Phantom Regiment and the Visual Department...

what style do they use now? it looks similar to the blue devil technique

That seems like a fair assessment from what I've seen, but I aged-out before the new crew came in. You'd have to ask a member that marched between 05-present what the current style is.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, IMO there's no way in hell they should have won GE Visual last year, just like there's no way in hell Cavies should have won (over Phantom) GE Music. That made no sense to me. Phantom's musical design last year was much superior to the Cavies and Cavies visual design was much superior to everyone. They both executed so darn well - I just don't understand those two judges.

Ordering....

QTY Description Cost Size

(1) Green DCI Judges Polo Shirt $24 TBD

(1) Pair Khaki Dockers $42 TBD

Slated for pickup 3-5 business days.

Will that be Visa or MasterCard?

Edited by Tom Brace

It might have something to do with the fact that former members lurking around DCP have no idea what's going on internally with the staff. Almost everyone responding here is responding with their impression of what's happening or what they've heard from a friend of a friend of a brass tech's sister-in-law.

I'm on the board, the program coordinator is one of my good friends, etc., etc. -- and I don't know the details of what goes on with the staff. I know a lot of things, but I certainly don't know everything. How in the world would someone on DCP know the details?! In many cases, as a personnel matter, it's simply none of anyone's business.

I will respond to a couple silly things I read, though:

-- Dan Farrell is the driving force behind PR's competitive resurgence the past 5 years. He hired the staff, he creates the schedules, he manages the design and instructional staff, he makes the final decisions. Without Dan as program coordinator, it's unlikely that PR would be in the top 6 right now.

-- I bristle at the suggestion that the brass staff is just holding down the fort while J.D. is in Europe. Kevin Rabon has been the brass caption head for, I believe, four years now. He is extremely capable as our the other terrific members of the brass staff. Taylor Criswell, Mason Daffinee, et al, are very good at their jobs.

-- Staff turnover has happened for a variety of reasons. Some people were fired, some quit, some simply moved on with their lives.

(By the way -- "I" typed that) and it was meant as a COMPLIMENT that Regiment's Brass staff IS capable even when the Arranger is away ! No disrespect intended - just stating that I feel everything IS (REPEAT "IS) under control - no matter what people say/think - and yes, I am entitled to MY opiniion and of copurse, it IS just that!

(By the way -- "I" typed that) and it was meant as a COMPLIMENT that Regiment's Brass staff IS capable even when the Arranger is away ! No disrespect intended - just stating that I feel everything IS (REPEAT "IS) under control - no matter what people say/think - and yes, I am entitled to MY opiniion and of copurse, it IS just that![/b]

Oh and just another clarification: I WAS NOT implying anything directly towards The Regiment Board. Directors or staff -- the comparison is what is "OFTEN" seen in some entities, drum corps included, and certainly not pointing the finger at anyone in/with or associated with Reggiment, but how some people view their inner workings. Mr. Newell is correct in stating some people don't know anything - but "I" do know what is often 'percieved' be it true/untrue. My stating that I think Regiment's issue is that NO ONE REALLY knows the chain of command, and there fore think that "it's prbably just like Corps B way back in 1963" etc, etc. My comparriosn was merely what I see today in the Fortune 500 world as it somethimes rears it's ugly head in activities such as drum corps as well -- ill ercieved perception.

Again -- THAT was my ONLY comparrison. AGAIN, I was not implying or insinuating that my comments in my earlier post were those of Phantom regiment or it's people, but an assertation of how some people think.

There is no bigger fan pf the Regiment than me, and I respect wholeheartedly Dan Farrell, Greg Newell, Dan Richardson and so many others who give so selfless ly to those kids (and staff) year after year.

Amen ---- "May the Power of the Drum Corps God Compell you............... "

It might have something to do with the fact that former members lurking around DCP have no idea what's going on internally with the staff. Almost everyone responding here is responding with their impression of what's happening or what they've heard from a friend of a friend of a brass tech's sister-in-law.

