Color Guard Audition Tips

I am currently participating in my junior year of color guard at my high school. DCI is my biggest goal, but I am afraid that I could never make it due to our circumstances. I have never spun rifle or sabre because we just don't. I've asked my instructor to allow us (we have rifles in our closet and our majorettes spin sabre for competition) but she will not teach us. I do own an airblade at home but I do not know how to properly handle it. I am able to do variations of 45 tosses and flat tosses (one-handed, catching behind back, ect.) which is something I notice a lot in DCI, but I still worry that I wouldn't be at the right level to make it through auditions. II would consider myself to be pretty good with a flag as I practice outside everyday and can do things that most girls in my guard can't, but I'm not sure how much better I need to be. 've never participated in winter guard, as that is another thing we have asked our instructor to allow us to do and she has turned us down. We do not incorporate much dance into our routines, although I can do basic moves because we participate in an FJM camp every summer and we learn basic dance there. I can do the hardest routines at camp with little trouble, but I still don't know how close that is to what a color guard participating in DCI would be doing.

If you have any tips as to what I could do to prepare myself for a DCI audition in a couple years it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be with Bluecoats (as I currently live in Canton Ohio and have lived here my entire life) but with their success this season I feel I am probably even farther from being good enough to make it in. If you know the kinds of things I would need to be able to do before auditioning that would be helpful because I do still have time, I'm just not sure if it's enough time.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1

I am currently participating in my junior year of color guard at my high school. DCI is my biggest goal, but I am afraid that I could never make it due to our circumstances. I have never spun rifle or sabre because we just don't. I've asked my instructor to allow us (we have rifles in our closet and our majorettes spin sabre for competition) but she will not teach us. I do own an airblade at home but I do not know how to properly handle it. I am able to do variations of 45 tosses and flat tosses (one-handed, catching behind back, ect.) which is something I notice a lot in DCI, but I still worry that I wouldn't be at the right level to make it through auditions. II would consider myself to be pretty good with a flag as I practice outside everyday and can do things that most girls in my guard can't, but I'm not sure how much better I need to be. 've never participated in winter guard, as that is another thing we have asked our instructor to allow us to do and she has turned us down. We do not incorporate much dance into our routines, although I can do basic moves because we participate in an FJM camp every summer and we learn basic dance there. I can do the hardest routines at camp with little trouble, but I still don't know how close that is to what a color guard participating in DCI would be doing.

If you have any tips as to what I could do to prepare myself for a DCI audition in a couple years it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be with Bluecoats (as I currently live in Canton Ohio and have lived here my entire life) but with their success this season I feel I am probably even farther from being good enough to make it in. If you know the kinds of things I would need to be able to do before auditioning that would be helpful because I do still have time, I'm just not sure if it's enough time.

Thanks in advance for your help!

For sure get yourself into a dance class, Ballet for sure. If there is an independent guard around , visit rehearsals or join if your HS doesn't participate in winter guard. Living in Canton see if you can hook up with a Blue coat if possible. Focus on what you think you do well, ( flag ) and don't try to do it all. If you decide to venture int o sabre and rifle although tossing is important it's not the only thing. Many new students think the higher I toss the better I am..NO! Be ready financially. There are also some WGI training DVDs but thats kind of hard to self teach , even with DVDs. It helps but I'm not sure how much you may get out of it.

• Like 1

I know this would be a bit of a drive, but Onxy is having a clinic next Sunday from noon too 5 with various levels. At the Nutter Center in Dayton. Only $10. Check out their website for more info. Also, Artistry in Blue and Collage are both independent winter guards in your area, and seems like there are others too. They might have their own clinics. Winter guard would definitely help with the dance stuff. And, open class corps might be something to check into for next summer. You could likely learn a lot from a summer in OC.

Get thee to a WGI or Drum Corps...Madison. Love Onyx and their philosophy!! Take the advice of current teachers and members and remember to set your goals high...and be prepared to shine, baby. Get as many opinions as you can and go with your instincts. Best of luck!