What's up with the Spartans?

4 shows in 6 days.

6/23 70.1

6/25 69.0

6/26 69.2

6/29 70.5

No growth from a corps that is usually very consistent. Is everything OK? Kids ill or transportation breakdowns? I hope not. They are one of my favorite corps.

The panel tonight in Westminster was basically the same on last night that gave Teal Sound a 66.9.

Is Teal just 3.6 from Nashua?

Makes the Rome, NY show with Teal, Spartans, Raiders and Surf the first big Div 2 showdown of the season.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to worry about them. Us(ECJ) and Spartans never really came out of the gate strong the past few years. Hovered in the low-mid 70s for a while and then between "mini-tour" and tour is when we made our pushes. For me, it was weird to hear that they only have 5 contras. Don't know why but that made me curious as to how large the corps is as a whole. Most of my friends that I had at Spartans I don't think are marching this year, although I know of a few from ECJ who went there.

I say don't worry, because even if there are many new members, the staff is basically intact from what I can tell from the past few years. It's early season, and division II/III drum corps in the northeast has been odd the past few years. You will see a noticeable difference between now and even next week or the week after. It's going to be a tight race, but having no competition may also have a result of a stagnant score. Once Spartans start to see Surf, Raiders, and Teal, we should see scores start to move up the ladder and probably quickly, and not just for Spartans. They will be one of the largest forces to be reckoned with in division II this year, no doubt about it. Just give them some time, and the changes will be very clear.

Scores are relatively flat across the board for all of D2. Judging is different this season too. I don't why, but there was only 1 field judge tonight in Westminster, and I was told that's the norm for the first part of this season. Seems odd to try to judge everything from the booth. Facility at Westminster was good, but the field was a pasture. Saw falls in every Corps I watched.

I am not sure what you mean by flat across the board. Can you elaborate?

Do you think the judge positioning had a hand in the Spartans scoring over the course of a week?

Can hardly wait to see what they do in Rome vs Teal Sound.

Scores are relatively flat across the board for all of D2. Judging is different this season too. I don't why, but there was only 1 field judge tonight in Westminster, and I was told that's the norm for the first part of this season. Seems odd to try to judge everything from the booth. Facility at Westminster was good, but the field was a pasture. Saw falls in every Corps I watched.

Can hardly wait to see what they do in Rome vs Teal Sound, Surf & Raiders.

Edited by noduttingoutloud

Its the biggest show for D2 until the focus shows out west. The flat score thing is pretty obvious. Check the scoring history tool right on this site for previous seasons and you find 1 - 3 point movement from show to show. This season, except for a couple of real low starts by a couple corps everyone is within 1-3 of where they started. The steady upward growth seems to be slow for all. I don't think its a problem for any, since it seems to be happening for all. It does kind of run contrary to your expectations for scoring though. Maybe Rome will shake things up. I don't know what the judge positioning may have done. Last night was the first I saw it, and I'm not even certain what he was judging. Just seems odd. It was the same way for the D1s that were there.

When our kids were with Teal Sound I know Div 2-3 Corps could be scored on Div 1 sheets if the show is largely Div 1 Corps. One year Teal performed at a Div 1 focus show - 2 days worth in Orlando. They were the only Div 3 there, no Div 2s and everyone else was Div 1. For that show they were judged on Div 1 sheets.

Don't know if this has been the case at any of the shows Div 2 Corps have done recently, but Div 1 sheets are a "harser". If anyone knows for sure - let us know please.

isn't at least the vis. perf. judge low in the stands until next month? isn't that 1 of the rule changes? btw spartans seem totally fine score wise, no worries