I'm on the board, the program coordinator is one of my good friends, etc., etc. -- and I don't know the details of what goes on with the staff. I know a lot of things, but I certainly don't know everything. How in the world would someone on DCP know the details?! In many cases, as a personnel matter, it's simply none of anyone's business.

I will respond to a couple silly things I read, though:

-- Dan Farrell is the driving force behind PR's competitive resurgence the past 5 years. He hired the staff, he creates the schedules, he manages the design and instructional staff, he makes the final decisions. Without Dan as program coordinator, it's unlikely that PR would be in the top 6 right now.

-- I bristle at the suggestion that the brass staff is just holding down the fort while J.D. is in Europe. Kevin Rabon has been the brass caption head for, I believe, four years now. He is extremely capable as our the other terrific members of the brass staff. Taylor Criswell, Mason Daffinee, et al, are very good at their jobs.

-- Staff turnover has happened for a variety of reasons. Some people were fired, some quit, some simply moved on with their lives.

Greg, I agree with you and I hope that my post wasn't read in a negative tone. While I think we will both agree that there were some rough years, I don't have any idea of what happened behind the scenes. Your assessment about Dan Farrell is spot on, as well as Rabon and other current staff members. As I mentioned in my initial post, I am very impressed with the current state of the organization and the direction it has taken.

DG

Their latest captions scores:

Total Visual - 24.95 (tied for 6th)

-Visual Performance - 17.1 (1st)

-Visual Ensemble - 16.5 (tied for 7th)

-Visual Colorguard - 16.3 (7th)

General Effect - Visual - 17.1 (3rd)

Like I said, those kids are hardcore, but they're just being held back by simplistic drill.

If you check your history book, however, you'll notice that in the past two years, Phantom's guard has started slow. They generally sit between 4th and 7th until the second or third week of July. Adam then implements the costumes and makes a few changes. Suddenly they are a top four guard. Jamey, Dwight, Jay, Adam, etc. are all very good at their jobs. Phantom's feet are great. Now they'll tweak a few things drill wise and start worrying about the overall pictures. However, if your feet suck, it really shouldn't matter if the picture clicks because you look awful getting there. I think they know what they are doing to continue the visual resurrgence of the corps.

I think that some of this apparent angst comes from those who lament that Regiment hasn't won a sole championship and there is some angst about what some have pointed out as the apparent weak link in the Regiment chain.

I don't see it that way. I believe a championship is within grasp where back in the post '96 year, it appeared to be located on a distant planet.

I for one have been thrilled to see the resurgence of this corps over this decade. I know even better things are still to come. It's a great year for drum corps and the top 8 seem to be at their best. To be considered a serious contender in this group is no small feat.

Sometimes patience is hardest when something eluding you is so close. I remember seeing the '06 show at Indy and then at Finals....wow....it was like a different whole show. I asked my son sitting next to me where those feet came from because they weren't part of the corps in Indy. They looked real good visually....real good.

Well, THAT was interesting. Apparently, what I wrote came across as a "diss" to someone at Regiment, because I got a very nasty email from someone who is a higher-up on staff.

I guess lost in all this is that I have been a staunch supporter of the Regiment's visual techniques, particularly since Jamey and the Emmert brothers took over...I think most people who are on here will agree that I have defended them time and time again, so this email was very surprising.

Again, to clarify: At no point in this post or in general have I criticized the Phantom Regiment's current staff (visual or otherwise). My point in this post was to get the ball rolling on DISCUSSION of why Regiment is perceived the way they are. I wanted members' perspectives on their visual shows, since we are spread out from at least one 1982 vet that I am aware of, to very recent members of Regiment. I thought that this thread would be about how we learned our drill and how visual in general has changed over the years. I certainly did not mean to convey the idea that I was not supportive or that I was complaining -- I was NOT.

I am very disappointed in this email, and unfortunately I am out of town, so I can only check my email, I cannot respond to it right now, but...if you're reading this, I hope you understand that there has never been negative intent. Frankly, I think you owe me an apology for that nasty email, dude.

Anyhow...again, sorry if things were perceived differently than they were intended.

Sheesh.