How do you feel about Breaking Ranks?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody knows where I took the end of my post from, I'll give them a prize of some sort.

I know!

It could only be from "Stuart", a song by Chester County's finest, the Dead Milkmen.

Did you a get a letter in the mail a few days later from Pueblo, Colorado?

Watching Mork and Mindy on Channel 57...

I'm from a different era, the sixties junior corps. Bodies in uniform were a premium.

By golly, if you broke our ranks, you would never see your old corps again. Before you knew what happened your uniform would be changed and you'd be in our formation... Never to see family or friends again.

I don’t know which is most disturbing; your comparing a drum corps to a bikers, cutting people off in traffic to cutting people off on the sidewalk, your almost justification of a violent attack that would led to brain damage (blaming the victim ie: she was asking for it)

So if I break ranks of a drum corps I should expect a wrench to my head and some brain damage because the kids in corps are too stupid to think about the consequences of their actions and how it might effect their lives, their corps and DCI – and you are cool with that?

Kids today, and these band kids are often sold to me as mature, responsible and the leaders and the more I interact with them, the more horrified I am. Now why am I to support drum corps kids if they promote such idiocy or their staff promotes it?

What's your problem with band kids?!

Try to break the ranks of the ANAHEIM KINGSMEN COLOUR GUARD. :laugh:

If what I heard about them in the 70's is true....I wouldn't try it for any money !!!

I have more respect for any drum corps to do this !!!! :doh:

This is one rule that should be taught in all corps AND marching bands, but there is always one kid who wants to try it !!

Wow, I am very amazed and pleased that this tradition has lasted all of this time. As a member of that color guard I will say that we did enforce the no breaking ranks rule very strictly although I doubt we ever really hurt anyone as rumor may have it. Usually all it takes is a stern look and putting something, like a rifle or arm, in their way to stop someone.

So, for the last time...is it true that the Kingsmen color guard enforced ranks by sticking a rifle up where the sun don't shine? :doh:

Naw, I'm just kiddin'. Let's have cake.

cake-8inch.jpg

Someone asked what prompted this thread was there an incident?

Well, I've witnessed many incidents throughout the decades. A slight to do

recently and so, I decided to ask a more generalized type question because I was

curious to see what the climate on this topic is out there these days.

I've now read some very interesting? stuff here on DCP in particular between the Jr. side and the Sr.

side.

Now, here's a more specific approach:

If a guy from Corps Z walks up to a bari guy in Corps Y (which is all lined up

and set to go) and asks nicely if he can break ranks... and the bari says,

"Please don't break our ranks". Now, why should anyone in that close area that

saw / heard it have any issue here? Corps Z was respectful in asking. Corps Y

was polite, yet stern in responding and standing up for / respecting his own

Corps' Values / Training.

Yes, there were some that took issue with this and thought that Corps Y was

being Elitist or some such thing. I, on the other hand, didn't feel that way.

So, then I got to wondering what the *general* feel / regard for the whole

breaking of ranks was out there today.

and yet you have some folks here defending their 'tradition' by blocking the offender with their instrument, going so far as to do a 'horns up', putting that instrument in harm's way and potentially causing injury to the offender.

something's not right with your argument.

There is plenty right with my argument. I can't control the fact that you can't understand it.

I do not want someone running through my ranks while my drums are on me or on the ground, which could cause harm to the instrument, to that person, or even to myself. My corps has custom Yamaha marching percussion. It's way more expensive than your typical Yamaha marching percussion. The finish is a red sparkle lacquer that can easily be chipped or scratched. It is my duty to keep that instrument in perfect condition. I will not let someone break the percussion sections ranks to protect the instruments. I would never fall back on violence to keep someone from breaking the ranks, that's just absurd. However, I would ask politely that they don't break the ranks for my safety, the safety of the instrument and even themselves.

2004 Southwind and troopers were lined up next to each other getting ready to on for retreat at San Antonio. we are lined up through the bowels of the alamo dome.... we are at parade rest. a top 6 STAFF came through and wanted to cut through our lines. when we silently didn't let them and when we didn't they started #####ing.... in my head though i thought to myself it doesn't matter if we (southwind) lets them through.... because there is no way in HECK the troopers were gonna let that happen. But to answer the question.... ranks are sacred to every member of southwind...... dems fighting actions.

Edited by SWEuph04