TCU Marching Band

Don't know how many of you caught the Rose Bowl game, but TCU got on TV at halftime with a rendition of Malaguena near equal to the 2003 Cadets version. And by that I mean was pretty much arranged based entirely off of the Cadets' version right down to the call/answer between the battery and horns. Even if it was indirect DCI exposure I thought it was cool to see.

TCU is one of the better college bands you'll see (full pit, contemporary drill), so they're definitely worth a look for those of you interested.

I agree about TCU being one of the better college marching bands out there. I think most college marching bands around, including some very high profile ones, sound like garbage. They sound like 200 trumpets and trombones all trying to play louder than the person standing next to them.

Is it just another variant of the Bill Holman arrangement as used in Madison '96, Blast!, etc.? Obviously each has their own tweaks (intro, solos, percussion, etc.). I'm curious as to how close TCU's rendition was to Don Hill's take on the arrangement for the Cadets.

• Like 1

I'm assuming TCU was stripped for time during the Rosebowl so they just did Malaguena, but here's the full show from earlier in the season. It's not exactly DCI standards by any means, but it is most definitely based off of the arrangement from Cadets 03.

They open up the show with "El Toro Caliente" from Madison's 95 show too.

Malaguena starts around 4:20 in the vid.

BTW I am SOOO happy TCU won that game :thumbup:

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

I agree about TCU being one of the better college marching bands out there. I think most college marching bands around, including some very high profile ones, sound like garbage. They sound like 200 trumpets and trombones all trying to play louder than the person standing next to them.

So which bands, in your opinion, sound that way? Any that are any good?

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of horn I saw on the field at the rose bowl halftime..they had a close up of some kind of huge monstrosity, with a HUGE shallow bell front, with tubing galore..was about baritone sized, but just looked weird to me...

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of horn I saw on the field at the rose bowl halftime..they had a close up of some kind of huge monstrosity, with a HUGE shallow bell front, with tubing galore..was about baritone sized, but just looked weird to me...

Sounds like you're describing a marching french horn.

I wonder how they got the rights to that Madison piece.

If you are referring to El Toro Caliente, I know a few bands out there that have done it. It is a Scott Boerma original composition so I'm sure it is available for purchase. Scott uses Kjos publishers.

Marching French Horn, my friend.