US Open Memories

Next to Blue Rock De La Salle rocked better than anybody at that '71 U.S. Open. I still have those vinyl records from

that year. They roared off the line with "Miserlou" and never looked back (also did Channel One Suite). By the way, Fran.... I'll never forget some members of the Sacred Heart Crusaders getting left behind at prelims in '71. Do you remember that? The bus took off and left some guys back at the stadium. They were sitting in front of me.

Of course that was also a very sad year in Marion. Nancy Mauro, a member of the I.C. Reveries was killed when she was hit by a car at the parade.

RIP Nancy......I was having fun reading the accounts of the US Open and almost burst into tears seeing this.

I was not there, but I am very close to Nancy's brother who posts here often. Both of her parents have passed away, and I loved them like my own. I was told of the horrible accident by other Reveries that were marching, and your account does not line up, other than she did indeed loose her life having been hit by a car. Her Dad was driving one of the busses, and her brother was marching as well. RIP Nancy, Alice and Arthur.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so glad this thread popped back up.

1971 was a heart breaker for us. 3 points in penalties.

but check this out. I found this shot and was amazed at the crowd in the back stands.

That's what I remember about the U.S. Open most.

Nightshot.jpg

The crowds!

Puppet

Gee it would be nice to see the US Open back and also A-I Open and World Open too. Of course it wouldn't be the same because there aren't that many corps. Remember going to prelims in the morning and getting done around 4 pm? That was just for one class and then the same thing the next day for Open class.

I am so glad this thread popped back up.

1971 was a heart breaker for us. 3 points in penalties.

but check this out. I found this shot and was amazed at the crowd in the back stands.

That's what I remember about the U.S. Open most.

Nightshot.jpg

The crowds!

Puppet

RIP Nancy......I was having fun reading the accounts of the US Open and almost burst into tears seeing this.

I was not there, but I am very close to Nancy's brother who posts here often. Both of her parents have passed away, and I loved them like my own. I was told of the horrible accident by other Reveries that were marching, and your account does not line up, other than she did indeed loose her life having been hit by a car. Her Dad was driving one of the busses, and her brother was marching as well. RIP Nancy, Alice and Arthur.

Yes, Nancy Jean Mauro was my sister and she was killed in Marion Ohio while we were on dinner break during rehearsal. One group of kids (including me) went to one place to eat. My sister and about 13 others went to another place. Some guy was speeding and came over the crest of a hill swerving to avoiding hitting the group of kids but unfortunatley hit my sister. She stayed alive for three days. My mother to fly to Ohio and see her and got some time with her before she died.. After my daugher was born in '97, I was slapped in the face with the reality of how awful it must have been to lose your child. My parents were the greatest people I have ever known. I really miss them.

John.

Yes, Nancy Jean Mauro was my sister and she was killed in Marion Ohio while we were on dinner break during rehearsal. One group of kids (including me) went to one place to eat. My sister and about 13 others went to another place. Some guy was speeding and came over the crest of a hill swerving to avoiding hitting the group of kids but unfortunatley hit my sister. She stayed alive for three days. My mother to fly to Ohio and see her and got some time with her before she died.. After my daugher was born in '97, I was slapped in the face with the reality of how awful it must have been to lose your child. My parents were the greatest people I have ever known. I really miss them.

John.

:laughing: You rock Johnny.

We were out having supper when the tragedy occured. The Mauro's lived on my street, and this was my first encounter with death. A very very sad time for the Reveries. There were hundreds of marching members from dozens of local corps in uniform at the wake.

My 2 US Open memories:

1) 1981 - My 1st time seeing Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment - I just could not understand how a corps that had a crowd on it's feet most of the show - screaming so loud - so much excitement - could lose by 4 points to a corps that had the crowd sitting on it's hands. Oh how young and naive I was.

2) No show had a better program - still have mine!