Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

I'm not in any way saying that any of those great musicians you mentioned (including Maynard) would have looked down upon drum corps. I'm saying that any of those great musicians would have had the ability to recognize Bartok's greatness. Maybe his music wasn't their favorite, but I assure you they respected it.

As the late, great Louis Armstrong once said..... "There is only two kinds of music in the world...... good music, and bad music."

One can " respect " the accomplisments of a composer..... and yet still find them boring, Tez. The positions are not incompatible at all. I respect the accomplishments of Bela Bartok.... but it's not my cup of tea. I find his music boring.

Similarly, there are Corps that I have respected their winning DCI accomplishment, but found their show unfulfilling.. or even boring. Once again, the position is not incompatible. One can respect the accomplishment of a performing artist, yet personally find their work boring beyond belief. I'm sure everyone here can name musicians, performers, composers, etc where we respect their accomplishments, yet we find their offerings personally boring or unsatisfying, and where we'd sooner take a nap or whatever. Bela Bartok's music induces that reaction in me. But again, I understand that others love his work.... good for them.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, not everybody is a fan of every composer. i really hate pretty much everything by holst, but happen to love just about everything bartok I've ever heard. it goes that way fro art across the board for just about everybody, i think. it's called taste.

that's all.

Just listening to parts of SCV's show on today's fieldpass... that is some great music.... not so pumped about the performance, many pitch and tone matching issues.

And with all the talk about the music being un-accessible and esoteric...... I don't think it is really that "out-there." If you were to put all of "classical sounding" music on a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being the most recognizable, accessible music, and 1 being the most obscure..... I would put what Vanguard is performing this year in the range of 50 to 60, or maybe even higher. There really isn't that much atonality, and it contains many traditional rhythms ad harmonic sequences.

I like it. :smile:

One can " respect " the accomplisments of a composer..... and yet still find them boring, Tez. The positions are not incompatible at all. I respect the accomplishments of Bela Bartok.... but it's not my cup of tea. I find his music boring.

Similarly, there are Corps that I have respected their winning DCI accomplishment, but found their show unfulfilling.. or even boring. Once again, the position is not incompatible. One can respect the accomplishment of a performing artist, yet personally find their work boring beyond belief. I'm sure everyone here can name musicians, performers, composers, etc where we respect their accomplishments, yet we find their offerings personally boring or unsatisfying, and where we'd sooner take a nap or whatever. Bela Bartok's music induces that reaction in me. But again, I understand that others love his work.... good for them.

That's great BRASSO....... it is just the way you have been talking (typing) about Bartok's music, at least to me, makes it sound like you don't have much respect for him. I think that is why you are finding so many people (including me) on here rushing to his defense. But thanks for clarifying your position. He isn't my favorite composer either, but as a trained musician I feel compelled to defend one of who is considered to be "masters" of 20th century classical music.

Back to SCV's show..... I actually disagree in a way with some of Key Poulan's comments on the Field Pass about Vanguard doing a complete 180 from last year. I see where he is coming from with the music sounding so different....... But I see both their 2009 and 2010 show to be very much the same. Both shows are utilizing very straight-forward arrangements of pieces of classical music, with perfectly complementary visuals. Their elegant and simple show design last year fit Appalachian Spring to a tee. From what I have seen this year.... the guard design, and certainly Weber's drill fit Bartok's music perfectly. The only difference in the show's is the source music, but I get the same interpretation from both though.

yeah, not everybody is a fan of every composer. i really hate pretty much everything by holst, but happen to love just about everything bartok I've ever heard. it goes that way fro art across the board for just about everybody, i think. it's called taste.

that's all.

Well, there you go. Given a choice ,Holst appeals to my ears better than anything Bartok has produced. You are of course correct here. it's simply a matter of personal likes and dislikes. Not sure why some people get all bent of of shape if some music they like, someone else finds to be snoozeville. I'm sure there is music and composers that I might like, that others find boring beyond belief. They can even tell me how much they find that music boring. That's fine. I don't care. Nor should I. People's personal taste in music is not predicated on what others think. At least, I hope not. I'm not going to try and persuade those who love Bartok's music that they shouldn't.That'd be both stupid and most likely a futile exercise anyway. So to those who love the music of Bartok.... I say enjoy !.... ( and let me take a nap, or go for a stroll, when his music fills the immediate air). This way, we'll all be happy .

Edited by BRASSO

Bump.

Key Poulan talks about the show on the most recent Field Pass

Thanks. I listened. The statement "tension and release" reminds me of musical dynamics, whisper...crescendo...loud and proud! I like :-)

Chill-Hobbes.gif

I'm a bit tickled by all this. When a corps does something different they either fly or fall on they're face. Cadets 05/06 a prime example. I for one was wow by the audio from field pass with brass staff insight. Glad SCV is keeping true to their V.

I also think that they're know the difficulty of the show and GE loss till more people become familiar with the show. Its gonna hurt em for a bit, the .5 loss in GE couldnt make up for being over .4 above BK in music.

'No risk no reward'

Three quick questions to any SCV insiders....

1. When would the pre-show be added. They have one of the most beautiul pre-show last season. No reason to doubt their ability to generating great mood for the show.

2. Currently, the cymball line was parked by the pit during the "game of pair" section of the show. Are there more visual to be wrriten? It seems pretty wasteful since they could generate much visual GE.

3. Drum majors didnot take his aussie off until the begining of the second movement (Music for Strings, Percussion & Chelesta, Mvt. II). Any reason for that change?

I think in about 3 weeks, everything in this show will suddenly click. It will go from just interesting to pretty awesome.

There are changes ahead as well!