Age Out Ceremonies in the 70s'-80's !

Someone suggested that the Kingsmen Alumni Corps come onto the field in their socks and put their shoes on. Great idea but not too practical

Made me laugh...but no, not practical at all...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone suggested that the Kingsmen Alumni Corps come onto the field in their socks and put their shoes on. Great idea but not too practical

Oh I am so in!!! In fact I'll take it a step further..bear with me here...go out naked and put our uniforms on on the field...huh huh??

You think you had groupies before...hehehehe...let's gauge the responses now B)

Hi Wendy...shouldn't you be working or something b**bs

The shoe thing was good.....

But back in the mid-to-late 60s a lot of us didn't "age out" of drum corps, we got drafted.

So I never got a plaque.....I did get this handsome scar down the middle of my back as a consolation prize though and a lovely retirement certificate from The Army.

And truthfully, it's been somewhat financially better than a plaque.

RON HOUSLEY

The shoe thing was good.....

But back in the mid-to-late 60s a lot of us didn't "age out" of drum corps, we got drafted.

So I never got a plaque.....I did get this handsome scar down the middle of my back as a consolation prize though and a lovely retirement certificate from The Army.

And truthfully, it's been somewhat financially better than a plaque.

RON HOUSLEY

That fall off of the roof? Washington, wasn't it?

Never put the words, "Hoax" and "#$%@&* Ferns" in the same sentence!!! ^0^

Yes, Mike, the fall from grace happened at Fort Lewis, WA, Oct. 4th, 1968. Didn't make Sentinals rehearsal that niight......the corps later sent somebody over to the post to get their baritone bugle out of my locker.

And re: FF. I didn't use FF and.

Hoax in the same sentence.

That was in Drum Corps News back a few issues....I just passed on the info.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

But you went on to teach the Fern's as Bari tech...I remember those great De Kat arrangements.... B)

We did a small age-out ceremony in 87 with Sky Ryders at a home exhibition.

At DCI, I carried our guards "Crown" flag (Long Island Kingsmen) under my jacket. Before we left the field, I laid the flag down. Somewhere up in the stands I hoped the corps director, Noel Borden, was watching. It was my salute to our corps, who never got to perform in finals. It was my first time making it after 11 years. I scored the same score with 27th the year before when we placed 13th. My age-out present was just getting to perform in finals!

Note: It will be an awesome moment when the 3rd generation of Bordens marches in finals! Get it Blue Stars!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't individual corps have their own age-out ceremonies?

Our corps used to circle up and play our show to the age-outs in the middle. If I remember correctly, the staff stayed outside the circle.

I aged-out of Freelancers in '84, one of only 2 brass players that year. The hronline circled around and played Amazing Grace, one of our warm-up chorales. That was the first year that singing was allowed on the field, so it started with a soft beautiful vocal that built and built as the brass was added. By the end it was one of the loudest, most beautiful sounds I had ever heard. I cried like a baby. Still gives me goose bumps.

Just curious, do the age-outs get anything special from DCI now?

I know Crossmen age-outs are given a silver Maltese Cross pendant....usually by an alumni. I think it's a great tradition and one I wished was started when I marched. We did get a plaque with our name on it at our corps banquet.

I liked the old tradition of leaving your shoes on the field after finals. I left mine along with a pair of bass mallets and a note on the field in KC after finals in 1988.

I collect keepsakes too much. I couldn't stand to leave mine out there. I'd feel like I abandoned them :). Got 'em in a box with all my other DC memorabilia.