Age Out Ceremonies in the 70s'-80's !

I was at the DCI Finals in Denver in 2004 and at the semis I experienced my first age out ceremony !!! b**bs b**bs

That must have been a blast for all those corps members to walk out on the field and experience the reception of the audience one last time. :huh::worthy:

I wish they would have had an age out ceremony when I aged out, after ten years of drum corps in the 70's !!! :laugh:

It would have been nice. B)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the old tradition of leaving your shoes on the field after finals. I left mine along with a pair of bass mallets and a note on the field in KC after finals in 1988.

With regards to leaving your shoes on the field, I never marched finals in DCI, is it still cool to leave your shoes on the field even if you didn't march finals..... after 30 years ? :huh:

Edited by ODBC

Some of us who never had age-out ceremonies, will be leaving it _all_ on the field at Pasadena this August, and hopefully a few lingering notes in the fans' hearts and memories......

Some of us who never had age-out ceremonies, will be leaving it _all_ on the field at Pasadena this August, and hopefully a few lingering notes in the fans' hearts and memories......

Although I can't be there to see your show, could you leave a few notes on the field for me too...please ? ^OO^

I know when I aged out in '77, there was nothing - nada - zero - zilch to honor us. I am not quite sure when I first saw shoes left behind, and some kids left behind hand written notes.

I didn't leave happily, I just had to move on.

Didn't individual corps have their own age-out ceremonies?

Our corps used to circle up and play our show to the age-outs in the middle. If I remember correctly, the staff stayed outside the circle.

After scores were announced at Finals in 1980, I along with the other 22 members of the Schaumburg Guardsmen that had just marched our 'age-out' final show, walked to the front of the corps and removed our shoes. We had a soprano player named Eddie that had marched with the Bridgemen in 1979. He proceeded to toss his shoes over his shoulder-right into our guard! I remember 'Cheesball' Galvin giving him a serious tongue-lashing right then and there. The funniest sight afterwards was the one judge that took it upon himself to chase after us as we marched off, his arms full of shoes!

Actually, we could have used them once we reached the parking lot at Legion Field as the parking lot was some crushed gravel and man did it hurt!

As far as the corps proceedings, in the corps handed out orange plumes to wear out for retreat to all of the members aging out.

Edited by stoods59

After scores were announced at Finals in 1980, I along with the other 22 members of the Schaumburg Guardsmen that had just marched our 'age-out' final show, walked to the front of the corps and removed our shoes. We had a soprano player named Eddie that had marched with the Bridgemen in 1979. He proceeded to toss his shoes over his shoulder-right into our guard! I remember 'Cheesball' Galvin giving him a serious tongue-lashing right then and there. The funniest sight afterwards was the one judge that took it upon himself to chase after us as we marched off, his arms full of shoes!

Actually, we could have used them once we reached the parking lot at Legion Field as the parking lot was some crushed gravel and man did it hurt!

Gary Stoodley

1980 Schaumburg Guardsmen

That's why I stashed a pair of tennis shoes between my bass and my harness so i had something to wear off the field cause I knew I didn't want to be marching in the Parking lot in nothing but socks.