TCU Marching Band

Don't know how many of you caught the Rose Bowl game, but TCU got on TV at halftime with a rendition of Malaguena near equal to the 2003 Cadets version. And by that I mean was pretty much arranged based entirely off of the Cadets' version right down to the call/answer between the battery and horns. Even if it was indirect DCI exposure I thought it was cool to see.

TCU is one of the better college bands you'll see (full pit, contemporary drill), so they're definitely worth a look for those of you interested.

Since everyone is throwing out college marching bands. lol

Murray State University

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWKAWTcasQ

Star

Malaguena

Great joke-what's the difference between a bassoon and an oboe? A bassoon burns longer!

Since everyone is throwing out college marching bands. lol

Murray State University

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWKAWTcasQ

Star

Malaguena

Great joke-what's the difference between a bassoon and an oboe? A bassoon burns longer!

Technically, with the oboe being made of a denser wood (grenadilla) vs a bassoon made of maple, the oboe would burn longer.

I did see the TCU band and what a refreshing sight and sound. What is up with the jump-step and high step bands among the high profile college bands? That aweful side-to-side swagger? Have the doctors of music not been out of their bandrooms in the past 40 years? Did you all get your PHds and get stuck in the 50s? (1950s, that is) Maybe watched the movie "Drumline" 10 years ago? Wow--bad uniforms, bad musicical selection and bad marching and really bad playing. U of M, Wisconson, OSU, Ilinois, Notre Dame and all the southern college bands. Yuk! Now tonight, I get to watch OSU and see the crowd go wild over the script OHIO.

Not all Southern college bands:

I did see the TCU band and what a refreshing sight and sound. What is up with the jump-step and high step bands among the high profile college bands? That aweful side-to-side swagger? Have the doctors of music not been out of their bandrooms in the past 40 years? Did you all get your PHds and get stuck in the 50s? (1950s, that is) Maybe watched the movie "Drumline" 10 years ago? Wow--bad uniforms, bad musicical selection and bad marching and really bad playing. U of M, Wisconson, OSU, Ilinois, Notre Dame and all the southern college bands. Yuk! Now tonight, I get to watch OSU and see the crowd go wild over the script OHIO.

Yet, ironically, they are seen by millions and many enjoy what they do. Snobby music majors doing drum corps are seen by dozens.

Is it just another variant of the Bill Holman arrangement as used in Madison '96, Blast!, etc.? Obviously each has their own tweaks (intro, solos, percussion, etc.). I'm curious as to how close TCU's rendition was to Don Hill's take on the arrangement for the Cadets.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the Directors at TCU was at LD Bell, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got the chart from Hill (LD Bell/ Hill arranges). That said, I know for a fact that if your arrangement is close to Hill's charts, he likes to send emails (polite, professional and not rude) to the director and TCU was almost exact rip of his arrangement (the one I had experience with had a total of 12 measures in the whole score, a 24 count solo and a 12 count mello counter). Now if you have the rights to arrange, you can use any source though.