Not a senior, but many went on to senior corps.

This is the corps I marched with until 1975, before I joined the Reading Buccaneers. If you ever wondered what an elevator drill is - this is a prime example! Forthwith is the description and link to an old B&W movie of the show.

Here's some old B&W movie of the junior corps I marched with in 1964 to 1975, (it's presented in two parts; OTL to color pre/concert to exit). This is from the 1970 Eastern States Circuit Championship, which we won. It was in Glenolden, PA. This is some interesting history because there were literally thousands of this type of corps carpeting the US, mostly in the NE and Midwest.

It is a classic military, "elevator" drill, with ranks and wheels and pivots and company fronts, etc. The horns are all piston/slide except for the lone contra and two mellophones. The next year we moved up to piston/rotor for the entire hornline. Most of the big corps, the top 12, as it were had abandoned this type of show by 1970, but it was still the mainstay of most corps. We had 30 horns and you count the drums.

Another interesting thing about this video is, that on the field is most of the nucleus that would become the Keystone Regiment that later merged with 507 Hornets to become the Crossmen. Also, the corps was marching with many former Media Fawns, an all girl corps from Media, PA, that had disbanded the previous year.

Ray Eyler was the Horn Arranger/Instructor. Joe Marello was the Drum Arranger/Instructor. Al Lucia was the Drill Designer/Instructor. Rich Lucia was DM. I forget who was Guard Captain, I'll have to look that up.

The littlest snare drummer is Thom Hannum of Vic Firth and UofMA fame. Ted Brehoney is the Mellophone Soloist and Bob Hannum, (Thom's older brother), is the soprano soloist. I was his backup. Doug Stemet was the other mellophone. I could name more, but I'm getting long here. I think maybe Denise Golden might have been Guard Captain.

Finally, The horns were all Getzen except for the contra bass and Mellophones which were Olds Ultratones. The drums were Ludwig, I believe.

The guard used steel poles with chrome plated brass spikes screwed on the end. The flags were sewn satin and they used belt cups to support them. Very heavy. The rifles were modified Army Carbines, (non-firing) oak stock, steel bolt action and barrel, also heavy.

Hope you enjoy this little bit of my childhood. Because of comments about the quality I've reloaded the videos as mpv.4 and reset the link. I think it's better. Over 300 views on part one, but now it is reset to zero, bummer.

Edited by Martybucs

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow......thanks Marty........it's been a long time.........we were fortunate to have a number of Brookhaven alums in Archie, right up thru the early-mid ninetys......

Jimbalaya

Thanks Jim. :)

It's funny that a lot of people watch part one, but not so many part two. Don't blame you. Those shows were more about pleasing the judges with execution, (can you say, Vince Deagan?), than entertainment value as a priority.

If you skip part two, what you're missing is our renditions of; "African Waltz", "Work Song", and "What a Day for a Day Dream".

I went there and yes, it was some very good stuff. I forgot that Ray was the brass guy. He's an old friend and I have him to thank for giving me my start with teaching in senior corps (Archie '64 sops)........still a friend today and it's a pleasure to play with him in Music Express.

Did Bob Carney march in the '70 corps?

Thanks Jim. :)

It's funny that a lot of people watch part one, but not so many part two. Don't blame you. Those shows were more about pleasing the judges with execution, (can you say, Vince Deagan?), than entertainment value as a priority.

If you skip part two, what you're missing is our renditions of; "African Waltz", "Work Song", and "What a Day for a Day Dream".

I went there and yes, it was some very good stuff. I forgot that Ray was the brass guy. He's an old friend and I have him to thank for giving me my start with teaching in senior corps (Archie '64 sops)........still a friend today and it's a pleasure to play with him in Music Express.

Did Bob Carney march in the '70 corps?

Bob Carney's last year with Brookhaven was 1969. About half the corps quit after 1969. Some aged out, some got drafted, and some couldn't stand the director and left.

However, I actually let Bob cut my hair for years, (he was a barber, for those of you that didn't know him), he gave my son his first hair cut also. I miss the ornery son of a gun. RIP Bob.

Fortunately for us, the Media Fawns disbanded in 1969 and many of their members marched with us in 1970. It was a great year and when you saw and heard how good the young women from the Fawns performed, it was hard to believe that they didn't do better in competition.

They sure saved our butts in 1970. Sadly most of them couldn't stand the director either, (I have no idea why, he seemed OK to me). Many of the Fawns went down the road to Norwood and the 507 Hornets.

1971 was Brookhaven's last good year as a competing corps and they hung on until 1975. If I was to put a list up of all the people that played with the Crusaders, you would be astonished at the names.

really enjoyed that, thanks

yay for those PA corps

I did Black Diamond Reg. for a spell

cant remember who they were before that

Brookhaven is just South of Philly & just North of Wilmington

along the Delaware River, right?

where did you guys practice?

really enjoyed that, thanks

yay for those PA corps

I did Black Diamond Reg. for a spell

cant remember who they were before that

Brookhaven is just South of Philly & just North of Wilmington

along the Delaware River, right?

where did you guys practice?

Wow, Black Diamond Regiment, haven't heard that name in years! You guys weren't around long.

Brookhaven is almost directly west of Chester, PA which is on the river. Brookhaven was an up and coming suburb of Philly back then and now is a bit overcrowded and a little run down from what it was. We mostly practiced at Brookhaven Junior High School and Coeburn Elementary School in Brookhaven. Later when corps were not so popular we were forced to practice anywhere we could find space - Kmart parking lot. Distant schools and such.

Edited by Martybucs

Marty,

Did Brookhaven try to come back as an Alumni corps in the mid-90s? I seem to remember a corps trying to come back and did a few parades and perhaps an exhibition but it never really caught on. I'm just not sure if it was Brookhaven or someone else in the Philadelphia suburbs.

Robbie

Marty,

Did Brookhaven try to come back as an Alumni corps in the mid-90s? I seem to remember a corps trying to come back and did a few parades and perhaps an exhibition but it never really caught on. I'm just not sure if it was Brookhaven or someone else in the Philadelphia suburbs.

Robbie

Not that I know of. I keep in touch with a lot of the old gang and I think they would've asked me, I was a Charter Member. About 10 years ago our director, who has since passed away, said he still had the uniforms and horns in storage. I have no idea why.