Since no one elce wants to review the show, I will, so please remember I am a member of the Govenaires.

First on the field from St.Peter Mn. .....The Govenaires (crowed goes wild :P )

It was our 2ed show, and we had home field advantage. The stands were packed from side to side and if you have never been to Mankato State before, it's the best small stadium in the USofA. The main reason the Govies like that stadium is because the crowd in on top of the field,and because of our size, we need all the help we can get. This year not only myself, but a few more DM's directed from the stands, when is the last time you saw the DM from SCV and Madison do the show (field show, not a concert) in the stands???????

Anywho, it's was lots of fun and the crowd loved it.

I only saw one corps, but I would have to say we looked good for being 80 years old.

Next up was retreat, that is always a good time. As a DM you get to meet and greet all the other DM's and talk some smack, and crack a few jokes as well, ahh ggod times :ph34r: We all walked out to the beat of my almamater (sp?) the Scouts layed down their street beat and we all strolled on out and took our place on the 50(need more tenor parts), and both the Madison and SCV horn lines lined up behind us and waited to unload on the DCI version of America.

I could tell that this was no seasoned drum corps crowd in 2 ways. First, the crowd stayed for scores, second, no one boooooed when the Scouts took last (Div 1). I will not soon forget the blank look on the crowd and the slightly less then a golf clap the Scouts got that night. People in Mankato love the Scouts, no matter what the score, so later on after Madison and SCV played America together, which was realy good, the Scouts did do the encore, and drum corps when on.

Later that night I ran into some old friend and made some new ones. About half the Govies made their way to Patrick's where we were met by some "Choppers", some judges, and later on by the staff of Spirit. We talked, smiled, laphed, drank ate, and what ever drum corps people do when they get a chance to relax.

It was another great "Thunder of Drums", and if you ever get the chance, try to make up some day, you will be a better person because of it.

Feel free to add to my review, but, thats what I saw b**bs

John Mayer

DM, bus driver, dad

John, I think you were pointing at me

Picture037copy.jpg

Alright here is my 2 cents.

After the govies were done (which we rocked), I saw chops from the side (their show looked okay to me) after that I got to my seat (yes I was in the show and still bought a ticket) 50 yard line 2nd row down from the box. here is what I saw:

Pacific Crest: Comes out ba##s to the wall with Viva Las Vegas. the trumpets were overpowering in the best way possible. It was great. I am not sure if they got new uniforms but what they have is awsome (black with a teal/tourqoise trangle in there somewhere) but the horns look really nice againts the unis. The only problem with the show is the occasional talking over the corps with amplification (stop that, It's distracting and adds no value) other than that good show.

Southwind: Nice show, really suprised me it was the cleanest show I think I ever seen out of them. Lots of energy and good visual stuff. I don't remember what the are playing though.

Intermission (buy more Govie Stuff)

Spirit: Not sure if I like the new unis, but hey you gotta change your look every now and again. I really don't remember much about their show. I remember It being a good show, but nothing to write home about. Spirit has always been a solid corps in my mind and they did nothing to change my opinion of that.

Scouts: I like the music. The visual was the worst of the night. I don't think I saw one straight file thye whole show. They did a lot of neat half flor-de-leaves (sp?), but it wasn't the best stadium to pick up on if it was clean from all angles. Thay have alot of neat ideas thay have good music, Cashmire was cool, but the visual staff must have their heads somewhere esle, because the corps dosen't seeem to understand where they are marching to or from or even who to guide to. the good news is that Mankato crowd doesn't care what the scouts do as long as they show up.

Vangaurd: Good show, Solid but I doo think it was an off night for them, a snare dropped a stick and had to pick it up. someone lost a shoe and everybody marched around on it for a while, I just saw a lot of minor mental errors on the kids part, (stillwater looked better) The show is nice I don't know where they will end up, but they've got a fan in me.

I wish all the corps the best of luck, and remember these are only the thoughts of one man.

This year not only myself, but a few more DM's directed from the stands, when is the last time you saw the DM from SCV and Madison do the show (field show, not a concert) in the stands???????

I'll vouch for his conducting in the stands!!! He marched on my leg...

JohnMayerGovies.jpg<=== my view

b**bs :D :rolleyes:

Southwind: Nice show, really suprised me it was the cleanest show I think I ever seen out of them. Lots of energy and good visual stuff. I don't remember what the are playing though..

the show is called "In The Loop", it is all original music from the Southwind staff. glad you enjoyed it. :)

I don't think it will be ready for the Govie show on Aug 19, but will be for 2008. Check it out here GAC take a look at the webcam. They say it will be ready for football Sept 8 And YES!! the latest greatest artificial turf.

This place is going to be AWESOME!!!!!

Spirit: Not sure if I like the new unis, but hey you gotta change your look every now and again.

I disagree. Great organizations don't change their look. The Cavaliers and Cadets look like the Cavaliers and Cadets year-in, year-out. The Madison Scouts are on like their fourth uniform in six years, and they're a mess.