Jeff Ream

The history of the Westshoremen

Just something here on a subject I bounced on a bit- The tuba project is coming along. The valves and casings were replated by top notch music and aerospace folks. The engravers are working to make sure all the engravings are touched up before plating.

I caved and bought an Urbie Green, Todd thinks it may have been one of Urbie's horns before a service jazz band person got it from him. Todd's getting it spiffed up at this point. It's light as a feather. Now to work on my slide technique in the meantime. Always wanted one since I was a kid. I figured... if I don't grab this, I'll complain for years I let it get away. :happy:

On 4/14/2018 at 6:54 PM, BigW said:

Just something here on a subject I bounced on a bit- The tuba project is coming along. The valves and casings were replated by top notch music and aerospace folks. The engravers are working to make sure all the engravings are touched up before plating.

Hmmm..... perhaps a drum corps or marching band could line up Northrop Grumman as a sponsor for their tuba lines?  :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Wasn't them.... it was... yes, Anderson.  :thumbup:

http://www.andersonsilverplating.com/band_instrument.html

About 500 bucks with the shipping and handling. Evidently because Stoelzel valve casings are so thin, they evidently loved the challenge, but it came with a price.. :satisfied:

It was amazing to see the actual valve when Todd pulled it at Rosso. since the air flows out the bottom of the valve, they kind of have to be a bit thin. Not sure of I mentioned this earlier, each valve stem was also stamped with the serial number. Evidently, they were hand made specifically for the specific instrument. :blink: