How do you feel about Breaking Ranks?

Man, we marching bandos are sure some tough characters. I'm sure we wouldn't be picking fights and getting viloent with the public that pays to see us if we didn't have 134 other guys there to back us up. Really brave.

Try this tough guys....wear your little hats and feathers and sequence down a dark alley in Allentown at 2 AM by yourself and see if you're as bad ### and see where your traditions get you.

Get some perspective on life and figure out what's REALLY important.

In all honesty, the ranks tradition should have nothing to do with being "bad ###". Some people mistakenly make it their job to act like they are bad ###, but those people are misinformed. Tradition and Respect is definitely what I would call it. Not insecurity. Breaking ranks is something, that in the old days, just wasn't done. It isn't about being elitist, uppity, or overbearing; it just was avoided. A drum and bugle corps is really a fraternity with a very special kind of bond. The 134 people there for us, the "little hats and feathers", and even the fans themselves, are why these traditions exist. We aren't going to stop crime, we aren't the mob, but respect our traditions unless it's an absolute emergency. Without our history, Drum Corps loses its identity, and I don't think any of us wants that. If you do, you are in the wrong activity.

Being violent isn't important, in fact it's uncalled for. However, upholding tradition and teaching RESPECT of traditions is an important value in Drum Corps. Some people take it to far, but many of us don't.

Edited by Jonnytuba

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1997, DCI-AD finals at Hershey Park. We are waiting to go on the field, the rival Crossmen are coming off. We were backed up and inorder for the X-Men to get off the field quickly a show coordinator asked us if we would let them through. That was not going to happen. The man started to get frustrated and asked again. Once again we ignored him and just stood there. He then yelled, "This isn't ####### Boston Crusaders 1975, let them through!!!" We did not. We eventually marched out of the way and then Crossmen were allowed to leave.

OK...I know I'm jumping in at the end of a long topic.

But, I'm in favor of breaking ranks. I mean...I'm in favor of breaking plates. And glasses...drinking glasses. Especially when I'm mad.

I'm sure this has been said.

1. Breaking ranks is a sign of disrespect.

2. Most new fans have no idea what this means.

3. And corps who don't properly close in their ranks should be fined. I mean it...get out the checkbook. It's not fair when the drumline is 100 yards behind the corps proper. Tighten it up...then get in people's face about breaking ranks, otherwise it's just not proper.

It's not dumb, It is called TRADITION and RESPECT!!

thats fine.. but it's not like i was purposely disrespecting the crossmen... I would do it again if i had to, but not out of disrespect.

Tradition... Drum Corps... talk to george hopkins on that one.

When each member is responsible for their own instrument they take pride in that instrument and want it kept in better condition than they got it. Some of these new Yamaha drums you see are custom jobs that cost more than your typical stock Yamaha marching drums. What if you ran through, knocked one over and some how it was damaged? Would you still be saying "it's so dumb. It's like a corps is insecure or something"?

Here is another way of putting it. What happens if you run through the drums like you did, you trip and fall, and land so hard you get injured? What are you going to be saying then? The same idiotic, moronic, sophomoric comment you managed to spew from your mouth?

ok hold on for a second, i didn't RUN through anyones drum, i carefully stepped over the drums very slowly. I never said i was running. But yeah if someone was running.... in UNIFORM... another no-no.... then that is disrespectful.

All this junk about respect and tradition, so does that mean that I can break ranks freely of the corps that use narration because they obviously don’t respect the tradition of drum corps

To me, those corps should be fair game for breaking ranks….blabbing bad beat poetry, yowza and about their humiliations and struggles as a band dork in the midst of puberty displays zero respect for the tradition of drum corps -so why should they get it back?

All this junk about respect and tradition, so does that mean that I can break ranks freely of the corps that use narration because they obviously don’t respect the tradition of drum corps

To me, those corps should be fair game for breaking ranks….blabbing bad beat poetry, yowza and about their humiliations and struggles as a band dork in the midst of puberty displays zero respect for the tradition of drum corps -so why should they get it back?

Seriously? Do we have to bring narration into every single thread on this forum?

Edited by TerpCorpsNut