hey it could have been the guy at Lewisburg

:shutup:

Fran and I have talked about this- If you announce any event, read the copy out loud before you actually read the copy publicly, and check every name, and how it's pronounced.

I can't tell you how many times we heard "Larry Hersherman".. "Larry Hershburg"..."Larry, ummm, Hersh...burgman..." etc. when Westshore was announced. It did have the effect of getting us to relax and laugh, but sheesh, I feel bad for Larry over it 30 years later.

Fran and I have talked about this- If you announce any event, read the copy out loud before you actually read the copy publicly, and check every name, and how it's pronounced.

I can't tell you how many times we heard "Larry Hersherman".. "Larry Hershburg"..."Larry, ummm, Hersh...burgman..." etc. when Westshore was announced. It did have the effect of getting us to relax and laugh, but sheesh, I feel bad for Larry over it 30 years later.

No ya don't! :devil:

By the way, thanks for all the kind comments.

And again, thank YOU to the performers.

Most of you stay clear of the "History of the Westshoremen" thread, but if you have read it- you know one thing- The more things change in the activity, the more it stays the same in a lot of ways. Difficult, broiling hot rehearsals, pushing yourself when you feel half dead, hungry and thirsty during a practice. The tediousnees of working 8 counts of drill and or music to get it exact, some people not understanding why when you get home, you collapse on your bed or couch, more or less fall into a coma, and don't move a whisker until the next day because you didn't get a lot of sleep, your're physically and emotionally exhausted, and the tank's on empty.

It's tough out there, and part of why I did it, and people do it now, is because we enjoy performing, and making people happy as well as pushing ourselves to compete at a high level as best we can.

When I write, I sometimes try to answer one big question I hear a lot at shows and see here on DCP:

"I really liked the (insert name here) a LOT, why aren't they winning!?"

There are a lot of great shows out there that don't necessarily win, but are still great to see and hear, and the performers deserve to know they're doing a great job, win or lose. This is a tough activity in that way. There are more shades of gray regarding winning here than in normal stick and ball sports and some people have difficulty understading that.

I also explained not too long ago on the Westshore thread why I write reviews, and that's part of it. I still remember Ben (Chumley, see above...), Steve Rook, and I always looking for Fred Mowbray after a contest if he was there to see how we did. Fred always was gracious, and was very fair to everyone on DCW and DCN BITD. He let us know we needed to keep pushing, that we were fine, but just needed to keep at it to go where we wanted to go. I can't write as well as Fred, but I try to encourage people like he did for us. There are times I poke a corps a lot harder then Fred would. That being said, there's no one happier than myself if you can come back next week, throw a show down and right in the audience's face and prove me wrong.

The other reason was an DCW article done around 1982 or 1983 where our corps won a big contest and the writer, who was NOT Fred, pretty much wrote about our Tymp player being a show in and unto himself, how awesome he was, and, oh, by the way, our corps won the show. I remember Bus 1 reading that article on the ride to the next contest and how unamused and honked off we were that there happened to be 119 or so other people out there that didn't seem to matter, nor did this writer care about what the heck we were doing musically. I try to make sure the people who are in the trenches in the corps know that they DO matter, and that people DO notice when they're making things happen for their corps to succeed. Judges know that every corps has a core of talented people inside it. They're looking to see what the 'average' person knows and is capable of, not just the best individuals. I try and get that across.

Thanks again- Keep working to make it happen. I'm looking forward to seeing some great performances next month!

Excellent review.Thanks :o)