Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

I'm curious to know as well...

Is the mello line complete or do they still have some spots to fill anyway?

Perhaps someone with insider information has a hunch.

From what I understand the line has been filled for a couple camps.

• Like 1

I'm curious to know as well...

Is the mello line complete or do they still have some spots to fill anyway?

Perhaps someone with insider information has a hunch.

One of the fine young men I support in the group says:

- The mello line is full.

- Chunks of the solo part have already been played for some of the staff.

Two problems I see with this.

One. You leave out the fact that you are also welcome to prove that you DO in fact have what it takes for this job.

Two. What about your co-worker who's in the same boat as you? Who gets to decide whose strengths the position is tailored to?

YUP!

I have made a note of the fact that every single protester to this "scholarship" idea has completely ignored and glossed over (conveniently) two very KEY facts. That being...

1. This opportunity is equally offered to the current members of the corps
  2. the doner of this "fund" requested specifically that the money be used STRICTLY for the purpose of creating a discount for the said soloist.

If people would just comprehend these two very key and IMPORTANT facts, the discussion would be over because under these two facts, the protesters have no leg to stand on. Conveniently, however, every protester has ignored, dogged and ran from addressing these two points.

Amazing, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Edited by bmjfelts1988

Good to know. Thank you.

YUP!

I have made a note of the fact that every single protester to this "scholarship" idea has completely ignored and glossed over (conveniently) two very KEY facts. That being...

1. This opportunity is equally offered to the current members of the corps
  2. the doner of this "fund" requested specifically that the money be used STRICTLY for the purpose of creating a discount for the said soloist.

If people would just comprehend these two very key and IMPORTANT facts, the discussion would be over because under these two facts, the protesters have no leg to stand on. Conveniently, however, every protester has ignored, dogged and ran from addressing these two points.

Amazing, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure about that. Yes the opportunity is being offered to current members of the corps, but they weren't made aware of this until the release came out (as far as I know). Don't you think they have some entitlement to have a shot at the solo first? IMHO the second key fact that you point out has nothing to do with my argument. Sure give the money to the soloist, thats all well and good. All I'm trying to say is that this whole gesture to bring in someone that isn't in the corps already to play a solo doesn't really reflect well on what the staff thinks of the personnel they have at hand. If I was in that section, I'd be pretty peeved.

• Like 1

I'm curious as to how this plays out if the person chosen is not already in the line. From what I understand, most corps have a set number of each voice part. If the mello line is full, and they bring someone new in, does someone who's already there lose their spot (in which case, there would certainly be reason for outrage). Or is this spot more of a (dare I say it), "Little Jeffery" type of idea in that he/she is simply featured and used more like a character and not integrated into the drill per se.

I'm curious as to how this plays out if the person chosen is not already in the line. From what I understand, most corps have a set number of each voice part. If the mello line is full, and they bring someone new in, does someone who's already there lose their spot (in which case, there would certainly be reason for outrage). Or is this spot more of a (dare I say it), "Little Jeffery" type of idea in that he/she is simply featured and used more like a character and not integrated into the drill per se.

Don't know. If I had to guess it would be a character role. Even then, that's hard to speculate. That spot also has to come from somewhere. So even if it doesn't come from the Mello section, the cap is firm, so someone will be out a spot (that part is an observation, and not a flametastic remark).

I'm not so sure about that. Yes the opportunity is being offered to current members of the corps, but they weren't made aware of this until the release came out (as far as I know). Don't you think they have some entitlement to have a shot at the solo first?

Uh...I'd say they did. They've had access to the music for it and have played it in front of the staff already, have they not? If you want to get technical, they've had longer to become familliar with the solo part than any newb showing up to the next camp so they are the one's with the Advantage, not any fresh newb auditionee off the street.

I know, someone is going to say "why are they looking outside of the current line if the line is said to be already full - unless they already plan to use someone from outside"? Simple answer. If they don't find someone to fill the soloist spot from outside the current line and use someone currently in the line instead, they will open a hole in the current mello line the fill the spot. Problem solved.

I REALLY fail to see the big deal here. I'm sorry. This mohill is not a mountain.

IMHO the second key fact that you point out has nothing to do with my argument. Sure give the money to the soloist, thats all well and good. All I'm trying to say is that this whole gesture to bring in someone that isn't in the corps already to play a solo doesn't really reflect well on what the staff thinks of the personnel they have at hand. If I was in that section, I'd be pretty peeved.

Once again, failing to see the point in my first fact. What more can I do? Go eat the waffles I just burnt in my toaster, I guess. :tongue:

• Like 1

The direction of this thread can be followed and broken into two paths.

1. Those who follow the emotion of the situation and how they would feel within the situation.

2. Those who remove themselves from how they would feel emotionally and take a logical stance.

Neither one is wrong, really. It isn't a controversy, or an argument persay. It is more a viewpoint and perspective issue. I side with the emotion side, mostly because personal experience tells me that usually wins out in interpersonal situations.

If it was all as easy and straightforward as the logic presented, life would be simpler all around. The problem is that logic and the human emotion component frequently do not line up.

• Like 1