Toledo, OH - June 23 2007

I had planned to write a short review when I arrived home from the show, but I was just so tired from the drive back to North Canton. So here is my review of last night's drum corps show in Toledo.

The weather was nice and cool last night with a little wind, but overall just perfect for drum corps.

In Order of Performance:

1. Legends - Did not see the show, but I could hear what they were doing, and I loved their music and really appreciate hearing a small corps like that put out that much sound. You could tell the crowd appreciated their show and liked their music, and I applaud them for appearing in exhibition last night.

2. Troopers - I finally got to my seat (close to the 40 yard line, mid way up) and I started to get misty eyed just watching TROOP take the field. I like their new uniforms, although I do wish the yellow on the scarf was a bit brighter to help them create the contrast a bit better with the dark in the uniform. I still think the uniforms are classy and well done, and I love their production this year. The opener is called "Joy" and is music by Joseph Curiale. The ballad is something I have definitely heard before, and it is one of the more beautiful on the field this summer, but I cannot find any info on what the music is from (didn't get a program last night). Their closer takes shades of "The Battle Hymn" and the ballad and weaves them together for an emotional and thrilling ride to the finish, complete with a Sunburst that when it is clean will bring the house down. The music has been perfectly crafted by Doug Thrower and Tom Rarick, and the visual design team has put together an excellent visual package that was both captivating, challenging, and entertaining. I love their warm up before the show starts. You hear strains of the Battle Hymn there as well, sort of foreshadowing what is to come, and definitely in line with "America's" corps. By the end of the show I was really misty-eyed and had a huge lump in my throat, and not just because they are back, but because this is a great show. The horns sound very good (60 that I counted, including 12 contras), as does the percussion, and they are still quite dirty. It was interesting to me that they beat Southwind, yet they are not as clean as Southwind. But the Troopers show packs more GE. Many congratulations to Fred Morris and his team for bringing this corps back to the field in this manner. This show is classy, extremely well put together, entertaining and emotional, and already performed quite well. America, you are in for a treat in August with this show!

3. Southwind - I was glad to hear that they paid tribute to the 17-year old girl who lost her life in a car accident and who would have been marching with them this summer. Her parents were in attendance, and I can't imagine how difficult that was, but Southwind didn't let her down. They are performing a challenging program and seem to have the ability to handle it quite well. Horns sounded better than Troopers, but only in that they were more confident with the music at this point, but Troopers have them in total show design and GE. Southwind has one stunning moment in their ballad, and some excellent staging in the tune as well. Their guard was staged very well in the ballad, and at the climax you get this flood of light blue and pink colors to go along with the bright yellow on the tops of the corps' uniform, and it was definitely the high point in their show. They need to clarify the closing production, but they should be a solid top 25 corps and this will be a very entertaining show once some of the choppiness is dealt with. They have a nice trumpet soloist that gets featured in several spots, although he had a rough time finishing his first solo, but he made up for that with the next one.

4. Crossmen - I will start by saying that their look is really unique and striking. As you see them walk onto the field and you see those black uniforms with red stripes on the pants and the red lining on the jacket, and the guard which is wearing an all-red uni, and you are just drawn to them. This is a better look for them than in past years, although still not my favorite, but it is better. Their show is called "Metamorphosis." Essentially the show highlights 3 classic works from various Crossmen shows: Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphosis, Pat Methany's First Circle, and Alfred Reed's Russian Christmas music. I also thought I heard shades of Paul Winter's Appalachian Morning, but I was not sure. There is a lot to like about this show, even though in my wildest dreams I do not think I could have come up with this selection of music for a show. But the Crossmen are embarking on a very complex show that could challenge quite a few corps and can certainly be top 12. Their opener is performed quite well, and that is where you can see how good this corps can be. The rest of the show is really dirty and not very confident. But in the opener you hear the talent, the warm horn sound and confidence in the percussion. They obviously have talent. I am not sure if Marc Sylvester wrote the drill, but if he did, then this is his best effort in some time. There are some stunning visual developments that really challenge the viewer, and then some obvious transitions that then take a left turn just before he gives you what you want, or what you think you were going to get. The end of the opener is really outstanding drill writing. All in all, the musical book and visual book are very demanding and should, if clean, be top 12 this year. I would not be surprised to see them in 10th. Who knows? From a GE standpoint they have work to do in the middle and end, and the visual execution is just really dirty after the opener.

5. Cavaliers - These guys just never fail to bring an amazing show to the field. The Billy Joel show is one of the more entertaining you will see this summer, with all kinds of musical and visual nuances that will captivate you for the entire show. They start the show by covering the entire outer-frame of the field, with guard members interspersed with the horns and drums. A beautiful and really well played trumpet solo introduces the first theme, and once the music builds to the hit, the horns face front and, in a sort of show-business way, turn to the front and play their instruments with one hand and walk to the front, everyone keeping tempo in their head while moving at their own pace. Maybe the most unique first "hit" I have seen in a while. A solo dancer introduces various dance moves that will be incorporated into the show, including the fall-down roll that you see brass members do as well through out the opener. Although I didn't mind that move, it got to be old by the end of the first tune, but that was probably the only think I didn't like about this show. Other than that, the staging is incredible, the look of the guard is amazing (two-piece gray dress suit with shirt and tie to start the show, then they take the jacket off and perform in gray pants, white shirt and tie), their percussion is excellent, and the music is captivating and well crafted for this show. This is my favorite Cavalier production since 2004's Bond show and the 2000 show. They will be a force as always. Bravo, Cavaliers!

