Another Louisville Review

Southwind

This is a transitional year for Southwind. Pretty nice sound overall. Dance movements thoughout the show add a nice effect. They had some holes to deal with, but did okay. I doubt they will make semis again, but I think they are on the right track. Look for them to contend for finals here in a few years.

Colts

As with previous years, the Colts chose good music, but played the not-so-challenging part, or watered it down. "Colours" did not seem to go with the rest of the show. Sound was better than Southwind's, and louder. I was not too impressed by this corps, though. Look for them to be 14-15 at World again.

Magic of Orlando

Opening chimes and solos are very cool. This all leads to the hit in Sinfonia Voci, which is very impressive. After this, they move into Abrams Pursuit. From here, the rest of the show goes nowhere. I felt about 9 minutes of the same thing. They had a mature sound and a decent guard, but I don't like this show. It is different from last year, and not as good IMO. I think they will have a hard time making finals this year.

Glassmen

The show is decent, similar to last year's. Opening statements are nice and move into fast, free-flowing music. October is haunting enough without the drum beats in it. I wish they would cut those. The show is not very loud and misses impact points. There were better than at Harrison, but have a long way to go. I think they will make finals, but probably no better than 10th.

Carolina Crown

They were the first Div. 1 corps of the night. The opening drill to the bell beats was very nice. The corps then turns around and hits the impact from La Fiesta. This was very impressive and led nicely into their first song. Throughout the show, they go back to portions of Stained Glass. This was nice the first time, but I think there are too many pit features. The closer was "Carol of the Bells". This song should NOT be played by drum corps/marching band. It would've been cool to throw this in as a theme here and there, but to play the actual song for 3 or so minutes was too much. They have a shot at finals, but my prediction is they will fall short.

SPIRIT

I was greatly looking forward to this show. The opening is very nice, with some cool drill, leading to the corps making an hourglass and the guard running from top to bottom. Whirr, Whirr, Whirr was good, with an impressve sound and articulation. Not clean yet, but should be great come August. October was nice, the best field arrangement I have heard yet. I did not like the show after this. Nutville was not very good brass-wise, in that their parts were not hard. Percussion did have a nice feature in this. Appalachian Morning was performed pretty well, and they ended on a soft note with wood blocks and the guard running to the top of the hourglass. The first half of the show was great, the second half didn't really go with it. They should make finals again, but no higher than 10th. I think Glassmen will get them in the end.

Madison Scouts

This was the second viewing of this show for me, and I thought they were much improved from Wednesday. The guard is young, but are really good. Rifles are impressive, I saw 2 drops, which is not bad consdering all of the tosses. Madison has an exciting, yet controlled sound. The show flows very nicely. Urban, the jazz piece in the middle, is great with the guard coming to the middle of the field and all using rifles. I really like this show and can't wait to see the finished product. They will make finals, probably around the 8 spot.

Bluecoats

I really like this show also. It is similar to last year in that it's nothing terribly hard, but very effective. Guard outfits are red and opposite of the corps'. Everything looks great together. I never thought I'd see them play Melillo, but "The Chosen" just fits them. The guard may be the best Bluecoats' ever. The best part of the show is over halfway through when the corps is in a block, and break off into 4 parts, each going to half time and moving to a different melody. VERY COOL! They are a lock for finals, possibly as high as 6th.

The Cadets

Their starting the show instead of a warm-up is obviously a slap in the face to DCI, making it a 13 minute show like Hop wants but can't have. The first song is not a Cadets song and doesn't go anywhere/isn't very exciting. Malaguena is also not their song. About halfway through this, I thought I might start geting into their show, but did not. After listening to Blast!, this song is just a letdown. Rocky Point is for the Cadets, but doesn't fit after Malaguena. The drill move where they rotate the company front is a straight ripoff of Madison. However, to make this show their "own", they use blue flags. I absolutely hate this show. The Cadets need to come up with something new, instead of just throwing stuff together. They cannot touch the Cavies and don't see them making higher then 4th at World.

