Which Open Class Corps Will Make Semi Finals?

With a total of 25 slots in Semi Finals, three Open Class corps are guaranteed to make it in. It is also possible, and even likely, more than that will make it. But how many?

So, which Open Class corps do you think will make it to the Friday show and which World Class corps do you think will not make it?

I think Blue Devils B, Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets and 7th Regiment are in. I think Genesis will be the next in with Pioneer falling out from World Class. I wouldn't be surprised if that is it this year, with one fewer Open Class corps making it in compared to last year but it is possible that either Spartans or Legends may edge ahead of Jersey Surf...it will be close! I think Cascades will nab a spot in Semi's.

Well, here are the results of head-to-head competitions since July 1:

• Surf have not to lost to any Open Corps, beating 7th Regiment (3), Spartans (3), Genesis (3), Legends (4), Music City (4)
  • Cascades have not to lost to any Open Corps, beating Genesis (1) [they have not faced any other top Open Class corps]
  • Pioneer have lost to Genesis the last 5 out of 7 times; lost to Legends the last 3 out of 4 times; lost to Music City that last 2 out of 4 meetings

I therefore think there will be 4 Open Class corps playing Friday Night.

Edited by Eleran

On July 1, Mandarins were ahead of BDB and SCVC by 2.3. and 3.1 points, respectively.

On July 18, Mandarins were ahead of Cascades by 5.3, of Surf by 5.9, Pioneer by 11.7--and Genesis by 8.1.

On July 5, Surf led 7th Regiment by 3.7.

Make of those facts what you will.

For the fun of it, and for the few of us that come to the Open Class forums, I'll take this a bit further. For the Open Class Corps you think will make it to Semi-Finals, what place will they get and what World Class corps will they pass?

I think it will look like this:

13. Troopers

14. Colts

15. The Academy

16. Spirit of Atlanta

17. Mandarins

18. Oregon Crusaders

19. Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets

20. Blue Devils B

21. Pacific Crest

22. Cascades

23. 7th Regiment

24. Genesis

25. Jersey Surf

We'll have a much better idea by the end of this Saturday night how BDB and VC compare to the rest of the Open field, but for now, I foresee something more like this:

19. Vanguard Cadets

20. Blue Devils B

21. Pacific Crest

22. Jersey Surf

23. Cascades

24. 7th Regiment

25. Genesis

13:Troopers

14: Colts

15: The Academy

16: Spirit of Atlanta

17: Oregon Crusaders

18: Mandarins

19: Blue Devils B

20: Pacific Crest

21: Cascades

22: Vanguard Cadets

23: Jersey Surf

24: Genesis

25: Pioneer

We're about to find out starting tonight, Music City, Legends, Vanguard Cadets, and Blue Devils B have been dormant from competition for awhile now, and I'd bet they weren't enjoying their summer relaxing. 7th Regiment and Spartans for that matter are the real deal.

So 3 will make Semifinals by default. Vanguard Cadets and Blue Devils B are a shoe in, at least in my opinion. Seeing both their shows early on it was pretty apparent that again after their little Cali tour in June, they'd spend a few weeks really cleaning and finishing their additions, do their little SoCal championships in July, and spend a few weeks more doing that. They're World Class, that's no question. Especially after last year. So that leaves these that I'd say have shown they're Semifinals worthy:

Genesis

Legends

Music City

7th Regiment

Spartans

In World Class, Music City, Genesis, and Legends have quite frankly put the beating on Pioneer a few times. Legends have 4 pointed them and the other two have at least 3 pointed them. Given, I think Pioneer has a more difficult show, but it's VERY dirty right now. Their semis chances are looking a little bleak. Better show, better performance levels, but the Open Corps have shows that are pretty tailored to where they are talent wise, and they're performing them VERY well. Pioneer depends on how much they can clean and where they'll place.

Jersey Surf, we'll see. I think again, it depends on how they clean. It's a really fun show, but there's some open shows that I think are a lot more complex, and in the end, could overtake them. Visual design is pretty concerning (at least to me).

Cascades......I think are safe. I think their show has enough difficulty and will clean. I think it's appropriate for where they are and has enough depth for the long run.

If I had to guess, I'd say:

20) Vanguard Cadets

21) Blue Devils B

22) Cascades

23) Genesis

24) Jersey Surf

25) Legends

26) 7th Regiment

27) Music City

28) Spartans

29) Pioneer

30) Gold

31) Jubal

32) Coastal Surge

33) Colt Cadets

34) River City Rhythm

35) Raiders

36) Les Stentors

37) Blue Saints

38) Racine Scouts

Unknowns are the two other international corps.

Edited by DrumManTx