6. Speaking of being a force, the Bluecoats have been good for many, many, many years. From the D2 years to the late 80s, from the great 90s shows (I still just love 1995) to the recent climb here in the 2000s, but this 2007 production is the BEST Bluecoats EVER!! They sparkle in every way imaginable. From the moment they come on the field you know that you are in for a treat, and they take a back seat to no one. This is not cutting on the competition, but merely saying that they can stack up with anyone, and may just find themselves in the top 3, perhaps the top spot. Many hear in the audience thought Bluecoats had won, and it sure felt that way to me. If the Cavaliers have any leg-up on the 'Coats at this point, it is that they are much cleaner. The new uniform is by far the most striking in DCI this year and sets a standard for new looks. They were finally able to wear the new guard uniforms, which are bright orange-colored jail jump suits, complete with hand cuffs. The visual design of the show is stellar, using the bi-tonal colored corps jacked to great effect and incorporating that with the guard in their orange. The guard also has a wonderful, more sophisticated criminal attire for after they get out of jail during the 1st tune. The talent level is off the charts, and any talk of high brass and high percussion this year should include the Bluecoats. Their brass was smokin' good tonight, and still there are many rough areas to clean, and I really doubt anyone has a harder book. Their percussion section is really playing tastefully and musically, and the demand is amazing. The demand in this musical book is really something to behold, with runs all over the place, yet they are so well crafted into the thematic development of the musical line, and the show has a combination of grooves and singable melodies to go along with its darker, more energized feel. Probably the biggest crowd reaction for any show of the night came when the brass and percussion literally chase the guard into the endzone. All the horns go up like they are rifles aimed at the guard and you hear "Drop your weapons, you have the right to remain silent." At this point it is silent, as in silent drill, and the guard drops their weapons and runs to the other side of the police as they are being taken away, and then you hear "Anything you play can and will be used against you," and BAM, the horns and drums just bring back the groove and theme that they were developing prior to the arrest. The HIT is startling and really gets the crowd going. The ending of the show is still rough, and there are some staging things that I believe will be re-worked to enhance what is already one of the most entertaining and most musical shows on the field this summer. And by the way, for those that have been hearing about this contra/tuba line, everything you are hearing is true. I have been going to shows since 1979 and I have not heard a tuba section with better technique, more demand, more exposure, and more ability. They may indeed be, when it is all said and done, the best tuba line ever. But don't get big-headed guys! :) A+ for the Bluecoats!!! BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

7. Glassmen - The Glassmen have a wonderful production this year, perhaps my favorite from them in 2 or 3 years. Coming on after Bluecoats and Cavaliers can be quite daunting, but they did very well and really sold this show to their hometown crowd. The musical selections are just fun and well arranged, and most of the show is built around themes from Rimsky-Korsakov's "Capriccio Espagnol." For all the 1982 SCV lovers out there, like me, you will love this production and it will somewhat remind you of that glorious SCV show. The guard uniforms are wonderful and project the gypsy image very well. They have a great moment at the beginning of the show with the pit instruments establishing a nice groove as the show starts, and then the guard performs a wonderful dance and clapping routine that will get you into this production quickly. Their brass were really pumping out some sound tonight, and kudos to their arrangers for the nice writing. They are a bit ragged and may ultimately have trouble holding off the Crossmen, but with some tweaks and more confidence, there is no doubt this is a top 12 production as well. You are very unwise if you do not give yourself a chance to see this show. They are excellent, and the GE could be a big positive for this corps, but I really love the music and their guard. I will be interested to see how this show develops over the summer. Well done Glassmen and thank you to everyone involved in putting together last night's show in Toledo. It was a thrill to see some drum corps.

JW

Edited by jwillis35

I completely agree with your review - especially the part where you don't mention obnoxious Glassmen alums! B)

Hey Jonathan, yes Marc Sylvester wrote Crossmen's drill this year. And I agree, he didn't hold back. There is some tweaking that will obviously take place (and an entire section that has yet to be performed yet which has the potential to be THE talk of drum corps by the end of the summer), but I love the way he uses the entire field, the show never really stops, and even some of his transitions are "moments." The man is a genius and the Crossmen are lucky to have him as their creative force as they embark in their new direction.

And by the way, for those that have been hearing about this contra/tuba line, everything you are hearing is true. I have been going to shows since 1979 and I have not heard a tuba section with better technique, more demand, more exposure, and more ability. They may indeed be, when it is all said and done, the best tuba line ever. But don't get big-headed guys! :) A+ for the Bluecoats!!! BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

thank you so much- i've been saying this ever since annapolis... those guys are just, for lack of a better word, awesome! --deserving of every good thing that has been said of their performance- i'm just praying that it doesnt get watered down any as i know some corps start to do mid-season...

and the high brass thing-

i mean... with 50 (yeah really- 50) returning members, you better believe that they are going to be a strong contender for that... looking forward to it!

You're being way too nice, G, but many thanks.

JW

Just checked my cell phone and only a couple of pics turned out decent from last night :( Both are Cavies.

CaviesTOledo2007.jpg

Cavies2TOledo2007.jpg

Sorry I couldn't provide more to everyone.