Race for Championship - 7 corps strong?

1st - Blue Devils - 82.150

2nd - The Cadets - 81.950

3rd - The Cavaliers - 81.900

4th - Phantom Regiment - 81.200

5th - Bluecoats - 80.900

6th - Santa Clara Vanguard - 80.550

7th - Carolina Crown - 80.350

From 1st-7th right now, ANY could pull off the victory in August. 2 points is nothing. I don't think we've seen anything like this before. THe usual suspects are winning, but there is literally a teeny gap between 7 corps! Amazing...

5th - Bluecoats - 80.900

From 1st-7th right now, ANY could pull off the victory in August. 2 points is nothing. I don't think we've seen anything like this before. THe usual suspects are winning, but there is literally a teeny gap between 7 corps! Amazing...

Interesting to note, and this is by no means scientific, but there seems to be 3 groups of "7" if you look at both the unweighted and weighted scores on DCP.

There is a fairly clear middle "7" group that shows the battle for finals shaping up and another "7" (although I'm not implying or saying anything about their ability to make it to finals/semi's) that shows the battle for semi's)

Early, early, early (especially for MY favorite corps, see below) since we only have one weekend under our belts, but the breakdown is pretty clearly into 3 groups of 7.

5th - Bluecoats - 80.900

Just something fun to look at... On July 1st last year the difference between 1st and 7th was 6.85. This year the difference is 1.8

(Placement on July 1 2006, Score, Corps, Finals Placement)

1. 83.05 - Blue Devils (3)

2. 82.7 - The Cavaliers (1)

3. 81.15 - The Cadets (5)

4. 80.3 - Bluecoats (4)

5. 79.15 - Phantom Regiment (2)

6. 77.6 - Santa Clara Vanguard (6)

7. 76.2 - Boston Crusaders (10)

----------------------

8. 75.95 - Carolina Crown (8)

9. 75.4 - Blue Knights (7)

10. 75.4 - Madison Scouts (9)

11. 71.55 - Colts (13)

12. 70.95 - Spirit (12)

(Glassmen were in Europe)

A lot can happen in one month.

Man oh man, it is an exciting year for drum corps!

Def!!!! the top seven are really close to each other!!! It's crazy I can't believe it! So excited YEAH DCI 2007 :laugh:

5th - Bluecoats - 80.900

I agree with you that the second-tier corps are greatly improving and that is GREAT for DCI.

But I don't believe that corps 5-7 have a chance to win it all.

Until proven otherwise.

i have to admit, it would be pretty amazing if Crown took it all this year. can you honestly imagine?! wow. wouldnt i love to be there on finals night to see that happen.

Right now, the thing that is primarily keeping this group close together is performance. As the season progresses, the better designed shows will separate from the weaker shows, and a more distinct spread will appear. (albeit the spread will probably not be very large, but greater than it is now)

Corps like Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Cadets and usually SCV have always been able to draw out the top talent to their auditions.

Crown and Bluecoats have been benefiting from their recent successes in performance by drawing a higher quality level of talent to their corps, thus showing why we are seeing these two groups start off this season even stronger than ever before.

Phantom is in a bit of a middle ground, they've been duking it out with the other perennial top corps for decades, though still rising and falling through the years, and they usually are not lacking in quality talent. They have shown great improvement these past couple of years from their previous 'slump' (of not contending for a title).

Though, the key point I would like to make, is that between these 7 corps, they should all be executing very well by August. However, it is likely going to come down to the best designed shows in order to cipher a true winner in the end, and as such, I wouldn't be surprised to see a sub-division of these corps in the next couple of weeks. Much like last year, when the Bluecoats were able to keep pace with BD, PR etc for some time, but eventually were held back a little bit by in my opinion, a less competitve show as a whole.

$0.02

what if there was a seven way tie at finals. :laugh: