Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

I know they are usually very quiet on the news front, but has anyone heard or seen anything they want to share? The SCV family day was yesterday. Did anyone go?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did. Not in uniform for these run throughs but I think this show is going to surprise a lot of people. Not typical SCV, in my opinion. Definitely pushing the envelope for them. I think it will really grow on people and I am excited about it. I loved Ballet for Martha but this is NOT Ballet for Martha. Will see them tonight in unis, along with BD at BD's Family Day.

Watched a run through recently. It is definitely on the darker side with some intricate brass works. In my opinion, Bartok's pieces are one of the most challenging orchestration to arrange in drum corps because of the limited range of horn line. It is might disappoint some fans who love them for the Copland show last year, but it would grow on audience later in the season.

Unfortunately, I would not be at DVC tonight, so hopefully we could get some review here on DCP tonight.

Love to hear some news from any other corps other than 3Cs and Phantom. :p

Watched a run through recently. It is definitely on the darker side with some intricate brass works. In my opinion, Bartok's pieces are one of the most challenging orchestration to arrange in drum corps because of the limited range of horn line. It is might disappoint some fans who love them for the Copland show last year, but it would grow on audience later in the season.

Unfortunately, I would not be at DVC tonight, so hopefully we could get some review here on DCP tonight.

Love to hear some news from any other corps other than 3Cs and Phantom. :p

A dark Santa Clara, I like this new :tongue:

It's a brilliant show (from what they performed last night, which wasn't all of it). The better you know the source material, the more you'll like the show.... might be a stretch if you don't. The drill for the opener (first movement of the Concerto for Orchestra) and The Game of Pairs was awesome. Horn coloring VERY true to the original; percussion struggling a bit; great cymbal feature. You'll enjoy it, Jason.

The better you know the source material, the more you'll like the show.... might be a stretch if you don't.

This. I think that unlike last year, this is going to be a hard show to love on first viewing, unless you're familiar with the source material. Just like last year was compared to 87 Cadets a lot, understandably, I think this year's show is going to be compared to 93 Star.

If you are familiar with the originals: I heard movements I, II, and IV from Concerto for Orchestra, with movement II from Strings, Percussion and Celesta mixed in. Note that except for the first part of the show, last night was my first viewing, so there may be additional stuff I missed. They didn't perform the last part of the show, which I hear is pretty much movement V from CFO straight up. If you're familiar with that, you know that the show has the potential to be very special indeed.

Based on the latest "video" out there, there are plenty of ensemble issues to be worked out. It is quite understandable given the anture of Bartok's works. Once the it is sorted out and the corp picks up the pace in a few movements, it would be wicked!

Based on the latest "video" out there, there are plenty of ensemble issues to be worked out. It is quite understandable given the anture of Bartok's works. Once the it is sorted out and the corp picks up the pace in a few movements, it would be wicked!

Just saw the show and I have to say it looks interesting. They still need a closer, but this could contend for a championship...

Saw it somewhere.

It's gonna take more viewings, but wow, what a great show. The previous posts were right, the more you know and like the source material, the more you'll enjoy SCV. They remain very faithful. I'm not sure it's championship caliber, but it's gonna be a show I'm gonna love more and more throughout the season.

One caveat: wow, the percussion are riding the struggle bus. When I can tell that's pretty bad.