HARKEN! What would a drum corps have to do...

Anti-Amplification and Show Design  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would there be ANY show design that would get you on board with amplification?

• Yes, possibly. (explain in thread).
    • No, no way. (no explaination needed)
    • Already gave up on junior corps. (DCA, alumni, etc)
    • Terrance I. McGee. (WordRider HEAH!)

Kind of a misleading question and response set.

Singing/Narration/etc., is something I don't find acceptable.

Amplification, as in the pit, I have no problems with and think it should have been done years before it was implemented. It's just taking time, in some cases, to get all of the bugs kicked out.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

“You have the right to remain silent” and silent drill in the Bluecoats show this year was tolerable. It was short and it made sense. Their following line, “Anything you play will be held against you” was too much, it was hokey and nullified any positive effect of the previous line.

But really, this OP is like asking, how much urine is acceptable in my beer.

I don't think I'll ever be able to tolerate it. The main reason? I'm a drum corps listener. I pull the CDs out 10 times more than I pull the DVDs out.

Narration on a CD (specifically, the recording of a sound coming out of an amplifier - yuk) is a distraction, plain and simple. I could care less what story they are trying to sell on the field - I'm trying to listen to some music. And when someone talks over my music, I get mad.

It's the equivalent of having someone walking in front of the camera while watching the Finals DVDs.

Wait a minute--you are the founder of Crown Anonymous (signature), a place to discuss your obsession with 2006 Crown? And you're against narration? I'm obviously forgetting the show--help me out.

What about singing? Is there a place for that? Like Verdi's Requiem...Colts played the "Dies Irae" in 1999. What if they used their extra 15 people next year and added a small choir?

Impossible--would have to expand D1 to 200, minimum.

Perhaps.

However, the end goal here is to figure out if there's anything you can think of that would be an acceptable use, ever...or if plugging in and singing/talking is the end of the line for you personally.

“You have the right to remain silent” and silent drill in the Bluecoats show this year was tolerable. It was short and it made sense. Their following line, “Anything you play will be held against you” was too much, it was hokey and nullified any positive effect of the previous line.

Don't tempt me, cow...

Wait a minute--you are the founder of Crown Anonymous (signature), a place to discuss your obsession with 2006 Crown? And you're against narration? I'm obviously forgetting the show--help me out..

06 Crown was "In.Trance.It"...only one amped sound effect in that show. Ever since 2005, Crown has gotten a lot of "traditionalist" people on board with their shows, this year being no exception.

There was a rumor that there would be some spoken word in this years show, but I don't know if it's happening or not.

I'll bite. Mentioned it elsewhere. Love to hear me some Phantom Regiment...oh, oh...quick edit in mid-thought!! Phantom Regiment with some fat British guy singing Nessun Dorma!!

Not that this is completely drum corps, but there's a recording out there of the Ohio State Marching Band doing just that

Ok, back to drum corps

Recruit members specifically for their vocal talents. If if is spoken, make sure they have some type of acting ability. They need Morgan Freeman and they have William Hung. These kids are musicians not actors. Don't ask them to act. Get an actor to act. If you can't do it right DONT DO IT! It's not good just because it's there. Like any other part of the show, it needs to be quality or it sucks. The vocals now are poorly acted and out of breathe. FIX IT OR CUT IT. Do those things and win my approval.

Not that this is completely drum corps, but there's a recording out there of the Ohio State Marching Band doing just that

Ok, back to drum corps

I went to Ohio State and that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

It's very simple for me.

What would a drum corps have to do for me to not dislike narration in its program?

1. Get someone who sounds GOOD on the microphone.

2. Ger rid of all feedback problems, and teach the performers not to pop their Ps.

3. Do a work that calls for narration already...

e.g.

New Morning for the World (Schwantner)

Lincoln Portrait (Aaron Copland)

Copland Portrait (Clare Grundman)

The Steadfast Tin Soldier (Keith Amos)

Oedipus Rex (Stravinsky)

Peter and the Wold (Prokofiev)

The Firebird - Narrated version (Stravinsky)

etc.....you get the picture.