Cavaliers

The guard's unis don't look that bad with the rest of the show. Opening is nice and sets the stage for spin cycle, with roating movements. Guard is phenominal throughout the show. The music, while is noticably Saucedo, is very different, with some double tounging licks and screaming sops. I'm still trying to digest some of their insane drill. Incredible show. They will be very hard to beat yet again. I think they will go undeafeated again. I can't wait to see what the Blue Devils have cooked up, though.

In all

The Cadets were a huge letdown.

I think that of the 16 in semis looking for finals this year, I have knocked 3 out: Magic, Crown, and Colts. Possibly add Blue Knights and you have your finals. These are just predictions and should become more clear when Cascades and Crossmen are thrown into the mix.

Edited by GeorgeD

Moved to the review forum.

ah he must be a drum corps rookie anyways... "songs" have words and are on the radio... Cadets aren't playing "songs"

the show title explains why they are playing other pieces... no corps OWNS a piece (unless it's original, and then the composer does, not the corps)

cadets NEVER do an onfield warmup... but you hear the drumline do a short one while the guard sets up and the hornline marches to their first set.... pretty cool in my opinion.. it's giving us a taste of "our favorite things"

you think hoppy needs to retire because of this show? LOL! amazing... cadets are one if not the most fan friendly (and kids/student friendly) corps around. If you don't like them... fine... but don't give us a review based on who you WANT to win or lose

I don't mind an honest review that states what each of us feel. I feel bad that this person doesn't care for the Cadets, and he has a right to express that. So just consider this post a point from the other side. First, all my friends who went to the Louisville show told me that the Cadets generated more crowd response and applause than any other corps. Secondly, no corps owns any song. Madison does not own Malaguena. Some of my fondest memories of that tune are of them performing it, no doubt. But the Muchachos also performed the tune, and the Cadets are also paying tribute to them as well. Third, the warm up issue is being blown out of proportion when people state that Hopkins decided to do it to add two more minutes to the show. Actually, I believe the Cadets staff was looking for a way to make the show creative, introduce the "My Favorite Things" theme, and what the heck, entertain the audience. Not everyone is going to like it. I love it. It's unique and fresh for this particular show. Other corps have done this as well. Each show has its own style, color, unique blend of sound, movement and artistry, and this version of the Cadets show is a unique concept for us to enjoy. Take it for what it is and enjoy it. If you hate it. That's cool. B) If it's not your cup of tea, that's cool too. :)

Thanks for writing a review.

Jonathan Willis

Guest GeorgeD

well - so far I too find the Cadets' program "lacking" - but it's early in the season so I'll keep an open mind

Percussion and Guard both are very strong - and I am sure the corps is working hard to make the product better with each outing.

Hmmm, I figured since I was writing a review, I could give MY opinion.

First off, I am not a drum corps rookie. This is my first post on here, but not on DCI/band in general. I have been watching live shows since 99, which is when I really got started loving drum corps. I also have a large collection of audio and video recordings of many drum corps, from even 20 years sgo. I find it very funny that because I said "songs" you assume I'm a rookie. Excuse me, what do you want to call them? Pieces? Is that better? I don't always say songs, but being on here, I don't think it really matters. This isn't exactly a paper for college or anything.

As for Hopkins, I realize I was pretty harsh. I'm not saying he should retire just because I didn't like their show. I think he and the Cadets have been going downhill the past couple of years. Also, I did not like that he took out parts of their show last year just to make it easier, IMO. One example is a run in Boogie Woogie, but that is last year, so.... I also do not like his ideas in changing drum corps, and really, making it more like marching band. I realize that the Music is Cool (I think that's what it's called) is a great thing for kids in music. I also see that Hopkins does try to make fan-friendly shows. I respect him, but feel he may be changing drum corps too much for my liking and that is MY OPINION.