the 'goose bumps' would be sops on that particular few bars.

I agree with you on Bucs being overpowering, but not necessarily loud. I think the 'white noise' generated by a 64 man hornline made it sound like they were just too loud. I watched their rehearsal on Sat afternoon outside and I can tell you this hornline defiinitely plays dynamics and the sound (when you can hear all the pieces...see above comment) is nothing short of awesome. I might add........they sound in mid season form already and the whole show 'package' is there.

I though Empire marched the cleanest show of the night, (quite a few miscues with everyone, but not so noticeble with Empire), and had the best sound within the 'white noise' issues. I could hear the bottom end quite often. Just for clarification, there are at least two/three other sops playing the solo work with this show. I'm an anti 'pit soloist' guy, and agree that it takes something from show, but the other guys were doing the work from the field. Corps (like many tonight) was missing at least 1/2 doz horns. The show has great potential.

Cabs new show is very pleasing. So pleasing in fact that a well know (to me anyway) friend who has 'dissed' cabs and 'rumps' (who doesn't like rumps....except some Sky guys!) in the past, was actually standing and applauding. Cue the heart attack for this writer. I really liked the show concept and musical arrangements. Gary has done his usual great job getting the drumline in action. Drill crashed a bit, but heck its very early.

Can't comment on Cabs alumni, but just know they did their usual 'knock the house down' performance.

Judging by my rehearsal visits on Saturday, I would have said Bucs were going to be a juggernaut and impossible to catch this year. They still may be hard to catch, but with the performances of Cabs and Empire brought to the floor, it may not be the shoe-in some might think. Brigs and Hurcs were both way better than this time of the year in 2006 and should be pushing the top guys too. DCA looks to have a great and highly competitive season. I'm looking forward to Rochester in Sept already.

I'm one of the soloists that couldn't be at this show (for professional commitments) and I will be appearing with Joey and Richie as a "pit soloist". Please understand that I would very much rather be marching a spot, but due to the onset of arthritis (specifically, GOUT arthritis) moving my feet is very painful, if not impossible, and the only way for me to participate is as a "pit soloist" ( By the way, I remember the days when the 'Tymp's' and 'boards' were carried too).

So, when do we decide that a physical ailment is reason enough to eliminate one from performing? Are they lesser than someone that can march? Should they not also be enjoyed for their contribution to the activity? Just because someone is in the "pit" does that make them unfit for the show?

I just want to experience the standing ovations and goosebumps that my soul CRAVES for!

:laugh:

You make an excellent point about health limitations and drum corps participation.

Go PIT SOLOIST!!

:laugh:

Hey Jeff,

You know I meant no malice towards guys like Richie, yourself and others. I admire the talent and dedication of such folks. Heck, Richie commutes from RI just to make rehearsals in the winter.......that's drum corps dedication for you! But you also have to admit that there are pit soloists who are physically capable of marching too.

I only stated my own personal opinion. You ask why shouldn't those that can't physically hack it be denied? Emotionally, I couldn't agree more, but I could also take it to extremes of comparison.......there are no 'pit' hockey players. Its just not part of the activity. But it also doesn't mean one can't get their drum corps fix (goosebumps/ovations) with alumni corps or other horn playing gigs. Its all a matter of personal opinions and choices.

Anyway, I certainly didn't mean for my short synopsis of the show to get off topic by a perhaps controversial comment.

I'll reiterate.........I admire anyone who has the talent level and desire of the soloists in Empire (and other corps). I'll get over my bias against non marching horn players eventually, just like I got over pit vibes, and dancing colour guards.

You know I love you man! Keep on honkin'

Gord

And then there's Genvieve, I can honestly say I have never in my life heard a more beautiful solo than the one in "The first time ever I saw your face"

Definately. Couldn't agree more....

I'm still happy that she didn't do I&E in 2002...she would have beaten me by around 90 points!! (I had an 85)