I love Blue Devils!

Yea Phantom impressed me so much at Stanford I was worried they were going to win..Until BD came on that is. try to leave out statements like "wannabe winners" though. I'd like this to be a very positive thread and just ignore anyone who is just trying to get a rise.

• Like 1

I love the 4 part studio recording! That way I can send bits and pieces to friends who don't know about drum corps as a sampler. Just like my Aunt. I met her and Grandma at a show in 87 while on tour. few years ago I got her email from my brother and she told me she still has the T-shirt i got her and was going to finals in Pasadena. I had no idea she had been following it for all these years!

Wait, there is a 4 part studio recording? I've never heard of this. That is probably my third favorite show of all time, and my favorite BD show ever.

Aww man, 2000 is sooooooo great. I listen to it all the time. That trumpet section was one of the best I've heard, ever. Great writing all around. Too bad the drumline wasn't on par.

I'm not sure I would want a rehash- it would probably just be too different and they would mess up all of my favorite moments.

Well, the drumline was kind of a fluke, given the circumstances of Finals week for them. They were doing pretty well all season leading up to that week.

I think maybe use some of the music, and add some of his other film music? I think Bernard Hermann could supply music to all of the Top 12, and all the shows would be different and amazing.

As long as they include the false ending, I would be down for it. Plus, "Scene d'Amour" from Vertigo is one of the best ballads ever.

Well some people say it's the Dynasty snares that exposed so much dirt but I think it's also in part to the super tight tuning BD has always had.

The studio recording takes 4 sections of the show as separate tracks which can suck if you want to just hear the whole thing but it was a tribute to the State of the Art recording from 1980 that BD and SCV did at the Concord Pavilion.

I think from that year on into the next 7 years was it that BD had a lot of trouble with drumlines? and all those years they played Dynasty. I loved the tenors but hated the snare sound Basses on the other hand always sound good when BD tunes them. (it's an Odello thing)

Well some people say it's the Dynasty snares that exposed so much dirt but I think it's also in part to the super tight tuning BD has always had.

The studio recording takes 4 sections of the show as separate tracks which can suck if you want to just hear the whole thing but it was a tribute to the State of the Art recording from 1980 that BD and SCV did at the Concord Pavilion.

I think from that year on into the next 7 years was it that BD had a lot of trouble with drumlines? and all those years they played Dynasty. I loved the tenors but hated the snare sound Basses on the other hand always sound good when BD tunes them. (it's an Odello thing)

I have the original State of the Art CD, but can't ever find the 2000 version. Do you have a copy you might be willing to send to another California corps fan?

I think their problem with percussion that year really was more to the circumstances surrounding Finals week, with losing and then re-gaining a member that week, and having re-written the book and drill for one less person, then having that person show up to Finals.

I thought they won drums a couple of times after 2000? Even while on Dynasty. But I'm a horn guy, so can never really tell, unless a drumline is really good or really bad.

Well no they were having phasing problems at their home show so it could have been what was holding them back?

Their parts are so hard though then the visual people have them doing stuff all over and that is what happens. I'm sure that is the case with just about any corps though.

As much as I also like Jersey Surf's show this year, and hope they continue to do shows like the one they are doing this year, if it came down to choosing between all corps doing a Jersey Surf style show and a BD style show, I would choose a BD style show no question.

I definitely wouldn't, no question.

Different strokes for different folks.

BTW, I thought it would have been really cool if they'd put on the old Blue Devils jackets with the ruffled shirts and cumberbund.

Well no they were having phasing problems at their home show so it could have been what was holding them back?

Their parts are so hard though then the visual people have them doing stuff all over and that is what happens. I'm sure that is the case with just about any corps though.

Oh, okay. I didn't know what drum corps was at that point, so have only been able to go off stories from people who marched that year, and the recaps I find online. They did have crazy hard drill that year, in both the horns and drums. That doppler effect section in the opener was so cool. If they could have cleaned the drums and a few of the bigger forms up, they could have taken it, or pushed a three-way tie.