Not a senior, but many went on to senior corps.

Marty,

The corps I'm thinking of is The Bracken Cavaliers from Bristol. I guess since both corps begin with the letter B, I got them mixed up. It looks like they do indeed still have an Alumni corps.

I seem to remember contests after September and some in May. I also enjoyed the clips from 1970. Can't see it too well but you can hear.

Robbie

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marty,

I seem to remember contests after September and some in May. I also enjoyed the clips from 1970. Can't see it too well but you can hear.

Robbie

Glad you enjoyed it Robbie. I tried to bump up the quality and converted the files to mpv4. I think the mpv.4 is definitely better. The VHS tape I converted from is a copy of a copy and about 15 years old.

Like I said I've since bought a DVD of the performance from www.drumcorpsvideo.com and although better, I guess, it seems about the same as this.

Anyone looking for movies from the 1960s to 1970s, (mostly) should pay their site a visit. Cool stuff.

Edited by Martybucs

This is my 1st year of Drum Corps and I'm Marching DCA with Lakeshoremen and I love it! This will Help me prepare my self of Auditioning for DCI Div. 1 Corps . Now I keep on finding my self want more and more practice instead of weekends its kinda like a drug once you start you cant stop! It has also been my dream ever since roughly around 6th grade watching on ESPN to march with those Corps.....who know as a result of Lakeshoremen I could be there if I continue to work hard , Soak up the Knowledge I'm given B)

Edited by Supersop08

Good to hear it Josiah. Keep working and perfecting & you'll be fine. I saw my first contest in 1949 and began corps involvement in '60. This is my 47th year and I'm still doin' it. I guess I'll continue until....as my old friend Pepe Notaro said, ....."until that first shovelful of dirt hits my face".........

Jimbalaya

This is my 1st year of Drum Corps and I'm Marching DCA with Lakeshoremen and I love it! This will Help me prepare my self of Auditioning for DCI Div. 1 Corps . Now I keep on finding my self want more and more practice instead of weekends its kinda like a drug once you start you cant stop! It has also been my dream ever since roughly around 6th grade watching on ESPN to march with those Corps.....who know as a result of Lakeshoremen I could be there if I continue to work hard , Soak up the Knowledge I'm given B)

Here's a quote from Cozy's Corpsdom Feb, 2007

Blue Rock Victorious at Baltimore’

Thus read the banner headline of Drum Corps News, Oct. 21, 1970 (my yellowed subscription, 35 cents, which I ripped twice while reading). With “John Wilson” in the byline, Wilson wrote: “…with the Rocks were the (Eastern States) Circuit-leading Brookhaven Crusaders, Hamilton White Knights, Belvederes, York White Roses and Shadettes.”

Show must've been close to October. I remember it being Sunday afternoon show and BR beat us by 6 points, but we beat their hornline in that show.

the answer to my own question:

The BELVEDERES merged with the Highlanders of Hazelton PA to form the Black Diamond Regiment in about May, 1977.

Belvederes have nice pictures on corpsreps,

so do the Chessmen who have a really nostalgiac warmup by the buses shot

wish I could see them all do a show at their best

also there is a recording of '72 East. States Champ available on drumcorpsworld.com

#7204 - 1972 Eastern States Circuit Championship

1 Chessmen Easton, PA

2 Belvederes Schuylkill Haven, PA

3 507 Hornets Norwood, PA

4 Bracken Cavaliers Bristol, PA

5 St. Mary's Cadets Gloucester City, NJ

6 Shadettes Maple Shade, NJ

Edited by BeinGreen

the answer to my own question:

The BELVEDERES merged with the Highlanders of Hazelton PA to form the Black Diamond Regiment in about May, 1977.

Belvederes have nice pictures on corpsreps,

so do the Chessmen who have a really nostalgiac warmup by the buses shot

wish I could see them all do a show at their best

also there is a recording of '72 East. States Champ available on drumcorpsworld.com

#7204 - 1972 Eastern States Circuit Championship

1 Chessmen Easton, PA

2 Belvederes Schuylkill Haven, PA

3 507 Hornets Norwood, PA

4 Bracken Cavaliers Bristol, PA

5 St. Mary's Cadets Gloucester City, NJ

6 Shadettes Maple Shade, NJ

I was in Buccaneers, but I remember seeing the Black Diamond Regiment at a combined Jr./Sr. show and some parades.

Did you know Gary Koenig from Belvederes? He married Vicki Drummond, but they're not together anymore.

And is Eddie Young still with Reilly? He was in Brookhaven.

In 1972, after more than half the corps left to go to Tri-Community Cadets/Keystone Regiment, Brookhaven fielded a corps that was hastily put together because we had to scramble for members and a new horn instructor. Truman Crawford stepped in and arranged a pretty cool show with a medley that had some WWI songs and WWII songs, Can't remember what it was called but I think I remember hearing the Marine D&B Corps play it. The concert he arranged was Bill Chase's "Ode to a River" and I thought that was neat because I got to play Bill Chase's solo. Danny DiQuattro also stepped in as horn instructor. Some will remember him from Vasella.

However, our first show I think we scored a 49. something and the second show maybe a 56 and the corps director couldn't stand it after we were so good in previous years, so he pulled us off the field for the rest of the season. A big mistake. It was embarrassing scoring so low, I have to admit, but I think we could've pulled it together into the sixties by the end of the season and then gone into 1973 as a better corps. Didn't happen.

I was in Buccaneers, but I remember seeing the Black Diamond Regiment at a combined Jr./Sr. show and some parades.

Did you know Gary Koenig from Belvederes? He married Vicki Drummond, but they're not together anymore.

And is Eddie Young still with Reilly? He was in Brookhaven.

In 1972, after more than half the corps left to go to Tri-Community Cadets/Keystone Regiment, Brookhaven fielded a corps that was hastily put together because we had to scramble for members and a new horn instructor. Truman Crawford stepped in and arranged a pretty cool show with a medley that had some WWI songs and WWII songs, Can't remember what it was called but I think I remember hearing the Marine D&B Corps play it. The concert he arranged was Bill Chase's "Ode to a River" and I thought that was neat because I got to play Bill Chase's solo. Danny DiQuattro also stepped in as horn instructor. Some will remember him from Vasella.

However, our first show I think we scored a 49. something and the second show maybe a 56 and the corps director couldn't stand it after we were so good in previous years, so he pulled us off the field for the rest of the season. A big mistake. It was embarrassing scoring so low, I have to admit, but I think we could've pulled it together into the sixties by the end of the season and then gone into 1973 as a better corps. Didn't happen.

yeah I know Gary, and yes Ed is still misbehaving in Reilly. Thats a shame about 1972, when we were scoring in the 50s in 27Lancers in '83 we didnt pack it up, they did 3 years later though.

great stuff!