"Drum Corps Died - 1971"

The following was originally posted on a DCI forum:

BOBSMYTH, DCP Veteran - Posts: 998 - Joined: 18-August 05

From Chicago wrote:

"Drum Corps died in 1971. They had T-shirts made and everything."

Bob

Former Marching Member - a long time ago.

Fan - ever since.

I'm surprised and gratified that some still remember this message-t-shirt from thirty-nine years ago. It was black with white lettering and had an illustration of a clown dancing on an upright gravestone marked with the classic "R.I.P." inscription. The lettering, as I recall, read "Drum Corps Died - 1971".

The creator and talented artist was Bill Bastian of Kenosha WI who was a lead soprano for the just-disbanded OLHR Queensmen. Bill was between jobs at the time and ran off a quantity of these t-shirts to turn a buck off the then-widepread dismay over the newly non-traditional shows that the powers-that-then-were had been promoting as "total programs", i.e. a clown capering about on the field during the Madison Scouts competitive offering and, what was it again, Alice in Wonderland with the Cavaliers?

(Some years ago, Bill had said he had no recall of doing those shirts.)

Who still has one of those prophetic t-shirts, and could we see a photo of it? Thanks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Chicago wrote:

Bob

Fan - ever since.

I'm surprised and gratified that some still remember this message-t-shirt from thirty-nine years ago. It was black with white lettering and had an illustration of a clown dancing on an upright gravestone marked with the classic "R.I.P." inscription. The lettering, as I recall, read "Drum Corps Died - 1971".

The creator and talented artist was Bill Bastian of Kenosha WI who was a lead soprano for the just-disbanded OLHR Queensmen. Bill was between jobs at the time and ran off a quantity of these t-shirts to turn a buck off the then-widepread dismay over the newly non-traditional shows that the powers-that-then-were had been promoting as "total programs", i.e. a clown capering about on the field during the Madison Scouts competitive offering and, what was it again, Alice in Wonderland with the Cavaliers?

(Some years ago, Bill had said he had no recall of doing those shirts.)

Who still has one of those prophetic t-shirts, and could we see a photo of it? Thanks.

Sounds like a G7

The white rabbit was MY favorite, I didn't care for the ringmaster.

Sorry, no T shirts as they faded and frayed over the years. I do, however, have items that endured the test of time, buttons and patches, including one that says 'I'm a Drum Corps Nut!' I'll take full responsibility. In 1971, our guard wanted to spin during a standstill 'cause they didn't like standing still. So I let them. Guard captains had clout ;-) Here's the link to the summer of '71 thread http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2118287

QUOTE (Hup234 @ Aug 10 2010, 12:16 PM)

From Chicago wrote:

Bob

Fan - ever since.

The Cavaliers did the circus show in 1971 IIRC . It did not go over very well.

The Cavaliers did the circus show in 1971 IIRC . It did not go over very well.

A circus production number, yes...it was the "out-of-concert" for oldtimers like you and me, Steve ...LOL... not the entire show. The rest of their show that year, IMO, was pretty much standard-fare drum corps for that era.

My favorite part of their show that year was their "Eleanor Rigby" concert tune.

The Madison Scouts that year did the Alice in Wonderland/Disney/children's fantasy stuff. More of a "total show" idea... again, IMO.

I can't believe that I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast some days... but I can remember drum corps stuff from nearly 40 years ago. :tongue:

Yes, they both totaled their show that year. :worthy: (Rigby was good)

I remember talking with Paul L., (Cavies visuals at the time and a good guy) after World Open grousing about how the field "M&M" judges (heh, another geriatric term there) were ticking (one more) fingers. "FINGERS", he yells. "They were ticking FINGERS on the FLAG POLES, for cryin' out loud." The thought I had was "Welcome to the East"

Hey,

At least you remember you had breakfast. :tongue:

Edit: spelling.....

Edited by Mellofello01

Yes, they both totaled their show that year. :worthy: (Rigby was good)

Hey,

At least you remember you had breakfast. :worthy:

I'll get back to you on that. :tongue:

:tongue:

BTW, 1971 was the first year 27th played "Danny Boy".

Edited by Mellofello01