Drum and Brass Corps

If you want to change the name to reflect the state of the art then it should be, " Run and Dance troupe", but if you want to make some cash too, then make it "Run and Dance troupe, sponsored by.... insert business name here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to change the name to reflect the state of the art then it should be, " Run and Dance troupe", but if you want to make some cash too, then make it "Run and Dance troupe, sponsored by.... insert business name here.

"Now that's funny right there". Larry the Cable Guy

I just patented that. "Run and Dance Troupe," I own thee.

I disagree with you.

First off you folks are funny. You allow DCI and others to create something that is not Drum Corps. I remember the days when the HS and Collage bands were trying to be like us. Tell me you DCI folks how much does it cost to run an entire season, and then how much does it cost per member. DCI then changed the brass market when DCI choose to have there corps use Bb horns. Now I know what you are going to say that DCI only "suggested" but I got to ask you will a corps using G bugles be judged the same as a corps using Bb? Now I know the other point of view, "we can get band kids in here without them changing a thing. Well I remember a few Drum Corps that had there own "feeder" corps. Kids that were trained how to play with a goal to be part of the completive corps. Now it seams to me that we are saying "let the schools do it". I can go on here about how I feel about the end of Drum Corps but we are talking about should we have a name change in what we do? I say yes, if you are going to use Bb horns then let us change the name to Drum and Brass corps.

Let's kep it the way it is, and let's go ahead and close this thread too.

Originator, you must have been very bored.

Can anyone find a definition of "bugle" that says anything about the key of G? Anywhere? Here's what I can find after a quick search:

Answers.com

n. Music.

A brass wind instrument somewhat shorter than a trumpet and lacking keys or valves.

Dictionary.com

1. a brass wind instrument resembling a cornet and sometimes having keys or valves, used typically for sounding military signals.

Right now, I see nothing to justify the notion that corps stopped playing on "bugles" when they switched from G to Bb.