Crossmen 2014

DCFAN

Listened to a couple Bones Hour pod casts and Naffier wasn't mentioned. But they did say that Tim Green is staying on as percussion caption head, but that Lee Beddis WILL NOT be writing for them in 2014.

In the Sept 5th podcast at 31:10, Fred says "I look forward to Chuck's music arrangements and also our percussion writers whatever they are going to pull together". So, unless things have changed since then....sounds like Chuck will be back.

My opinion. Other than Some Nights the arrangements were thin and uninteresting. They played much better than the book. Drums need more mature teaching. Drill design was not even good marching band drill. Too bad the coordinator didn't catch that. I would think a wholesale design change would be a good step there. I know people preach about consistency but consistently below par is notice for change.

• Like 2

Naffier 1 Fallon 0

quote name='arrangerX' timestamp='1379099766' post='3323558']

Hello Ray,

I'm a professional music arranger. That's what I do to pay the bills. My passion is to arrange and compose. This isn't about playing "favorites" or some odd concept of competition. The Colts and Crossmen are not guaranteed to be competitive in the future. Far more than brass arrangements will be the difference there.

Do you honestly think Jay Bocook consciously thinks about how he'll write a better book for the Cadets than the Blue Knights? How about Robert Smith writing for Madison and the Troopers? Think he tanked one for the Troopers so Madison wouldn't have as much competition?

Do you even know me? My mission is to provide the best for the members, regardless of color of the uniform. Do you think I would abuse my trusted position for something as meaningless as a score or placement?

Kind of insulting my friend.

Chuck Naffier

• Like 2

With all due respect, perhaps Mr. Fallon is merely having a lapse of memory moment rather than trying to be offensive.

I think he is originally from around the NY and LI area, yes? I seem to remember such a name, not only with today's fine 7th Regiment, but all the way back to the Oceanside Legionnaires. If he is from that same lineage, he need only think of how many corps Hy Dreitzer, Joe Genaro, Eric Perilloux, and Carmen Cluna simultaneously taught, and at times were competing for the same titles, BITD.

For an arranger/designer to be creative enough to do well with more than one corps simultaneously is not new. Pete Weber wrote well with both Glassmen and SCV in World Class in addition to the names Chuck mentioned, and each corps kept their own distinctive identity. I think both Lee Beddis and Tom Aungst have arranged for more than one DCI World Class corps at the same time as well. Certainly in our large drum corps family, there is more than one personality writing for multiple bands in the autumn season. For many it is how they can afford to do drum corps.

Another way of looking at it is in the role of a parent who has more than one child. Doesn't the parent love each appropriate to that child? Sure there may be families where one seems more favored than another, sometimes it is as simple as personalities clicking better than others and not necessarily from deliberate efforts to make one shine more than another. In fact, loving each is considered more psychologically healthy I surmize than choosing one and discarding the other. If you have more than just the Crossmen's synth player, you may know what I mean. You probably didn't mean to be offensive but rather a bit of a cheerleader for your daughter's unit. Have a great weekend.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 2

Naffier 1 Fallon 0

quote name='arrangerX' timestamp='1379099766' post='3323558']

Hello Ray,

I'm a professional music arranger. That's what I do to pay the bills. My passion is to arrange and compose. This isn't about playing "favorites" or some odd concept of competition. The Colts and Crossmen are not guaranteed to be competitive in the future. Far more than brass arrangements will be the difference there.

Do you honestly think Jay Bocook consciously thinks about how he'll write a better book for the Cadets than the Blue Knights? How about Robert Smith writing for Madison and the Troopers? Think he tanked one for the Troopers so Madison wouldn't have as much competition?

Do you even know me? My mission is to provide the best for the members, regardless of color of the uniform. Do you think I would abuse my trusted position for something as meaningless as a score or placement?

Kind of insulting my friend.

Chuck Naffier

Chuck,

Went back and read my original post - horribly written - see why you took it that way.

Humble apologies. I'm actually one of your fans.

Maybe I've started to write too much and think too little.

Best of luck with whatever teams you're writing for.

I have to go get my foot out of my mouth.

Sincere apologies,

Ray Fallon

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 5

With all due respect, perhaps Mr. Fallon is merely having a lapse of memory moment rather than trying to be offensive.

I think he is originally from around the NY and LI area, yes? I seem to remember such a name, not only with today's fine 7th Regiment, but all the way back to the Oceanside Legionnaires. If he is from that same lineage, he need only think of how many corps Hy Dreitzer, Joe Genaro, Eric Perilloux, and Carmen Cluna simultaneously taught, and at times were competing for the same titles, BITD.

For an arranger/designer to be creative enough to do well with more than one corps simultaneously is not new. Pete Weber wrote well with both Glassmen and SCV in World Class in addition to the names Chuck mentioned, and each corps kept their own distinctive identity. I think both Lee Beddis and Tom Aungst have arranged for more than one DCI World Class corps at the same time as well. Certainly in our large drum corps family, there is more than one personality writing for multiple bands in the autumn season. For many it is how they can afford to do drum corps.

Another way of looking at it is in the role of a parent who has more than one child. Doesn't the parent love each appropriate to that child? Sure there may be families where one seems more favored than another, sometimes it is as simple as personalities clicking better than others and not necessarily from deliberate efforts to make one shine more than another. In fact, loving each is considered more psychologically healthy I surmize than choosing one and discarding the other. If you have more than just the Crossmen's synth player, you may know what I mean. You probably didn't mean to be offensive but rather a bit of a cheerleader for your daughter's unit. Have a great weekend.

Before I completely blow myself up, I just quickly need to point out that while I did one year writing for 7th Regiment (when their young arranger didn't come through during the winter) that is my only connection besides the fact that my daughter played synth there before Crossmen and my son Ray is the brass coordinator.

Don't want my bad posting to reflect on his good teaching.

I'm going to give myself a short suspension now. Seems appropriate.

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 1