Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

Maybe (ref. Glass in 1999) ... but Ravel and Bartok hardly qualify as minimalist composers.

Agree. One would be hard pressed to find any esteemed music educator at the collegiate level that would put Ravel, in particular, in the minimalist camp of Composers.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zero people would put Ravel in the minimalist camp with any ability to read and use an encyclopedia. or Bartok, of course.

Exactly. 'Not sure why the poster above them in his minimalist camp.

Edited by BRASSO

:thumbdown:

Maybe because of Bolero? Heck if I know. lol.

nothing " minimalist " about Ravel's "Bolero"..... nosiree..... (haha)

Edited by BRASSO

Definitely didn't mean to say minimalist, I got going in my little rant and didn't realize what I wrote.

Sorry guys.

I used to like how SCV " operates ", but the G-7 soured me a bt here re. how SCV " operates ". ( just my opinion here)

That said, I will acknowledge that SCV doing Bartok this year and Star doing Bartok is probably just a coincidence. Others can likewise decide for themselves if it's just a coincidence or not.

I doubt that the Star alumni reunion was on the mind of their design team. On the other hand, SCV 2010 was storyboarded by Jon Vanderkolff and also Carol Abohatab, both were involved in Star 1993.

I agree. There is no need to fuel the haters who demean those Corps that" use mirrors, horse fences, et and other props and so forth. People should be able to speak their mind without engaging in the slings and arrows toward other Corps to try and boost their favorite Corps show here.

Also, I wasn't demeaning those corps at all.

I actually liked most of those shows I referenced, it was just a way for me to contrast the current DCI trend of gimmicky shows with what Vanguard is doing.

zero people would put Ravel in the minimalist camp with any ability to read and use an encyclopedia. or Bartok, of course.

Don't worry Lance, I have both of those abilities.

It was just a matter of me not thinking about what I was trying to say before typing it. haha

Definitely didn't mean to say minimalist, I got going in my little rant and didn't realize what I wrote.

Sorry guys.

No problem, rosski47, we ALL have a keyboard stroke every once in awhile... ( I'm about overdue for another...haha)