Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

I am aware an alum donated the money. I am just suggesting that some might not agree with how The Cadets are spending money, theirs or others, and may alter donations in the future. I for one have volunteered and donated to YEA in the past, and have made a conscious decision to put my time and money towards other organizations.

As is your absolute right. I continue to donate to YEA! each year, as is my choice. It is up to them how they spend the money I donate. I don't pretend to know the details about their finances, nor is the item-line detail of their budget process all that important as long as the overall organization is something I feel good about supporting.

This case is not even relevant to the overall funding of the organization as an alum donated the $ specifically for the mello scholarship.

• Like 1

I can't believe that this thread is up to 10 pages! I have witnessed some absurd discussions on DCP, but this thread is on a level of its own. There is no story here folks; the Cadets are trying to recruit a freaking horn player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure the good folks at the Cadets are quite amused by this nonsense. Talk about a non-story, I mean really. Are you kidding me!

• Like 3

I'm a firm believer that if someone has exceptional talent beyond others, they deserve to rewarded for it (including but not limited to financial rewards).

I hope you believe loyalty and work ethic are also attributes worthy of reward. That is where I begin to question the wisdom of this approach.

Someone above said that making this type of offer is a game changer. I have to agree that doing this so overtly, and at this late a stage, is sliding another yard down the slippery slope of devaluing the off season training program. In the same vein, corps have recently been found passing over their own regularly attending, fee paying alternates to fill spots in May or June with fresh talent. The more we reward talent in this manner, the less reward there is for auditioning in November, loyally attending winter camps, and paying all those fees that keep corps alive through those months. My concern is that if we slide too far down that slippery slope, we find too many prospective members opting out of winter camps.

To the defenders of this idea - if it is such a great idea to offer a $1,500 incentive and an open audition in April, why are no other world class corps doing it?

• Like 1

:doh:

I hope you believe loyalty and work ethic are also attributes worthy of reward. That is where I begin to question the wisdom of this approach.

Someone above said that making this type of offer is a game changer. I have to agree that doing this so overtly, and at this late a stage, is sliding another yard down the slippery slope of devaluing the off season training program. In the same vein, corps have recently been found passing over their own regularly attending, fee paying alternates to fill spots in May or June with fresh talent. The more we reward talent in this manner, the less reward there is for auditioning in November, loyally attending winter camps, and paying all those fees that keep corps alive through those months. My concern is that if we slide too far down that slippery slope, we find too many prospective members opting out of winter camps.

To the defenders of this idea - if it is such a great idea to offer a $1,500 incentive and an open audition in April, why are no other world class corps doing it?

:doh:

I can't believe that this thread is up to 10 pages! ...

This reply is only page three.

Posts per page is a setting configured by each user. For example, mine is set to 20 posts per page. Making this post on Page 5 ... for me.

Truth. They've been botching press releases and news articles since yea.org went live in 1996ish. Really awful.

well, a full time PR person would be great. however office staff turnover is huge which corresponds to office staff pay, which isn't huge

I can't believe that this thread is up to 10 pages! I have witnessed some absurd discussions on DCP, but this thread is on a level of its own. There is no story here folks; the Cadets are trying to recruit a freaking horn player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure the good folks at the Cadets are quite amused by this nonsense. Talk about a non-story, I mean really. Are you kidding me!

oh please. We've seen far more stupid threads on here.

In the same vein, corps have recently been found passing over their own regularly attending, fee paying alternates to fill spots in May or June with fresh talent. The more we reward talent in this manner, the less reward there is for auditioning in November, loyally attending winter camps, and paying all those fees that keep corps alive through those months. My concern is that if we slide too far down that slippery slope, we find too many prospective members opting out of winter camps.

Corps can only have 150 people. Once you get a contract you're in and they can't 'really' pull you out unless you really show that you are not improving. Because of this limit people will ALWAYS have the incentive to go to early camps and audition because that's when corps fill 95% of their ranks and the spot you are hoping to get in Novemeber/December will likely not be open in April. And if you have a lot of people that decide to wait and get that last 1 or 2 spots the competition would be even harder and the chances of getting in become even slimmer. If anyone wants to be in a corps go early and audition because chances are someone else will be willing to take that spot from you if wait.

First of all corps offer scholarships and tuition breaks to late comers all the time to fill their spots. This press release is just a mechanism used to cast a wider fishnet.

The only thing here is an alumni offering an scholarship instead of the corps saying something like "Scholarships available" or giving the late comer a cut in their tuition. ( frankly I believe that if Madison or Crown or Boston had released the same exact press release this would not have received the same heat)...

Why don't other corps do this? They do, but don't just ask the Corps, ask the alumni of the corps why they don't want to sponsor specific positions in the corps. Not a bad idea really! Past drum majors sponsoring the audition of a new drum major, horn captains sponsoring auditions for horn captains, mellophone players.. etc. if I ran a drum corps I would probably push for a campaign to have donors specifically sponsor members/positions in the corps so they can really feel like their donations are having a physical impact on members.

-To the dissenters-

Why is not okay for alumni, the corps, or anyone else to do whatever they can to get the best, most talented players no matter what month of the year it is?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

A complete slap in the face to the current mellophone section. Some of which are fine college musicians, future premier educators, and several with a performance degree partially under their belt.

I'll assume this statement got 10 green thingies because of the 2nd sentence. because the 1st sentence is just not true :)

Unfortunate this was the first response... :rolleyes:

Edited by charlie1223