Some Allentown Frustration

Then why fill the back of the sheet with BOX criteria? Why put a point scale based on that criteria? How does your argument hold weight on finals night when 4-7 (or more) corps have a legitimate shot of maxing out their shows and deserving of HIGH Box 5 numbers? Rank and rate has to .. and should go OUT the window. Whether my concerns are confirmed this year or not .. the day is coming when you do have an excessive number of elite corps who have the design and performance at winning levels. Then what do you do? Add a tick caption?

First: you should become a judge then!

Second: are you suggesting DCI go back to the "tic" system? How will that work with 2 judges scoring inconsistently?

third: box criteria are generally geared toward the middle of the box. Ranking and rating come into play to discern who did the criteria at mid-level, low-level, or above level. It comes down to: is the judge placing more emphasis on some criteria more than others? Are the expectations for one group higher than for another? Are the subcaptions receiving equal attention or is one subcaption receiving more attention?

And realistically, subcaptions scores should not be in perfect alignment (all corps receive .2 difference between subcaptions). That's considered to be poor judgment in most cases. Of course, at an elite level, it may happen. but if it's the same difference among all groups, that is most likely a major problem with judging.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to read this posting. All is fine until the results impact a Corps you love then it's a whole differnet story.

The scores were higher Saturday in Allentown vs. Friday, the Corps on Saturday had an extra day to practice, my dog ate my homework.

I still say as of July 5th the percussion judge is on the field instead of in the stands and perhaps, in some cases, things don't look so good up close!

or maybe I am wrong.

Right on. Ultimately everyone thinks their corps should be winning and some immature or inexperienced people will keep hunting till they find something malicious to prove they are right. It's clear that Crown is in fact the best corps, and the judges are all in it together to keep them down. These two inconsistent scores prove exactly that!!

I really would hope that you aren't referring to me in those adjectives, the likeness of which I certainly am not. Just so you do know I marched as an age out in 2000 and am currently serving the worlds finest air force.

I do not think that I have been over the top in this post. I just call what I see. Never did I ever say that I was certain or hell bent on the idea that that particular judge was definitely out to harm crown. I simply provided stats and and the effects of those stats had on a corp. I did push a slight agenda, but I did so to push for more analysis and opinions in a respectful way.

I'm done with the topic though. It was an interesting thread.

Edited by AFcorpsvette

I really would hope that you aren't referring to me in those adjectives, the likeness of which I certainly am not. Just so you do know I marched as an age out in 2000 and am currently serving the worlds finest air force.

I do not think that I have been over the top in this post. I just call what I see. Never did I ever say that I was certain or hell bent on the idea that that particular judge was definitely out to harm crown. I simply provided stats and and the effects of those stats had on a corp. I did push a slight agenda, but I did so to push for more analysis and opinions in a respectful way.

Be it you or anybody else, picking apart numbers and pushing "slight agendas" will not get your favorite corps to win. I get frustrated by people fighting the judges opinion, as if they would rather be out there doing the scoring instead.

I'm still going to order you a green DCI polo and a pair of khaki Dockers.

And a nifty pocket tape recorder to talk into.

Be it you or anybody else, picking apart numbers and pushing "slight agendas" will not get your favorite corps to win. I get frustrated by people fighting the judges opinion, as if they would rather be out there doing the scoring instead.

Thanks for reading my post as to my actual reason for pushing an agenda instead of making one up in its place. You get frustrated? I get frustrated by people fighting any intelligent analysis that spreads beyond the realms of simply accepting anything thrown at you by anyone with any power. (IE, judges)

Its simple conversation and thought provoking discussion. If it bothers you that bad then avoid the post. Don't start spewing about how you know how everyone is by throwing out adjectives. It makes you look weak in arguments.

I'm still going to order you a green DCI polo and a pair of khaki Dockers.

And a nifty pocket tape recorder to talk into.

That actually would be really fun Tom. Hook me up:)

Thanks for reading my post as to my actual reason for pushing an agenda instead of making one up in its place. You get frustrated? I get frustrated by people fighting any intelligent analysis that spreads beyond the realms of simply accepting anything thrown at you by anyone with any power. (IE, judges)

Its simple conversation and thought provoking discussion. If it bothers you that bad then avoid the post. Don't start spewing about how you know how everyone is by throwing out adjectives. It makes you look weak in arguments.

But you were done with this thread...so now you're done...or are you done being done...or are you just starting to be done?

But you were done with this thread...so now you're done...or are you done being done...or are you just starting to be done?

I'm done with the original subject matter. If people would like to continue the name calling/stereotyping game then sure I have a response for that.