Sign in to follow this  
Grenadier

Alumni Horn Lines - Which bugles

What bugles. are the Alumni corps playing.  Do different corps use different instruments.   I was a child of the 60's an played a single valve with rotary.  Just curious.

Grenadier

I think that most Alumni use the instruments used in the past, i.e. G bugles, whatever they can "drum" up (excuse the bad pun).  I know that Les Diplomates use modern instruments (Bb and F), with an Eb tuba thrown in for good measure. Also they have a sax.  Preston Scout House also use Bb/F instruments, but, then, that's what they used BITD.

The Westshoremen Alumni used whatever horns we could scrounge both in G and B Flat. Many of the Lead upper brass used their pro Trumpets. There was some discussion at one point regarding using a feature Trombone.

Keep in mind we were always looking at doing something different- we even had a rhythm section play with us at one point. Great moment.

Cabs Alumni is all G. For the most everyone is on 3 valve but that changes from season to season as membership changes. We occasionally will have a 2 valve or two in the line but that's because that's what that person has or likes.

• Like 2

Hamburg Kingsmen Alumni uses G Bugles (both 3 and 2 Valve).

Many of the Alumni corps I've been familiar with (including mine) allowed members to bring and perform on their own horns if they could perform on them.

SCV Alumni, for example, had people on everything - some 2-valve Gs, some 3-valve, and of course lots of Bb horns.